PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   project dark from t-mobile (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91202)

darren.wlsn1 10-18-2009 05:30 PM

project dark from t-mobile

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/18/t...phones-in-mon/ cant afford your next ppc? pay for it monthly. lol

brownhornet 10-18-2009 08:28 PM

Re: project dark from t-mobile

Many would think this isnt a big deal... but for those that arent able to fork out $400+ initially on a phone this will be a huge deal for t-mobile. I'm telling you right now if they start this and they get the LEO ill just have to deal with their coverage because I will be switching.

ajac 10-19-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brownhornet (Post 1244888)
Many would think this isnt a big deal... but for those that arent able to fork out $400+ initially on a phone this will be a huge deal for t-mobile. I'm telling you right now if they start this and they get the LEO ill just have to deal with their coverage because I will be switching.

tmobile already does payment plans... have like 3 friends that have been doing it since right around the touch pro 2 releasing for Tmobile

wmdunn 10-19-2009 10:54 AM

Lots of scrambling beginning to take place with carriers. Something tells me that Walmart's entry onto the cell scene, will mix things up even further ...

MrObvious 10-19-2009 11:01 AM

If T-Mobile gets better coverage then hold on. lol

darren.wlsn1 10-19-2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1245744)
Lots of scrambling beginning to take place with carriers. Something tells me that Walmart's entry onto the cell scene, will mix things up even further ...

na, walmarts deal isnt data though, no phones over 100 bux. good plan for my mom but not me.

wmdunn 10-19-2009 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 1246014)
na, walmarts deal isnt data though, no phones over 100 bux. good plan for my mom but not me.

Don't be too quick. At first blush, I thought ... "never work for me, either". I'm told that it does include data, and that the primary infrastructure behind WM is Verizon. Who knows where it will lead ... but if it gets the other players attention, then ... who knows.

darren.wlsn1 10-19-2009 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wmdunn (Post 1246019)
Don't be too quick. At first blush, I thought ... "never work for me, either". I'm told that it does include data, and that the primary infrastructure behind WM is Verizon. Who knows where it will lead ... but if it gets the other players attention, then ... who knows.

i have a thread on it with a link, data isnt included.

neopanther 10-19-2009 01:44 PM

Because of my connections I have been doing this for some time. I think it is a very good idea. Having your bill go up maybe 10 20 bucks rather than paying outright is not a bad idea. T-mobile's coverage is still behind. I'm not interested in switching. Keep an eye on Sprint's stock. With their new plan I expect to see it climb. They are making some smart moves. Changing companies over a phone is a dumb idea. No offense.

neopanther 10-19-2009 01:47 PM

...and I'm in NO WAY interested in any cheap phones/plans like jitterbug or boost. Walmart getting into the fray is laughable. The flat 50.00 of some of those companies per month attracts people who are contract-phobic, but the problem is the coverage is no match for the big guys and isn't worth the time.

brownhornet 10-19-2009 09:53 PM

It may be laughable to you now as im sure MetroPCS was laughable to most of the big 3 carriers initially. They started small and local and with a pos line of phones... now they're expanding their coverage, adding smart phones and will pretty soon be adding evdo. Hell in a lot of places in Atlanta metro gets better coverage than both Sprint AND T-Mobile. When Metro goes national... because its going to be coming soon... they are going to take a boatload of the major carriers customers. Why do you think so many companies are going the route of $50 unlimited plans now? The days of the $100+ phone plans will be over soon. And this is Wal-Mart we're talking about here not some off brand store. Do you really think it'll be long before they offer smartphones & evdo?

And as far as Sprint goes... they really didnt have much choice but to make some changes. With the worst customer service and shedding customers like flies they didnt have much choice. Here in ATL Metro is taking a LARGE number of Sprint customers just based off of their $45 unlimited smart phone plans. See most consumers arent ppc geeks... thats something you have to keep in mind. Most people dont really care about their data speed or a large number of apps as long as they have coverage, texts and can make calls. Thats why metro is exploding and boost tried to follow suit (remember Sprint owns Boost).

CaliBoyPhillip 10-20-2009 12:56 AM

I personally would switch over ahaha paying 100$+ a month during this economic times... I would save good cash lol even tho I don't pay for my service obv lol my parents.

brownhornet 10-20-2009 01:30 AM

And that's why companies like metro are catching up. Its like why pay Sprint $99 for unlimited everything and goodness knows how much to verizon when you can get it for $45?

The only downside to it was it was very regional but their coverage is expanding pretty rapidly. Word has it they'll be gettin an android phone soon also. Metro is the main company forcing the big 3 to make adjustments around here.... thus sprint unlimited calls to any cell phone. I would go so far as to say 50% mr more of the people I talk to here have metro. If my line wasn't free I probably would too.

mphilip876 10-20-2009 02:05 AM

It sounds pretty well.....

Riley 10-20-2009 08:44 AM

The moral of the story, competition is good. Looks like t-mobile and walmart are shaking things up a little and will drive prices down for the other carriers if and only if they start losing the customer base. Our in Sprint's case, if there lose percentage goes up more :) But I will tell you in the end you get what you pay for. T-mobile coverage is good for the most part so long as you don't want fast and reliable data. To this day most of the country is edge still and even the 3g areas aren't lighting the world on fire. Friend of mine in Vegas gets 400-500kb tops there which is pretty slow and that was one of their initial rollout cities. My wife still has t-mobile so I will keep an open mind and possibly switch back to them but not unless they have real coverage in my area, which by the way is still edge. LOL

darren.wlsn1 10-21-2009 12:16 AM

i gota find more news, i love debates. lol great post above this one also,+1 riley.