PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07
CDMA to LTE Data Handover Completed..

While this may not be the biggest news for most of the community, the first live and active passover of a data connection between a CDMA and LTE (Long Term Evolution) device has been completed. This means that a device that has both a CDMA and LTE chipset, respectively, handled a data connection and switched over from one technology to another without a loss of the data connection.

This is significant for a few reasons. First off, this showcases future technology that Verizon Wireless may use when they start their own roll out of LTE. Also, having a device like this would allow for users to use LTE in Europe/Asia and a CDMA network in the US. A ROM could be built that allows a user to access Sprint's CDMA network while also browsing Verizon's LTE network for instance. Also, it puts pressure on Sprint/Clearwire to increase the speed of the roll out of their own 4G (Wi-Max) network. For more information on LTE, please go here.

Source: Cellular-News

Last edited by BigDiesel07; 08-26-2009 at 06:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman
Re: CDMA to LTE Data Handover Completed..

lol LTE wont touch the speeds Sprint 4G ill bring...
Old 08-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
lol LTE wont touch the speeds Sprint 4G ill bring...
correct me if im wrong, but LTE is faster than 4g? I read somewhere that verizon will be getting ~10-14 mb/s
Old 08-27-2009, 12:59 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeandestroyx View Post
correct me if im wrong, but LTE is faster than 4g? I read somewhere that verizon will be getting ~10-14 mb/s
thats insane, but from all i have read, Sprint still holds the record for faster data connection for a mobile device...

But Verizon is going down the drain anyways, over priced and will be sued soon by FCC
Old 08-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
thats insane, but from all i have read, Sprint still holds the record for faster data connection for a mobile device...

But Verizon is going down the drain anyways, over priced and will be sued soon by FCC
well thats with their 3g technology, LTE is more advanced than 4g from what i understand.
Yeah true but i dont really have a choice, im on my dads plan and since im under 18 i cannot get my own
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6850 Windows Mobile 6.5 Energy Rom
Carrier: Verizon

phillip587 is a n00b

Quote:
you are correct, 5-12 mbps down and 2-5 up

Palm treo 700wx 10/2007-12/2007

Brand New XV6800 12/2007-March 2008

Sprint Htc Touch Pro on Verizon Wireless 05/2009-Present
Old 08-27-2009, 09:33 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff

Quote:

Source?
Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
well thats with their 3g technology, LTE is more advanced than 4g from what i understand.
Technically speaking, LTE and WiMax are not 4g as "4g" has yet to be approved by any of the work groups involved. Most consider both technologies to be 3.5g because of this, though for marketing companies are throwing around 4g (sort of like the Wifi N debacle).

LTE Advanced has been put forth as a 4g candidate.

Either way, we won't see any of this tech in a "phone" proper for probably 2 years. This announcement is more relevant for data cards/dongles/date devices than phones.

The reason for that is LTE has no agreed upon method for handling voice calls, so it has to fall back onto 1x--but that method has not been agreed upon yet either. Building a ROM, assuming that was even possible, would only get to "roam" on Verizon''s old EvDO network for data (something we can rarely do now as Sprint doesn't have a 3g data roam agreement with them), but do nothing for voice, which last I checked is the main function of a phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip587 View Post
you are correct, 5-12 mbps down and 2-5 up
But you can do that in Baltimore today with Sprint and WiMax. The "real world" speeds and reliability between the two technologies still need to be tested. Too early to call without mentioning their "theoretical potentials".

Last edited by Malatesta; 08-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6900
Carrier: Verizon

cbaty08 is just getting started

I don't mean to be noob but..............

The wiki on LTE is talking about speeds of 100Mbps down and 50 up...................?
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaty08 View Post
I don't mean to be noob but..............

The wiki on LTE is talking about speeds of 100Mbps down and 50 up...................?
Yeah, they're usually talking about theoretical speeds, ideal situations, no traffic, switching and the range of the stations is low.

In reality LTE will be 7-12Mbps down and 3-5Mbps, which is similar to WiMax speeds. Those speeds are important for netbooks, MIDs, etc. Current smartphones would choke on those speeds and most people just don't pull that much data when checking email, surfing the web on their phones.

But lets be clear: the real winners of "4g" here will be who can launch the first with the most coverage/availability, not isolated speed tests. Both services will perform similarly in the field.

Last edited by Malatesta; 08-27-2009 at 03:17 PM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives