PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   How many of you switched to the Pre from the Touch Pro? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=100226)

PaulB007 12-05-2009 12:48 PM

How many of you switched to the Pre from the Touch Pro?

Let me tell you, the Touch Pro had to be the WORST phone I have ever owned. It always locked up, it was so god awfully slow too. The keyboard went out a few times, and I kept getting the oil spot on it. I said the hell with it and bought a Pre off contract for $300. I just couldnt take it anymore and had enough. I am so much better off. This phone isnt exactly perfect, usually requires one restart a day to prevent lag/other bugs after its been on more than a day, but thats tolerable.

Any other former TP users who are more satisfied now?

spiritcrusher33 12-05-2009 01:29 PM

Re: How many of you switched to the Pre from the Touch Pro?

well i used th tp for bout a month..but most part of the year used a diamond..and have had a vogue.mogul, 6700 before that..used bb curve and pearl.. centro..moto q9c..a snap,, what else?

I have to say even though the pre has its ups and downs..mostly hardware related..I am very happy atm..outta all the wm programs i had prolly 30 or so..only use basicly 4 of them..and the pre does the 4 perfectly. got myself a seidio 2600mAh extended battery.. ( cause i like to use my phone and not be tied to a outlet..and the touchstone is to expensive to put everywhere in my house and car.) I baby my phones and totally take care of them so im used to being very careful which u kinda have to with the pre.. anyway my point is im happy alot of other users are to..but as with anything for every 1 person like me who tells u they love it. u will have 5 others saying the iphone is better or tp2 kicks arse..

so right now the pre works for me..if u want to lose the hassle of finding roms and tweaking til the cows come home on wm..then the pre is for u..me i just needed a break for wm spent way to much time and never got to sit back and enjoy the phone..with the pre i can just sit back now..flash is coming 1st of the year... thats gonna rock big time..more app and such are coming more updates etc.. the pre is only 6months old.. it hasnt even had time to breath yet..but good things are coming..

Carla 12-05-2009 05:55 PM

I am similar to Spirit, I used the TP for a while, had a lot of issues, so I traded my husband for his Diamond, and I was happy with the Diamond, but I always wanted more ya know.

I love the Pre, a lot of people that don't use it, or that only play with it for 5 minutes have trouble understanding why I, or we, like it so much. Honestly, IMO once you play with it and get the OS down and how to do everything it is awesome!

tn_friend 12-05-2009 07:19 PM

I switched from the touch pro.... the Pre is an awesome phone, being able to multi-task so easily, and using gestures to easily use every app is great

johnny hotsauce 12-05-2009 10:22 PM

I went from a TP to a TP2 for the same reasons as the OP, I just couldn't take the thing any longer. About a month after having the TP2 my boss asked me if I wanted his month old Pre for $50 bucks since work was giving him a BB and he no longer needed the Pre so I jumped on it.

Now I have to admit the TP2 is a great device and what the TP1 should've been so I can't complain one bit about the TP2 and I plan on upgrading to WM 6.5 when it's officially out just to play around with it but as for the Pre, I haven't looked back to WM once ever since I've been using the Pre. WebOS is simply amazing and for the most part, just works. Providing Palm can stay afloat, I really look forward to the future of WebOS and how it can evolve.

Rumrunner6900 12-05-2009 11:11 PM

Count me in as one coming from a TP. I actually liked my TP a lot. Tweaking and flashing became kind of addictive. Had some problems with it though and I got the itch for a new phone, so I turned it in for a Pre.

My brother has one, and I played with it a few months ago. I didnt like it at first. Seemed kind of strange with all the swiping.

Now, I love this thing. The multi tasking ability is really great. If you want to tweak, you can. If not, everything still works! The browser is great. Having a nice capacitive screen is great. There is so much to like about this phone. Yes, the battery life is terrible, but after coming from my TP, I barely notice. Ill definitely hold onto this phone for a while.

conflikt 12-06-2009 12:49 AM

Mine will be here Monday or Tuesday so i will give you guys my thoughts on it. :headbang:

I also ordered this case http://www.justaccessories-discounts...ter-for/Detail it looks pretty awesome! I got myself a car charger for $5 as well on ebay and it is the OEM Sprint one. I am also ordering the touchstone charger!

z28marols1 12-07-2009 02:32 PM

+1

My TP was freaking awesome when i first got it last year (I came from a mogul so the TP seemed nice at that point). After about 45 days I started getting dissappointed. After going through some refurbs and more issues I spent more time holding back the urge to throw the thing through a brick wall than actually using it for what I should have been able to do with it. Last week I finally convinced sprint to do something about it and they did. So, with almost a week under my belt with the Pre, I have to say... I'm impressed! With a handful of hacks off of preware this phone does everything I want it to and does it beautifully. My TP looks like such a brick next to the Pre its not even funny. I seriously considered the TP2, however, i really want a break from WM and resistive touch screens (I cant tell you even after turning up the sensitivity in TF3D how many times I executed a swipe but the phone interpreted a tap).

My thoughts after having 3 WM phones in a row: Loved winmo when 5 first came out and I had the Apache. Since then its.... old. The Pre and WebOS walks all over it. And as far as an iPhone comparison (I use a 3rd gen iPod touch on a regular basis), the screen is slightly more responsive on the touch, but the lack of multi-tasking makes it a no brainer. Also the battery life between me and my friends with iPhones are about the same, however, if I choose I may carry an extra battery and swap it out or simply buy an extended battery. My friends with iPhones are leaving their phones at the work station plugged in the wall cuz they died on them. :-)

NinjaMom 12-08-2009 11:41 AM

Pre > TP period.

spiritcrusher33 12-09-2009 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1396145)
Pre > TP period.

exactly.....

BrandiBran 12-09-2009 11:22 AM

I did!!! I was offered a Pre as a replacement for my broken Touch Pro, so I took it. :) It's a pretty cool phone, I miss some things about my touch pro tho.

spiritcrusher33 12-09-2009 01:17 PM

same here. i miss opera mini for one..and a few small other things.. but i think if i get a back up phone.. it will be either a tp2 or a moment..but the pre will be my main..

Carla 12-09-2009 08:18 PM

I hear the Moment is awesome, and very fast.

spiritcrusher33 12-10-2009 09:10 AM

ya i think thats what im looking at for a spare phone.. shouldnt be too much come feb 1st for my upgrade..since using the pre everything just works..so dont have to fool around nearly as much like wm..so im just looking for something to mess with on the side.. and the moment looks like a good contender.

RossZ32 12-26-2009 02:07 AM

former TP owner right here....current Pre owner and VERY satisfied with it, to me Windows Mobile is a thing of the past, i just look at myself and say: "damn...i was using Windows Mobile for over a year??...how did i manage THAT??..." lol

however, i do think the TP hardware is better, but its no deal breaker and the Pre competes with iPhone, the TP doesnt.

WebOS FTW!!! :D

thezboee 12-27-2009 11:19 PM

Called today and complained about my Touch Pro and I said yes to a Pre. It's shipping tomorrow and I'll have it the day after. I'm excited. I don't know why I waited so long to get away from the TP. I don't think I can own another WinMo phone.

info[]box1 12-28-2009 12:02 AM

I went from the Touch Pro to the Pre and then on to something else. But there is a few things I miss about the Pre. Great Phone...

wudstock54 12-28-2009 12:12 AM

I switched from Touch Pro to a Pre. At first I missed Windows Mobile but with all the available patches for the pre I wouldn't consider going back. I'm not crazy about the physical phone but really like the webos and it's possibilities in the future. One thing I really don't like on the Pre is the terrible battery life. The Touch Pro with a custom rom was ok on battery life. My Pre is constantly on charge just to make it thru a business day. I still tinker on my Treo Pro to satisfy my cravings for change.

Biggnaa20 12-28-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulB007 (Post 1388520)
Let me tell you, the Touch Pro had to be the WORST phone I have ever owned. It always locked up, it was so god awfully slow too. The keyboard went out a few times, and I kept getting the oil spot on it. I said the hell with it and bought a Pre off contract for $300. I just couldnt take it anymore and had enough. I am so much better off. This phone isnt exactly perfect, usually requires one restart a day to prevent lag/other bugs after its been on more than a day, but thats tolerable.

Any other former TP users who are more satisfied now?

I came from the HTC succession (Apache/Mogul/Touch Pro) and found that I missed the utility of the more powerful WinMo programs and customizaiton.

I switched back to the Touch Pro, spent all day tweaking the OS to what I'd need it to be and STILL switched back to the Pre at the end of the day. The Pre may have a long way to go to really be a WinMo replacement (for a POWER user), but damn it's easy actually USE it.

Though I am peeved waiting for somethings, I am glad I gave the Pre a try and won't be able to go back to WinMo until it gets less clunky.

nb

mwheeler1982 12-28-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thezboee (Post 1441028)
Called today and complained about my Touch Pro and I said yes to a Pre. It's shipping tomorrow and I'll have it the day after. I'm excited. I don't know why I waited so long to get away from the TP. I don't think I can own another WinMo phone.

ditto. I called today. Pre is shipping overnight.

My wife has a Pixi so I'm already familiar with WebOS. Even her Pixi is WAY better than my Touch Pro.

sryans2004 12-29-2009 11:26 PM

Well I feel a lot better after reading all these posts. I called Saturday night about my Touch Pro and they gave me options between the Pre, BB, HTC Snap & something else. I really wanted a TP2 but they weren't going for that. So I said to send on the pre. Should be here tomorrow.. I'm excited but was nervous because I love my Touch Pro even with all the problems I have been having with it. Mainly the keyboard hence the fact I text a lot and the Pre keyboard looks so small. but you guys made me feel better all saying you like the pre much more then the TP. So I'm even more excited to get my pre tomorrow! Thanks & I'll let ya know my opinon on it :)

rezistrat 12-30-2009 03:02 PM

Same here, I am due for an update and was thinking Android but my Touch Pro started resetting itself like my first one did. Took it in for repair and they offered me other phones with the Pre being the most interesting. I Figured if I don't like it I have 30 days to get another touch pro or something else.

Well Love the phone, I tweaked the Touch incessantly but with the Pre although I could root it I don't feel the need to just yet. The only major issues is the mic on my model is bad (It's a refurb phone so I'm sure this was it's original issue anyway). I can talk using the headset (Which I had to ask for as it wasn't going to be given with the phone), however no one can hear me when I speak. Going to go back and have Sprint order another Pre.

The Camera is simply wonderful. the UI is very nice. It's a bit frustrating because there is no menu for settings like the Winmo devices. Slowly I'm getting used to it. Gestures are very nice, and multi touch is at this point a must have for me.

I'd say battery life is with heavy use about the same as my Touch pro.

Another really bad thing is no SD card slot so the 8 gig card I bought for my Touch pro is of no use.

All in all I'd say vast improvement over Touch pro. Better question is how well does this do against Hero, or the Moment?

B18DelSolT 01-03-2010 07:46 PM

Greatest mobile move i have ever done, till windows mobile picks up there game im going to deffinatly stick with palm.

sabinblitz 01-04-2010 01:42 PM

I just got the Palm Pre and my girlfriend the HTC Hero. I switched from the TP and can say I have no regrets. Updated to 1.3.5 out of the box. App store is sleak, Preware works great as well. Love being able to drag icons and rearrange. The call menu isn't the slickest but universal search does work from inside of it so you can just grab a number that way. Still, I kind of miss having the missed calls popping up when you open it up. Notifications are great, internet browsing is amazing. The default ROM on TP was terrible for web browsing. My last rom was the NRG ROM (12/21 I think) and although it had a fairly slick interface, the speed of the TP is a major deterrent.

As for the Hero, I felt it was slightly sluggish until my girlfriend did the update. Seems to run very snappy, web browsing I think is a little slower than my Pre. However, it has waaayyy more apps than the Pre. I haven't tried loading a custom ROM on her's yet, but at the same time, I almost feel I don't need to. If custom ROM's weren't available on my TP, I would've returned it probably. So overall, both phones run very well. One issue I have with my Pre is the battery life icon being inaccurate. I went from 100% to about 73% fairly slowly over the course of the day but then it started free falling to 33% and then slowed down again. I wasn't doing anything really too intensive except web browsing (and running Pandora at times). If your close to an upgrade though, I'd wait for this year's phones on Sprint. That Snapdragon chipset should be awfully fast.

sryans2004 01-04-2010 07:45 PM

Well I can offically say I am a new member to the Palm Pre community. I got this phoen today around 2pm, its 6 and im so in love with it LOL. This phone beats the Touch Pro, I thought for sure I would miss the TP but I dont. Im ready to pack it up and send it back to sprint asap! The camera is GREAT. Compared to the Touch Pro its the best! I was worried about the keyboard because my girlfriend has a cheap AT&T Samsung Magnet and the keyboards look alike, and i hate hers, but this actually works pretty good. I can actually do one hand texting. Although I will miss the TP keyboard. But if you're wondering if you should switch to a Palm Pre from a Touch Pro. Go for it. I promise you will LOVE IT. (unless you get a bad one)

Cyorke 01-08-2010 01:43 AM

Well I had the TP. I thought I would really like the TP and found someone to trade a new q9C for the the TP. Both were about 3 months old when we traded.

Within about 3 weeks the screen quit responding and was peeling up. SO it was replaced with a reman. Within about a month of that one the d-pad quit working. SO it was replaced again. Well that phone was working just fine but I got a bluetooth headset for Christmas and it would not pair with my phone.

I took it to the Sprint store and they told me it was the headset. I took it back and exchanged it for a different brand. Well that one would not pair either.

I called Sprint and went through all of the advance tech support. Final thing was doa master reset and see what happens. Well that didnt work either. I called back and they gave me my options of replacement phones. Well it just so happens my brother in law works for Sprint. I called him to get his opinion and he said do the Pre. SO I got the pre three days later and I love it so far. played with it a little and added some homebrew and app store apps. Havent tried doing anything as far as rooting but who knows. SO far I love it.

it is much more responsive and it just works when you want it to. I too feel the feel of the build quality is not as high as the TP but I had two replaced due to poor build quality concerns.

gdkalyanapu 01-13-2010 01:01 AM

I came from TP too. I was in the market looking for a nice mobile with keypad. I dont like the touchscreen keypad and that's the reason I picked mogul<TP<Pre. All I could say about Pre is I like it's size. It fits very well in my hands. Like the Cards, WebOS and everything. I felt like I lacked something in it and wanted to move to Hero. However, after giving it a thought, I wanted to stick to Pre because, even though there are lot of apps out there, I wouldn't use more than 50 or so on my Mobile whether it be Pre or Hero or Tp2. And like Apple, Palm only can manufacture the WebOS. So, no competition like HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, Nexus etc which all use Android. One OS, different manufatcurers sometime will have its toll later.

cellboothmgr 01-13-2010 05:53 PM

i went from a TP to a pre and sold my TP. i then got my wife a pre as well. after about 6ish months i needed something new to toy with so i bought an old beat up used TP for 125 bucks and had sprint swap me for a TP2. so far im happy switching to the TP2...im sure i will be back and forth between the TP2 and the pre...or moment if i can get a hold of one

iknight8 01-15-2010 10:33 AM

well i had the treo 800w before i had to get a new phone and i went to TP2... as much as i wanted the pre but im really happy with the tp2 and my contract doesn't allow me to activate the pre so yeah... but im very happy with my tp2!!!

TechnoBoy 01-26-2010 08:31 PM

I just switched to the Pre from a TP2. I was ready to get away from windows mobile.

MikeElGiga23 01-27-2010 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechnoBoy (Post 1518762)
I just switched to the Pre from a TP2. I was ready to get away from windows mobile.

ditto.

now I'm amazed on how webOS has grown since it came out. When I got my first Pre in July I was really dissapointed by how much it lacked and now I'm playing Assasins Creed in full friggin 3D!! I am extremely happy with my Pre and now is the best time to jump on the bandwagon with the new PDK making and hardcore app or game possible with our 3GS-like chips

newone757 01-27-2010 03:36 AM

I switched from a tp2 as well and im not looking back at all. I hate even touching my tp2 now its a backup phone

IFMISM 01-27-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike20PR (Post 1519484)
ditto.

now I'm amazed on how webOS has grown since it came out. When I got my first Pre in July I was really dissapointed by how much it lacked and now I'm playing Assasins Creed in full friggin 3D!! I am extremely happy with my Pre and now is the best time to jump on the bandwagon with the new PDK making and hardcore app or game possible with our 3GS-like chips

I see you got your pre back. I have the tp2 and the hero, currently trying to get my pre back too. So tell me is it better than the hero because I am missing webos and multitasking

MikeElGiga23 01-27-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IFMISM (Post 1519988)
I see you got your pre back. I have the tp2 and the hero, currently trying to get my pre back too. So tell me is it better than the hero because I am missing webos and multitasking

depends on what you use it for.

I use my Pre mainly for web browsing, music and games (recently lol thanx to 3D games and Visualboy Avance) and it rocks in every category.

Everything aout webOS is so elegant and well done i cant ask for a better browser, email app, sms app, music app etc. in one package. Screen is much nicer and more vibrant than the Hero (64 million colors vs 16k) Multitasking is second to none, camera is MUCH BETTER, And after the performance boost of the 1.3.5 update, its faster than the Hero in almost every way since it does have a ARM Cortex A8 that its being put to good use and i believe it will be able to handle flash 10 better than the Hero with it

The only thing i need to completly forget than any other OS exists is a full featured native file manager app (or something like Astro) and ability to freely download anything via the web. Im in no rush so im completely happy with the pre as opposed to the Hero which was awesome but drove me over the edge with slow browser and text imput <---- but if the Hero had a faster CPU in the first place, i never would have left it

QnzMobb 02-04-2010 04:07 AM

after a yr with the TP i just switched to the Pre and let me tell you i haven't put the pre down since i got it .. while the pre isn't prefect by far i've had a couple of lag issues and a very annoying email issue its 10x the phone the TP wish it could have been for half the price!

InsomniacJedi 02-08-2010 02:11 AM

The Pre might be better than the TP, but it can't hold a candle to my Touch Pro 2.

I had a Pre from launch and it was TERRIBLE. Everytime the hardware on it broke I'd have to manually put all my contacts back in. The Palm Profile would somehow magically lose all but 2 of them.

I loved the Pre when I first got it...but after about 90 days and 3 different Pre's because they kept breaking, I got the Touch Pro 2 and I haven't looked back since.

drvon 02-11-2010 12:27 AM

I have now jumped ship from the touch pro to a palm pre, and loving every moment.

SteveAlaniz 02-11-2010 06:28 PM

New radical Pre convert here too. I was offered this model to replace my TP, that decided to just crap out a little each day. By the end, the screen only functioned if I had one finger depressing it at all times, and keyboard failure, blah blah blah.

I have to be honest and state that I walked into a Sprint store determined to get a TP2. The Pre seemed like such a downgrade and I never really gave it a second thought. But after playing around with one in the store, I realized it was everything I ever tried to accomplish with my TP. I almost felt embarrassed thinking about how long I spent perusing through posts trying to find a reg. edit(s) to speed things up, or flashing the latest ROMs on a holy quest to make WinMo look and feel like a pleasant experience. After tinkering around with a TP2, that has a great screen size and keyboard, I was not impressed at all. It would be like upgrading from a Camaro to a stock Corvette, with the same 'ol engine under the hood: Windows Mobile. I can't imagine HTC, or any other phone manufacturer, still producing Windows phones for much longer without a major overhaul to the operating system.

FOR TP OWNERS ON THE FENCE...GET THE PRE!! Everything is smooth and snappy, screen is bright and colorful, and no more naked flash dances! If you're scared you won't have that "complete control" feeling, don't be. There are tons of apps, tweaks, and themes to juice it up. Updates are downloaded OTA, and don't kill any data either. What's really exciting is the new 1.4 update, which will hopefully pave the way for integrated flash, and include a few new cool features.

ale896 02-18-2010 12:40 PM

MEEEE!!!

I got the Pre on a warranty exchange from the TP, and I LOVE this phone! Battery life is horrible, but other than that, the phone WORKS! I am getting used to the Pre, coming from Windows Mobile (since the T-Mobile Dash!) but I am loving the options for programs, and I love its snappiness! I wanted to try another type of phone to see if I could survive without Windows Mobile, and so far, so good!

BrandiBran 02-25-2010 11:22 AM

I switched from TP to Pre... I thought it was normal to have lockups everyday and stuff... UNTIL I got the Pre. I actually was offered the Pre when I took my TP into a repair center, and had no idea how cool it was. But I like it.

I miss a few things about my TP, like Windows Remote Desktop feature which allowed me to log in to my work computer from anywhere. And I miss miss miss SKYFIRE. But other than that... I like the Pre's performance.

I need to just break down and spend $60 on that 2600ma extended life battery, then I'll be in heaven. :)