PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
App store cab install workaround by Chainfire.

Quote:
Marketplace officially goes live tomorrow (even though it’s live today) but Chainfire tested out the security and to his surprise it took a mere 5 minutes to bypass the copyright security, thus letting him exchange ‘secure’ apps with anyone. He has not shared the method (which we would not share if it were disclosed) but he stated the following:
What it all comes down to is that there is no copy protection, not even at the advanced level, at least if they implement it in the way I interpret from reading that document.
So today I started up Marketplace and it worked. Hurrah. The current level of protection is making sure the CAB files are deleted upon install – which is obviously not a way to protect anything – but even this, I thought, should easily be circumventable.
Now, because I wanted to see how fast it could be done, I went with a hunch instead of doing any investigation. And that hunch worked like charm. It took me less than five minutes to circumvent this "protection", and get the ability to save the CABs the MarketPlace app downloads to a different folder.
Obviously I will not disclose the method, because that would be working against other commercial developers, and ultimately myself. It’s just to let you know how ridiculously easy it is, and to give fair warning to those looking to sell apps on the Marketplace.
So, the moral of the story is… WTF MICROSOFT?
I know firsthand there is no such thing as perfect copy protection, but this is just plain ridiculous.
What we really need is for apps to be able to use our own copy protection schemes… you know, like the good web-based app stores out there.

We’ll all see where this goes together…
Okay so i figured out how to save the cabs for free apps from the new apps store!!
Right now i only know how to do it with free apps.

Open up file explorer, i use resco explorer. Go into the \Temp\ folder. Then go into the app store, locate a free app, hit install, then go into file explorer you will see a cab at the bottom of the temp folder called MKPxxxxxxx.cab, wait till it the file size is more than 0 bytes, the copy it to another folder quick. Now you have the cab!
...i figured that out in 2 minutes pretty sad, a 17 year old got past microsofts security that quick... I hope Microsoft will get this fixed when the app store is official tomorrow!

Note: This is not how you can get the paid apps for free, im just telling you how to get the cab for apps you can download for free anyways!

Last edited by bikeandestroyx; 10-05-2009 at 09:29 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Kitchen Builder
Pocket PC: HTC Touch + Touch Diamond
Carrier: Telus

tobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the communitytobeychris is a trusted member of the community
Re: App store cracked by Chainfire.. and me!

This post has been reported, but there is really nothing illegal going on here, carry on.

Be warned that posting of any illegal actions (circumvention of copyright) will result in further actions being taken.

Last edited by tobeychris; 10-05-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Threadstarter

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: App store cracked by Chainfire.. and me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeychris View Post
This post has been reported, but there is really nothing illegal going on here, carry on.
Thanks, this is only how to get the free apps cab. If this needs to be removed feel free to do it.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: App store cab install workaround by Chainfire.

I was not a fan of "cracked" in the title, i have since edited it. Id like to also point out that if or when you do find out a way to steal from the App store. do not bother updating this thread with it.

thank you for understanding.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
I was not a fan of "cracked" in the title, i have since edited it. Id like to also point out that if or when you do find out a way to steal from the App store. do not bother updating this thread with it.

thank you for understanding.
Thanks i just copied the title from another site.
I definatly wouldnt do that. I'm not trying to spread warez, im not planing on figuring out how to steal from them either, i support all the developers.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
Thanks i just copied the title from another site.
I definatly wouldnt do that. I'm not trying to spread warez, im not planing on figuring out how to steal from them either, i support all the developers.
its all good, thanks for posting this. i know many who have app store issues but would like the new Live messenger mobile will be happy some one figured this out!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo_X View Post
its all good, thanks for posting this. i know many who have app store issues but would like the new Live messenger mobile will be happy some one figured this out!
I have the cab for the new live messenger i can post if you would like!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:33 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
I have the cab for the new live messenger i can post if you would like!
i have no need but others may.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

How about a way for Marketplace itself to run on 6.1
Old 10-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeza View Post
How about a way for Marketplace itself to run on 6.1
Im running market place on 6.1, i figured this out on 6.1
Just install one of the cabs floating around here in software forum./

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives