PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Sprint: Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Updates Coming (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93349)

racemepls 10-29-2009 04:23 PM

Sprint: Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Updates Coming

Sprint executive David Owens sat down for a virtual chat on Sprint's Web site with consumers today, and updated folks with some good news about his carrier's plans.

Sprint's David Owns provided some information about what the company will be doing later this year and next year with respect to its phones and services. Owens confirmed that both the HTC Hero and Samsung Moment will receive Android updates, though he didn't specify to which version. Sprint is looking into offering dual-mode CDMA/GSM Android devices, but has no set plans. It is, however, considering an Android phone that offers functionality similar to Novatel's MiFi router. Owens said it will be selling lots of Android devices from HTC in 2010, and that he expects price points to come down as the platform is more widely adopted. On the Windows Mobile front, it is currently testing an update to WinMo 6.5 for the TouchPro2, but Owens wouldn't commit to a release schedule. Sprint hopes to offer Windows Mobile 7 phones as soon as possible, but is dependent on Microsoft to prepare it. As for Sprint's BlackBerry offerings, the Tour will gain Wi-Fi, and Sprint will release other Wi-Fi-enabled BlackBerries. Last, Owens noted that WiMax phones will be available next year, and that it will no longer allow tethering on its smartphones.

No more teathering from a smartphone? hahaha I'm glad I'm a ppcgeek member!

source: phonescoop.com

Journeyjeans 10-29-2009 04:38 PM

Re: Sprint: Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile Updates Coming

No tethering???

Someone smack him please.

wmdunn 10-29-2009 04:49 PM

Take it easy, boys ... best to leave a sleeping dog alone.

racemepls 10-29-2009 04:56 PM

What was the point of HTC creating a wifirouter program if the carriors are moving away from teathering?

rb240z 10-29-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racemepls (Post 1276011)
What was the point of HTC creating a wifirouter program if the carriors are moving away from teathering?

Maybe htc wifirouter is the answer to carriers stopping teathering.

4wheelfurry 10-30-2009 08:34 AM

This is supposed to take effect early '10 which would cover all new windows phones. My bet is it starts with the TP2 6.5 upgrade and all 6.5 + OS thereafter...
How long will a reg fix or file patch keep working for a workaround? Is it possible Win could un-include the abilities in the sys files for Sprint? This is really disturbing news to me...

kidmet 11-05-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4wheelfurry (Post 1278134)
This is supposed to take effect early '10 which would cover all new windows phones. My bet is it starts with the TP2 6.5 upgrade and all 6.5 + OS thereafter...
How long will a reg fix or file patch keep working for a workaround? Is it possible Win could un-include the abilities in the sys files for Sprint? This is really disturbing news to me...

As long as it's unlocked, I am sure the old progs can be included in the kitchens for new ROMs.

demonlordoftheround 11-05-2009 03:18 PM

And of course there is no mention of the HD2.

MrObvious 11-05-2009 03:42 PM

Well there isn't much in the way of news for the HD2 for the US yet so Sprint may get it.

FalloutMan 11-05-2009 05:27 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/16643; U; en))

well look at sprints plan where you get your phone line plus another line for a data card for 150 (i think). they are just trying to bring in more money in a plan that looks simple to set up for the end user. a year ago youd walk into a sprint store and want a phone plan and a data card then you would be overwhelmed with plan info and unfamiliar expenses. now you say "i want internet for my laptop and a phone plan with unlim everything" and now they hand you a phone and hand you a usb data card and a $150 bill, which seems easier than it was.