PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89198)

breakmyfootoff 10-06-2009 10:40 PM

Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200910...ireless_google

psycho_maniac 10-06-2009 11:20 PM

Re: Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones

aparently they dont care that they are selling the tp2 which to me is the iphone killer, even the diamond2 or hd2 would be the ipod killer.

breakmyfootoff 10-06-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1218962)
aparently they dont care that they are selling the tp2 which to me is the iphone killer, even the diamond2 or hd2 would be the ipod killer.

I kinda thought the same thing. I've really been anxious to see the Omnia2 in person and havent heard much about it either.

SporkLover 10-07-2009 12:29 AM

People toss around Iphone killer to easily.

Until there is a User Friendly interface, and a good native Music / Media Player, a decent App catalog and distribution method WM will never be there.

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1219113)

Until there is a User Friendly interface, and a good native Music / Media Player, a decent App catalog and distribution method WM will never be there.

Zune HD with a phone thrown in! We need it yesterday!

Noir 10-07-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1219113)

I know its like saying no phone will ever touch the iphone with its fantastic multitasking features and business aspects the phone has to offer. Plus the panoply of media that the apple iphone supports, it will be difficult to kill the iphone...

brandogg 10-07-2009 10:49 AM

No matter how fancy Verizon and Google make their phones, or anyone for that matter, no one will *ever* kill the iPhone. I am not a fan of the device, but there is simply no stopping it. They've sold over 20 million of them. There are many superior phones, but none of them will ever be as popular as the iPhone. The only way I could see someone catching with Apple, is if say Verizon and Nintendo teamed up to make a DSi phone.

tokuzumi 10-07-2009 11:18 AM

The iPhone didn't kill any device that was around at the time, nor has there been a device that has killed the iPhone. Are there users who selected another phone over the iPhone? Yes. Will there be users to pick the iPhone over another phone? Yes. No phone is a killer of another phone. The touch pro is not the mogul killer. The Touch Pro 2 is not the Touch Pro killer. The diamond 2 is not a diamond killer. Using the term "Phone" killer is a stupid term, and I hope it is a trend that dies quickly. We should replace the word "killer" with "competitor". That makes more sense, and leads to less arguments.

And to add something beneficial to the thread, Verizon has really stepped up their game as of late. I don't have any incentive to switch from Sprint, however, I applaud Verizon for stepping into the 21st century with their recent and upcoming phone selection. You go, big V!!!!

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1219805)
The iPhone didn't kill any device that was around at the time, nor has there been a device that has killed the iPhone. Are there users who selected another phone over the iPhone? Yes. Will there be users to pick the iPhone over another phone? Yes. No phone is a killer of another phone. The touch pro is not the mogul killer. The Touch Pro 2 is not the Touch Pro killer. The diamond 2 is not a diamond killer. Using the term "Phone" killer is a stupid term, and I hope it is a trend that dies quickly. We should replace the word "killer" with "competitor". That makes more sense, and leads to less arguments.

And to add something beneficial to the thread, Verizon has really stepped up their game as of late. I don't have any incentive to switch from Sprint, however, I applaud Verizon for stepping into the 21st century with their recent and upcoming phone selection. You go, big V!!!!

OMG!!! An unbiased and rational post! =D> Do get to see much of that on the ol intertubes anymore lol.

jbearamus 10-07-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220024)
OMG!!! An unbiased and rational post! =D> Do get to see much of that on the ol intertubes anymore lol.

hang him! there's no room for ration in these parts! :mrgreen:
anyway, i found this interesting b/c what everyone predicted palm would do with the Pre is what HTC did to the Hero and Sense
everyone figured Sprint has an exclusive on the Pre not WebOS so Palm could launch a different device on a different carrier but the software would be the same. Now the Hero has been undercut by HTC and Verizon b/c while Verizon won't have the "Hero" per se but they apparently will have an android phone with the form factor of the Hero while running Sense, bascially kills the "exclusivity" claim sprint had

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:39 PM

I still think the biggest reason for the iPhones success is advertising. Its definitely not a bad device, but you see commercials ALL THE TIME telling the world how great it is, and hardly ever a peep about Window Mobile phones. Most people dont even know what WM is, people ask me what kind of phone I have all the time and had no idea that there were phones that used a shrunk down version of the Windows operating system.

jbearamus 10-07-2009 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220046)
I still think the biggest reason for the iPhones success is advertising. Its definitely not a bad device, but you see commercials ALL THE TIME telling the world how great it is, and hardly ever a peep about Window Mobile phones. Most people dont even know what WM is, people ask me what kind of phone I have all the time and had no idea that there were phones that used a shrunk down version of the Windows operating system.

I saw it all the time with my TP and still do as I sell windows phones, why is this so much? well its a smart phone running windows mobile. Oh, theres a phone version of windows? yeah (for the last 5 years)

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220041)

LMAO, :p

tokuzumi 10-07-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220024)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220041)

Sorry....I'll head to the hardware store, and get some rope. I'll become the martyr for my beliefs ;)

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1220099)
Sorry....I'll head to the hardware store, and get some rope. I'll become the martyr for my beliefs ;)

That may be a bit extreme, maybe you can just get probation or something :p

jbearamus 10-07-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220109)
That may be a bit extreme, maybe you can just get probation or something :p

tracking device! :D

just giving you crap toku, i do agree with you; it shouldn't be this will kill that, it should be this competes because...

tokuzumi 10-07-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220113)
tracking device! :D

just giving you crap toku, i do agree with you; it shouldn't be this will kill that, it should be this competes because...

I was just trying to play along :mrgreen: Keep the momentum going, as they say.

jbearamus 10-07-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1220136)
I was just trying to play along :mrgreen: Keep the momentum going, as they say.

i kinda figured but i worry too much about coming off as an a** so i was just throwing that in to be sure

and is that rope ready or do you need helping tying it? :D

tokuzumi 10-07-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220183)
i kinda figured but i worry too much about coming off as an a** so i was just throwing that in to be sure

and is that rope ready or do you need helping tying it? :D

I was expecting to get flamed, but I said to myself "f-it...this is the internet..what have I got to lose?" I had to chuckle with your response, as well as breakmyfootoff.

I didn't make it very far in my scouts group...I only got my bobcat badge. So I need a little assistance with my knots. :twisted:

jbearamus 10-07-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1220208)
I was expecting to get flamed, but I said to myself "f-it...this is the internet..what have I got to lose?" I had to chuckle with your response, as well as breakmyfootoff.

I didn't make it very far in my scouts group...I only got my bobcat badge. So I need a little assistance with my knots. :twisted:

yeah that's how i should look at it but its just not natural for me to let people think i'm a douche (can i say that on the internet?)

oh, well i got farther than that but wasn't ever good at knots... maybe breakmy?

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 02:17 PM

I'm actually pretty good with knots, it's part of my job training :p (we actually get timed tying different kinds of knots) We dont practice making nooses though :disgust:

SporkLover 10-07-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1219136)
Zune HD with a phone thrown in! We need it yesterday!

The ZuneHD is a good step, but as long as MS keeps it a US Platform, and keeps the app development for it closed (no 3rd party SDK), the ZuneHD won't have much more than a fanboi base.

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1220288)
The ZuneHD is a good step, but as long as MS keeps it a US Platform, and keeps the app development for it closed (no 3rd party SDK), the ZuneHD won't have much more than a fanboi base.

True, I was trying to keep my post short and simple by just saying "throw in a phone" but there's definitely some integration that needs to go on there. Take the best parts of WM and mix it in with the Zune and you have a winner. Thats also assuming that the windows mobile market place is gonna continue to grow and improve.

jbearamus 10-07-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220282)
I'm actually pretty good with knots, it's part of my job training :p (we actually get timed tying different kinds of knots) We dont practice making nooses though :disgust:

do we dare ask what your job is? executioner?

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220342)
do we dare ask what your job is? executioner?

Firefighter, the executioners antagonist :p

jbearamus 10-07-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220355)
Firefighter, the executioners antagonist :p

well that would be a good reason to know your knots. didn't see that coming though

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1220368)
well that would be a good reason to know your knots. didn't see that coming though

Firemen can be PPC geeks too :p

jbearamus 10-07-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220379)
Firemen can be PPC geeks too :p

I never said they couldn't, I think we should have PPC geeks in every profession, everywhere :D
that just wouldn't have been my first guest