PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   deutsche-telekom-eyeing-sprint-nextel-for-acquisition/ (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=84486)

capthr 09-13-2009 07:08 PM

deutsche-telekom-eyeing-sprint-nextel-for-acquisition/

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/13/d...r-acquisition/

good or bad?

Biggzz 09-13-2009 07:30 PM

Re: deutsche-telekom-eyeing-sprint-nextel-for-acquisition/

Better lock your plans in right before they take over!

Unaufhaltsam 09-13-2009 09:00 PM

I recall hearing this before quite a few months ago. Guess they're getting serious about it.

kariya 09-13-2009 09:26 PM

Im only for it if they allow SERO lol

dallas contractor 09-14-2009 10:19 AM

TMobile to Buy Sprint?

This showed up today, of course this has been talked anout before.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...o-Merge-104427

lie07 09-14-2009 10:31 AM

Re: TMobile to Buy Sprint?

F yes, they should freaking buy it... atleast us sprint user will have good phones ;)

aaronpoweruser 09-14-2009 11:02 AM

never going to happen a gsm carrier wouldnt buy a cdma one cause the network would b useless

Genjinaro 09-14-2009 11:08 AM

The source from the whole thing isn't reliable, plus I wouldn't want T-Mobile messing around with Sprint now that Sprint seems to be going well these past two months. It'd be better if T-Mobile feed that money into its U.S. counterpart's 3G network and compete with AT&T as the preferred GSM option.

psycho_maniac 09-14-2009 11:13 AM

then why did att buy some of alltel?

BruceBanner 09-14-2009 12:12 PM

yea if anything, verizon will buy sprint IMO....because of the whole gsm, cdma issue. why would one company want two different types of standards on there phones? and if would just cost too much money and time to replace everyones phones to one or the other.

jbearamus 09-14-2009 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1164077)

att didn't buy any of alltel or the actual network, they just swapped spectrum with Verizon so they could use it for their own gsm network. the trade was required by the FCC and DOJ to approve Verizon's buyout of Alltel

jbearamus 09-14-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lie07 (Post 1163993)
F yes, they should freaking buy it... atleast us sprint user will have good phones ;)

i think its pretty much accepted sprint gets some of the best phones be it exclusives (Pre, Hero) or none gimped hardware (Verizon - TP) or updating more than once in 3 years (Tmobile - Wing)

jbearamus 09-14-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBanner (Post 1164176)
yea if anything, verizon will buy sprint IMO....because of the whole gsm, cdma issue. why would one company want two different types of standards on there phones? and if would just cost too much money and time to replace everyones phones to one or the other.

Never happen, the FCC and DOJ made Verizon jump through a lot of hoops to get Alltel, letting the buyout of Sprint wouldn't happen b/c Verizon would be too big
and yeah buying other networks with different technologies doesn't work just ask Sprint Nextel. funny thing actually Dan Hesse (CEO Sprint) flat out said in an interview the other day that buying Nextel was a huge mistake that shouldn't have happened

i really need to learn how to multi-quote

obamaftw08 09-14-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1164208)
i think its pretty much accepted sprint gets some of the best phones be it exclusives (Pre, Hero) or none gimped hardware (Verizon - TP) or updating more than once in 3 years (Tmobile - Wing)

100% agreed.

Genjinaro 09-14-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1164208)

Thank you, many are quick to forget this.

CozBoogie 09-14-2009 01:19 PM

Threads merged.

late,
Coz

psycho_maniac 09-14-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1164221)
i really need to learn how to multi-quote

its really nice to the quote button and nice to use ;) i actually use it more than the quote button haha. even if i only quote one person. i might quote more than one eventually so i just click it for just in case.

jbearamus 09-14-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1164537)
its really nice to the quote button and nice to use ;) i actually use it more than the quote button haha. even if i only quote one person. i might quote more than one eventually so i just click it for just in case.

duh, how did i miss that? oh well, the simple things right

railslave 09-15-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by psycho_maniac (Post 1164077)

verizon bought out alltel

railslave 09-15-2009 02:01 AM

Don't worry; this "report" comes from the Telegraph. It's as reputable as a blog.

If you actually read to article, you will see words like:
"T-Mobile and Orange are expected to..."
"DT will probably..."
"It is understood that DT has been..."
"It is thought DT will also..."
"DT, Sprint and Deutsche Bank all refused to comment."

These are just rumors and speculation. There is no news here.

jbearamus 09-15-2009 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by railslave (Post 1166458)
verizon bought out alltel

right but we were talking about the spectrum swap and market divestiture between verizon and att as required by the DOJ and FCC to approve the alltel buyout

dfitzpatrick 09-15-2009 01:59 PM

T-Mobile Eyeing Sprint...

http://mobilitytoday.com/news/009641...e_Giant_Market

is it the next cool thing to want to buy Sprint these days?

drewcam888 09-15-2009 04:15 PM

Re: T-Mobile Eyeing Sprint...

This is posted already

gprimr1 09-15-2009 05:12 PM

This is bad for Sprint.

SporkLover 09-16-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruceBanner (Post 1164176)

GSM and CDMA is not going to be an issue for long. 4G technologies are being rolled out. Sprint and Nextel are pretty much the only ones supporting WIMAX, with pretty much every other major carrier in the world going to LTE, including Verizon.

In the next few years, as the world rolls out LTE, Verizon phones will be able to roam on Europe / Asia networks without the need for two types of cellular radios.

Right now would be a PRIME time to buy a CDMA carrier. As networks are rolled over to 4G standards... why wouldn't now be a better time to halt Wimax and wait for the roll over to LTE ? Something would have to happen soon as Sprint is in the middle of Wimax roll out.

jbearamus 09-16-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1169522)
GSM and CDMA is not going to be an issue for long. 4G technologies are being rolled out. Sprint and Nextel are pretty much the only ones supporting WIMAX, with pretty much every other major carrier in the world going to LTE, including Verizon.

In the next few years, as the world rolls out LTE, Verizon phones will be able to roam on Europe / Asia networks without the need for two types of cellular radios.

Right now would be a PRIME time to buy a CDMA carrier. As networks are rolled over to 4G standards... why wouldn't now be a better time to halt Wimax and wait for the roll over to LTE ? Something would have to happen soon as Sprint is in the middle of Wimax roll out.

good way to stop competition, but a very expensive way

SporkLover 09-16-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1170329)
good way to stop competition, but a very expensive way

Sunk costs already... well if DT were to buy Sprint, that's the only way they could treat it. LTE rollout schedule is about a year or more behind WiMax. They could just stop investing in WiMax rollout, and start the switch over to LTE as soon as it is ready for prime time.

Here is my worry. Right now Sprint allows roaming on other CDMA carrier networks. If Verizon (Largest network in the US) isn't around for roaming... what will that mean for future service levels.

jbearamus 09-16-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1170428)
Sunk costs already... well if DT were to buy Sprint, that's the only way they could treat it. LTE rollout schedule is about a year or more behind WiMax. They could just stop investing in WiMax rollout, and start the switch over to LTE as soon as it is ready for prime time.

Here is my worry. Right now Sprint allows roaming on other CDMA carrier networks. If Verizon (Largest network in the US) isn't around for roaming... what will that mean for future service levels.

Sprint's roaming dies and overall coverage is cut in halfish, or they'd have to cut a deal to roam with ATT which is better than nothing but ATT's coverage isn't as complete as verizon's.
also interesting:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/0...uld-be-easy-t/
turns out clearwire, who is handling the actual deployment and maintenance of the wimax network says they're ready to jump to LTE if they need to

SporkLover 09-16-2009 10:02 PM

Not sure how a Wimax phone would roam on a LTE network. They are like CDMA and GSM.

I think the world would be done justice if everyone adopted one standard. Makes it cheaper for Motorola to produce the infrastructure, and makes it cheaper for handset designers, and the consumers win in the end with the possibility of world wide roaming (without having to cellular radios).

jbearamus 09-16-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SporkLover (Post 1171782)
Not sure how a Wimax phone would roam on a LTE network. They are like CDMA and GSM.

I think the world would be done justice if everyone adopted one standard. Makes it cheaper for Motorola to produce the infrastructure, and makes it cheaper for handset designers, and the consumers win in the end with the possibility of world wide roaming (without having to cellular radios).

oh i thought we were talking voice roaming with gsm and cdma. if the buyout happens if all customers go to sprint then roam on verizon, if all sprint are ported to tmobile, roaming happens with att
as for wimax and lte roaming, it wouldn't happen, different techs different frequencies; just like you said

Genjinaro 09-17-2009 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbearamus (Post 1172061)
oh i thought we were talking voice roaming with gsm and cdma. if the buyout happens if all customers go to sprint then roam on verizon, if all sprint are ported to tmobile, roaming happens with att
as for wimax and lte roaming, it wouldn't happen, different techs different frequencies; just like you said

Clearwire sounded confident it'd be an easy change-over so there must be something about the technology we don't know about or Clearwire is BS-ing everyone which I suspect but since LTE is up off the ground or proven its a ways away till we worry, by then WiMax should have a greater span anyway.

ksg 09-17-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggzz (Post 1162669)
Better lock your plans in right before they take over!

Doesn't really matter if it is anything like the Alltel/Verizon merger. They'll grandfather your current plan as long as you don't change your phone (i.e.: ESN/MEID swap) or make any changes to your account (i.e.: add/remove options).

The minute you want to upgrade your phone (and/or you lose your phone and have to get a replacement through insurance)... you're done. That counts as an ESN/MEID swap and they force you into one of their plans. :disgust:

This has been my experience anyway....

tokuzumi 09-17-2009 11:17 AM

I just don't see this happening. Sprint is currently maintaining the iDEN network, as well as their CDMA network. IF T-Mo took over, they would need to maintain both Sprint networks, as well as the GSM for quite some time. Eventually, if T-Mo/Sprint stopped releasing CDMA phones, they would no longer need to maintain the CDMA towers, and could shut them down, or convert them to GSM only. Plus, T-Mo plans are a rip-off, once you add data and text messaging. The only good thing about T-Mo right now is their phones accept SIM cards.

ebmorgan 09-17-2009 03:49 PM

Let's also not forget why a buyout of Sprint wouldn't happen. Sprint just paid Ericsson $5 billion to handle all sales and customer service so Sprint can completely focus on R&D. That's a MONSTER arrangement that would be incredibly messy in a buyout attempt.

Magoo_215 09-17-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebmorgan (Post 1173863)
Let's also not forget why a buyout of Sprint wouldn't happen. Sprint just paid Ericsson $5 billion to handle all sales and customer service so Sprint can completely focus on R&D. That's a MONSTER arrangement that would be incredibly messy in a buyout attempt.

Hope you right cu the only thing I would want outta Tmo is sim cars cuz we already got Android...