PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The inside scoop with 6.5.1

Hey guys-
I was at a technology showcase in NYC recently (on press pass), and found myself hanging out by a table set up for Microsoft to advertise the new Windows Phone models.

Aside from drooling over the Touch HD 2, I managed to speak to a MS representative for a while... After all, I've got tons of questions about the future of the OS.

Anyway, long story short- he confirmed that 6.5.1 is not actually going to be the name of the new UI (it would appear that name was given in the forums since they didn't know what else to call it), but even more interestingly, it may not even be a new version of the OS!

I wrote up a rather long winded post about it on mopocket.com (after all, they got me the press pass to begin with):
http://www.mopocket.com/2009/11/wind...side-scoop.php

Figured folks on this board would find that information interesting.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

nanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnanoware is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: The inside scoop with 6.5.1

great article man, now it makes sense lol....
Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Yeah, I'm actually kind of relieved to hear MS wasn't planning this as a device-wide update. I tried it a bunch of times because most people seem to like it, but it just seems awfully cluttered to me.
I admit that I understand this is a personal preference, but its good to have choices and at least MS admits that they weren't necessarily thinking of releasing this on all future devices when they designed it.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

well informative totally blows my theory taht this is an evolution toward windows 7 and from what we have seen from the mockups a startless task menu
very good information
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Nice read. I never liked the 6.5.1 roms that were cooked here or at xda. The small screen on my touch pro has only been great to me cause of the 480x640 vga that gives great images comparied to the qvga screan on my previous titan. It is a crisper image. Yet it is still a small screan. Taking away even the smallest amount of usable space on the bottom by making the bottom curtain larger was not the best idea i felt ms was leading to. I was also disappointed that a few apps that have the 'ok' that you have to click on top curtain to get them to actually run in background (i.e. pocket rar) that 'ok' button was gone. I was under the impression that this is were ms was going and taking it to wm7 and have begun my search for a new platform. Was concidering the iphone, but now leaning towards android as I am an htc fan. But to see that 6.5.1-2-3 and even the new vetvito 6.5.4 are all conjered up by the brilliant minds of the forums and not microsoft, I may just hold onto my touch pro knowing that something better is coming. I might go with the hero for a while as I wait to see what ms comes out with.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

Nice write up, this is much more news worthy to just sit in the General PPC Forum.

Moved To Pocket PC News Forum!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 PM
AWESOME VIP Member!!
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 - SIM & HSPL unlocked
Carrier: Verizon

WhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuffWhiteBlazer01 knows their stuff

Nice article! I'm definitely looking forward to the capacitive touch screen, but wonder if they will maintain some form of precise accuracy, and also the stylus. I heard a special stylus will be needed (if at all). Never really considered the downside of capacitive, but now that screens are getting bigger, I guess it's okay.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives