PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G :)
Carrier: Sprint

sryans2004 is keeping up the good worksryans2004 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to sryans2004
Re: How many of you switched to the Pre from the Touch Pro?

Well I feel a lot better after reading all these posts. I called Saturday night about my Touch Pro and they gave me options between the Pre, BB, HTC Snap & something else. I really wanted a TP2 but they weren't going for that. So I said to send on the pre. Should be here tomorrow.. I'm excited but was nervous because I love my Touch Pro even with all the problems I have been having with it. Mainly the keyboard hence the fact I text a lot and the Pre keyboard looks so small. but you guys made me feel better all saying you like the pre much more then the TP. So I'm even more excited to get my pre tomorrow! Thanks & I'll let ya know my opinon on it
Old 12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

rezistrat is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Same here, I am due for an update and was thinking Android but my Touch Pro started resetting itself like my first one did. Took it in for repair and they offered me other phones with the Pre being the most interesting. I Figured if I don't like it I have 30 days to get another touch pro or something else.

Well Love the phone, I tweaked the Touch incessantly but with the Pre although I could root it I don't feel the need to just yet. The only major issues is the mic on my model is bad (It's a refurb phone so I'm sure this was it's original issue anyway). I can talk using the headset (Which I had to ask for as it wasn't going to be given with the phone), however no one can hear me when I speak. Going to go back and have Sprint order another Pre.

The Camera is simply wonderful. the UI is very nice. It's a bit frustrating because there is no menu for settings like the Winmo devices. Slowly I'm getting used to it. Gestures are very nice, and multi touch is at this point a must have for me.

I'd say battery life is with heavy use about the same as my Touch pro.

Another really bad thing is no SD card slot so the 8 gig card I bought for my Touch pro is of no use.

All in all I'd say vast improvement over Touch pro. Better question is how well does this do against Hero, or the Moment?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT

Greatest mobile move i have ever done, till windows mobile picks up there game im going to deffinatly stick with palm.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sabinblitz is just getting started

I just got the Palm Pre and my girlfriend the HTC Hero. I switched from the TP and can say I have no regrets. Updated to 1.3.5 out of the box. App store is sleak, Preware works great as well. Love being able to drag icons and rearrange. The call menu isn't the slickest but universal search does work from inside of it so you can just grab a number that way. Still, I kind of miss having the missed calls popping up when you open it up. Notifications are great, internet browsing is amazing. The default ROM on TP was terrible for web browsing. My last rom was the NRG ROM (12/21 I think) and although it had a fairly slick interface, the speed of the TP is a major deterrent.

As for the Hero, I felt it was slightly sluggish until my girlfriend did the update. Seems to run very snappy, web browsing I think is a little slower than my Pre. However, it has waaayyy more apps than the Pre. I haven't tried loading a custom ROM on her's yet, but at the same time, I almost feel I don't need to. If custom ROM's weren't available on my TP, I would've returned it probably. So overall, both phones run very well. One issue I have with my Pre is the battery life icon being inaccurate. I went from 100% to about 73% fairly slowly over the course of the day but then it started free falling to 33% and then slowed down again. I wasn't doing anything really too intensive except web browsing (and running Pandora at times). If your close to an upgrade though, I'd wait for this year's phones on Sprint. That Snapdragon chipset should be awfully fast.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G :)

sryans2004 is keeping up the good worksryans2004 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to sryans2004

Well I can offically say I am a new member to the Palm Pre community. I got this phoen today around 2pm, its 6 and im so in love with it LOL. This phone beats the Touch Pro, I thought for sure I would miss the TP but I dont. Im ready to pack it up and send it back to sprint asap! The camera is GREAT. Compared to the Touch Pro its the best! I was worried about the keyboard because my girlfriend has a cheap AT&T Samsung Magnet and the keyboards look alike, and i hate hers, but this actually works pretty good. I can actually do one hand texting. Although I will miss the TP keyboard. But if you're wondering if you should switch to a Palm Pre from a Touch Pro. Go for it. I promise you will LOVE IT. (unless you get a bad one)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Cyorke is a n00b

Well I had the TP. I thought I would really like the TP and found someone to trade a new q9C for the the TP. Both were about 3 months old when we traded.

Within about 3 weeks the screen quit responding and was peeling up. SO it was replaced with a reman. Within about a month of that one the d-pad quit working. SO it was replaced again. Well that phone was working just fine but I got a bluetooth headset for Christmas and it would not pair with my phone.

I took it to the Sprint store and they told me it was the headset. I took it back and exchanged it for a different brand. Well that one would not pair either.

I called Sprint and went through all of the advance tech support. Final thing was doa master reset and see what happens. Well that didnt work either. I called back and they gave me my options of replacement phones. Well it just so happens my brother in law works for Sprint. I called him to get his opinion and he said do the Pre. SO I got the pre three days later and I love it so far. played with it a little and added some homebrew and app store apps. Havent tried doing anything as far as rooting but who knows. SO far I love it.

it is much more responsive and it just works when you want it to. I too feel the feel of the build quality is not as high as the TP but I had two replaced due to poor build quality concerns.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

gdkalyanapu is a n00b

I came from TP too. I was in the market looking for a nice mobile with keypad. I dont like the touchscreen keypad and that's the reason I picked mogul<TP<Pre. All I could say about Pre is I like it's size. It fits very well in my hands. Like the Cards, WebOS and everything. I felt like I lacked something in it and wanted to move to Hero. However, after giving it a thought, I wanted to stick to Pre because, even though there are lot of apps out there, I wouldn't use more than 50 or so on my Mobile whether it be Pre or Hero or Tp2. And like Apple, Palm only can manufacture the WebOS. So, no competition like HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, Nexus etc which all use Android. One OS, different manufatcurers sometime will have its toll later.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

cellboothmgr is becoming a great contributor

i went from a TP to a pre and sold my TP. i then got my wife a pre as well. after about 6ish months i needed something new to toy with so i bought an old beat up used TP for 125 bucks and had sprint swap me for a TP2. so far im happy switching to the TP2...im sure i will be back and forth between the TP2 and the pre...or moment if i can get a hold of one
Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

iknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good workiknight8 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to iknight8

well i had the treo 800w before i had to get a new phone and i went to TP2... as much as i wanted the pre but im really happy with the tp2 and my contract doesn't allow me to activate the pre so yeah... but im very happy with my tp2!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

TechnoBoy is just getting started

I just switched to the Pre from a TP2. I was ready to get away from windows mobile.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre