PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Carrier: Sprint

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain
Is my hotmail going to stop working on my phone?

(mods... if this isnt the correct forum please accept my apologies in advance and feel free to move it. Thanks!)

I got the following e-mail from Microsoft Hotmail... my question is does this mean when i buy the touch pro in september I wont be able to get my hotmail on it?

Dear Windows Live Hotmail Customer,

You are receiving this note because you have used Microsoft Office Outlook, Outlook Express, or Entourage to view your Windows Live HotmailĀ®. Microsoft is changing the way these programs access Hotmail e-mail which will require you to take action.

To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions.

If you use Microsoft Office Outlook to view Hotmail, you can download free Office Outlook Connector to continue accessing your Windows Live Hotmail within Outlook 2003 or 2007. If you're using Outlook 2002, you will need to change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail. Click here to learn more.

If you use Outlook Express to view Hotmail, you can choose to download free Windows Live Mail (recommended) or change the settings on your program to access your Hotmail within Outlook Express. Click here to learn more about your options.

If you use Entourage to view Hotmail, you can change the settings in your program to view your e-mail. Click here to learn more.

Don't know what you're using to view Hotmail? Have more questions? View the FAQ page or visit the Community Forum.

Why is this happening? Outlook, Outlook Express, and Entourage use a legacy communications method (known as the DAV protocol) to access Hotmail. Because the DAV protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such as Hotmail which now provides users ever-growing storage*, new alternatives have been built. Last year, customers asked us to postpone plans to retire the DAV protocol until more options were available. Now that these options (including the POP3 protocol) are available, we are ready to retire the DAV protocol.

Thank you for using Windows Live Hotmail.

Sincerely,

Your Windows Live Hotmail Team

*Assumes a reasonable growth rate.
Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.
Microsoft Corporation
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052
Old 08-24-2009, 12:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Is my hotmail going to stop working on my phone?

How are you getting your email now?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor

I think you can still get it you will just have to set it up properly.
Don't know if I or anybody can help you now though.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
Threadstarter

jimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjimmiekain is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to jimmiekain Send a message via MSN to jimmiekain Send a message via Yahoo to jimmiekain

well at home i use outlook express on my computer (microsoft office 2007 enterprise edition) but on the go, i get it on my htc vogue (you know the htc touch) well the e-mail says sept. 1... im worried that i wont be able to get my hotmail on my mobile device starting sept. 1.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiekain View Post
well at home i use outlook express on my computer (microsoft office 2007 enterprise edition) but on the go, i get it on my htc vogue (you know the htc touch) well the e-mail says sept. 1... im worried that i wont be able to get my hotmail on my mobile device starting sept. 1.
I just opened a Hotmail account. But now it is called a "live.com" account.
Microsoft purchased Hotmail awhile ago or something to that effect.
I am pretty sure that if you just download Windows Live, you will not have any problems.
I get my live.com emails pushed right to my Diamond.
The set up is really nice. You can set it up to push emails thru, pull them at different intervals that you set or manually get your emails.
You can set up your sync intervals as well.
This is what I did:
1) I set up my live.com account on my pc. (you already have your hotmail.com account set up.
2) I went to TouchFlo on my Diamond and pressed the Email icon.
I then pressed Menu/Accounts/New Account and set up my live.com email account.
In your case, you would set up your hotmail.com email account.
In fact, after I set up my account, when I go thru the list of email accounts I want to enter, my live.com account is listed under the "Hotmail" heading on my Diamond.

Just go to Windows Live and enter your email address and password, whether it is a hotmail.com or live.com account to see more info.
Let me know how it goes.
And a few registry tweaks
HTC DIAMOND DISASSEMBLY/ASSEMBLY/PARTS/REPAIR HELP HERE >

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
-Ben Franklin

Last edited by Biker1; 08-24-2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: ppc6900
Carrier: Alltel

Lost My Mind is just getting started

Well, Microsoft has ALWAYS owned hotmail. Even back in 1998 it was part of msn.com. As far as your e-mail about september 1st goes, I may be wrong, but I doubt its legitimate. I've had hotmail since 1998 and I never got that notice. Unless its just something for newer accounts maybe?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Any new Hotmail accounts are being opened as live.com accounts.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro2/Touch Pro/Diamond

Atomic2Mod is keeping up the good workAtomic2Mod is keeping up the good work

they started changing a few things a little while ago - I've had to have MS Outlook Office Connector installed and running to get hotmail to my Outlook on the pc.

So it sound legit to me.

However - I don't think you have to worry about getting mail to your phone in the least. I think it all pertains to how you get mail on the pc.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:39 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Your hotmail account is safe. All this is saying is if you use one of the email clients mentioned(Outlook, Outlook Express, Entrourage) you will need to download Office Outlook Connector in order for you to continue to receive email this way. This has been in the works for some time now. This does not pertain to mobile devices.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4G/U301 USB Card

gprimr1 is becoming a great contributor

Actually Hotmail on the Windows Mobile device support is on par with Active sync in terms of high quality support.

Windows Live for Windows Mobile supports 2 way sync of emails, and you can also sync your contacts 2 ways. I suspect calendar sync is in the works.

You have nothing to worry about.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Tags
email, hotmail, windows