PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89198)

breakmyfootoff 10-06-2009 10:40 PM

Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/200910...ireless_google

psycho_maniac 10-06-2009 11:20 PM

Re: Verizon Wireless, Google to hunker down on phones

aparently they dont care that they are selling the tp2 which to me is the iphone killer, even the diamond2 or hd2 would be the ipod killer.

breakmyfootoff 10-06-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1218962)
aparently they dont care that they are selling the tp2 which to me is the iphone killer, even the diamond2 or hd2 would be the ipod killer.

I kinda thought the same thing. I've really been anxious to see the Omnia2 in person and havent heard much about it either.

SporkLover 10-07-2009 12:29 AM

People toss around Iphone killer to easily.

Until there is a User Friendly interface, and a good native Music / Media Player, a decent App catalog and distribution method WM will never be there.

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1219113)

Until there is a User Friendly interface, and a good native Music / Media Player, a decent App catalog and distribution method WM will never be there.

Zune HD with a phone thrown in! We need it yesterday!

Noir 10-07-2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1219113)

I know its like saying no phone will ever touch the iphone with its fantastic multitasking features and business aspects the phone has to offer. Plus the panoply of media that the apple iphone supports, it will be difficult to kill the iphone...

brandogg 10-07-2009 10:49 AM

No matter how fancy Verizon and Google make their phones, or anyone for that matter, no one will *ever* kill the iPhone. I am not a fan of the device, but there is simply no stopping it. They've sold over 20 million of them. There are many superior phones, but none of them will ever be as popular as the iPhone. The only way I could see someone catching with Apple, is if say Verizon and Nintendo teamed up to make a DSi phone.

tokuzumi 10-07-2009 11:18 AM

The iPhone didn't kill any device that was around at the time, nor has there been a device that has killed the iPhone. Are there users who selected another phone over the iPhone? Yes. Will there be users to pick the iPhone over another phone? Yes. No phone is a killer of another phone. The touch pro is not the mogul killer. The Touch Pro 2 is not the Touch Pro killer. The diamond 2 is not a diamond killer. Using the term "Phone" killer is a stupid term, and I hope it is a trend that dies quickly. We should replace the word "killer" with "competitor". That makes more sense, and leads to less arguments.

And to add something beneficial to the thread, Verizon has really stepped up their game as of late. I don't have any incentive to switch from Sprint, however, I applaud Verizon for stepping into the 21st century with their recent and upcoming phone selection. You go, big V!!!!

breakmyfootoff 10-07-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tokuzumi (Post 1219805)
The iPhone didn't kill any device that was around at the time, nor has there been a device that has killed the iPhone. Are there users who selected another phone over the iPhone? Yes. Will there be users to pick the iPhone over another phone? Yes. No phone is a killer of another phone. The touch pro is not the mogul killer. The Touch Pro 2 is not the Touch Pro killer. The diamond 2 is not a diamond killer. Using the term "Phone" killer is a stupid term, and I hope it is a trend that dies quickly. We should replace the word "killer" with "competitor". That makes more sense, and leads to less arguments.

And to add something beneficial to the thread, Verizon has really stepped up their game as of late. I don't have any incentive to switch from Sprint, however, I applaud Verizon for stepping into the 21st century with their recent and upcoming phone selection. You go, big V!!!!

OMG!!! An unbiased and rational post! =D> Do get to see much of that on the ol intertubes anymore lol.

jbearamus 10-07-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1220024)
OMG!!! An unbiased and rational post! =D> Do get to see much of that on the ol intertubes anymore lol.

hang him! there's no room for ration in these parts! :mrgreen:
anyway, i found this interesting b/c what everyone predicted palm would do with the Pre is what HTC did to the Hero and Sense
everyone figured Sprint has an exclusive on the Pre not WebOS so Palm could launch a different device on a different carrier but the software would be the same. Now the Hero has been undercut by HTC and Verizon b/c while Verizon won't have the "Hero" per se but they apparently will have an android phone with the form factor of the Hero while running Sense, bascially kills the "exclusivity" claim sprint had