PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Mobile 7 delayed AGAIN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post
Why is it that people feel business users need multiple different handsets to "serve different needs".

The only thing I think Apple did right with the iphone WAS make one handset, juts like RIM doesn't make dozens of different handsets a year, they have their flagship ones and that's it. The problem with microsoft is that they can only do the business aspect of their phones decently, and the issue with Apple/ Palm is that they are focused on the consumer aspect being perfect.

Can it really be that hard for them to make an OS that does BOTH. I've always laughed at how XP pro, Vista Pro, Win 7 ultimate, etc are all supposed to be more expensive, but in reality they could have just made ONE OS that way that would sell better. It's ****ing stupid. They need to make ONE windows mobile platform, get the consumer functions (easy to type, easy UI, solid build, good battery life, good multimedia capability) and the business functions (exchange, word, excel, etc) and just combine them. Why is that so difficult? The only two handsets there should be are Win Mo phones with a keyboard and without it. Besides that get HTC to design a solid touch screen only phone and a physical keyboard phone for users who are consistently writing emails/texts. that's it. This is the reason the iphone, the palm pre, and even blackberry appeals to so many consumers and many more business as they continue to get business support, the very opposite reason people keep contending that microsoft has an advantage which is their uniform models. It's far easier to manage one or two different types of handsets then worry if one person's phone is compatible with X and the other phone has Y specs, etc.

Choices in handsets to me aren't really a good thing to me, it means that there is obviously not a system that is uniformly well designed, built, portable, long lasting and efficient and therefore the consumer must make sacrifices. I already knew WM 7 wasn't coming for a while, but I'm pretty sure I'll be on Android OS (hopefully on my computer too). I trust google to do things right because they always have, one platform, strong support for it, limited amount of handsets to ensure compatibility; what more could you want?
What i think you fail to realize is that not everyone wants "everything" on there phone. To some of us that would be great because we have no problem spending $500 + on a phone. But to other people they would never use half of those features. So to them $500 is out of the question. For this reason alone is why microsoft is going the route it's going. Why cut off some consumers when you can have both high end and low end devices. And also microsoft is all about software. If a hardware manufacturer whats to run your software on there phone it would be bad business to turn them down. This is why you have so many windows mobile phones. Manufacturers build a phone to run a certain OS unless they have there own. And alot of manufacturers choose windows mobile. The problem is that some of these manufacturers don't put the required specs in there phones to run the OS properly. Which is why some of these windows mobile phones get such a bad rep. Microsoft is changing this by having certain requirements with 6.5 and 7. This will all be a very good thing when it's all said and done.
Minnesota Militia/Touch Pro Division
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

hyakku is keeping up the good workhyakku is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_breedent View Post
What i think you fail to realize is that not everyone wants "everything" on there phone. To some of us that would be great because we have no problem spending $500 + on a phone. But to other people they would never use half of those features. So to them $500 is out of the question. For this reason alone is why microsoft is going the route it's going. Why cut off some consumers when you can have both high end and low end devices. And also microsoft is all about software. If a hardware manufacturer whats to run your software on there phone it would be bad business to turn them down. This is why you have so many windows mobile phones. Manufacturers build a phone to run a certain OS unless they have there own. And alot of manufacturers choose windows mobile. The problem is that some of these manufacturers don't put the required specs in there phones to run the OS properly. Which is why some of these windows mobile phones get such a bad rep. Microsoft is changing this by having certain requirements with 6.5 and 7. This will all be a very good thing when it's all said and done.
That's not going to help the consumer. If anything, it will only consume or infuriate them to find that they thought they were getting the latest technology only to have a crippled version. In addiition, no one wants to be using old technology. there are a plethora of phones that would run better with WM 5 still up there, but they have 6.1 installed. You assume that customers will be well informed about their choices, but people want what's going to look nice and work well.

As for the pricing issue, unless you are buying your phone unlocked you won't be paying that much, and consumers are obviously willing to spend $150-$300 on a phone (see the G1, Iphone, Pre) that inherently works and comes with a ton of bells and whistles.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Young-E
Pocket PC: TP2

Young_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIPYoung_breedent is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyakku View Post
That's not going to help the consumer. If anything, it will only consume or infuriate them to find that they thought they were getting the latest technology only to have a crippled version. In addiition, no one wants to be using old technology. there are a plethora of phones that would run better with WM 5 still up there, but they have 6.1 installed. You assume that customers will be well informed about their choices, but people want what's going to look nice and work well.

As for the pricing issue, unless you are buying your phone unlocked you won't be paying that much, and consumers are obviously willing to spend $150-$300 on a phone (see the G1, Iphone, Pre) that inherently works and comes with a ton of bells and whistles.
Most consumers aren't actually that informed sorry. We are a slim few. They just want something that looks cool. And windows 6.5 hasn't even been officially released yet. So explain how you can call it crippled??? Right now windows has two different versions of windows mobile and people aren't complaining they get what works for them and they can afford. They have windows mobile standard for smartphones without a touch screen and then they have windows mobile professional for touch screens. This is the same concept except your actually getting more with 6.5 than you did with the non-touch screen version of windows out now. And windows mobile professional phone are never $150 when they are released. I was saying $500 for buying it without an upgrade which would be close to if not more then the price it would be. Even with an upgrade the phone is $249. So having a cheaper version, people who would prefer that $99 iphone might pick up that $129 windows 6.5 device instead. Who knows what the price will be for a windows mobile 7 device. It makes perfect sense seriously. Companies are all about making money and i think people forget that. They want to get as much market share as possible. By doing this they definitely will be headed in the right direction.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S Captivate, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Carrier: Rogers

wraith79 is keeping up the good workwraith79 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
already been posted
we know it won't be released til Q4 of 2010...and we all cried =_=
but the strategy is actually pretty smart
being blunt NOT many handsets can even support windows mobile 7. I think microsoft wants the hardware to catch up and it makes a lot of sense all things considered
I agree with this! For example, when microsoft released the Xbox, they did it so they could get on the market faster than Sony, but, at what cost? Hundreds of thousands of units returned do to hardware, software and firmware issues! For lack of a better term, "They jumped the gun!" With regards to Winmo7 they don't want to make the same mistake as the Xbox and all they are doing is perfecting it before its release. Consider this, Windows XP was a great OS for PC's, but lacked a little luster, their answer, Windows Vista. But, with Vista came a lot of issues, lag time, just an overall mistake! The answer to both of the OS's was Windows 7, the speed and functionallity of XP and the mesmerizing look of Vista. It did take them a while to release W7, but, when they did, microsoft reaped the benefits. So, for microsoft to delay the release of Winmo7, consider this a good thing, they will have an almost perfect mobile OS to compliment the release of all the new Winmo capable devices in the future!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff

Losing faith in the WM ship. Microsoft needs to cull more WM handset makers. Start developing for a narrower standard of hardware, and ramp up the third party app development and distribution.

A huge push in that direction would help out greatly in their other endeavors (Zune HD)
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkLover View Post
Losing faith in the WM ship. Microsoft needs to cull more WM handset makers. Start developing for a narrower standard of hardware, and ramp up the third party app development and distribution.

A huge push in that direction would help out greatly in their other endeavors (Zune HD)
+1. The bottom line is that MS is doomed in the handset business unless WM7 can compete with the iPhone, Android, the Pre, and BB. WM7 is their only chance to right that ship and get on the right track. They need a proper App store with a large developer base to compete. However I think by the time that happens (gonna be after WM7 ships), it will be too late.

Just my opinion.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
+1. The bottom line is that MS is doomed in the handset business unless WM7 can compete with the iPhone, Android, the Pre, and BB. WM7 is their only chance to right that ship and get on the right track. They need a proper App store with a large developer base to compete. However I think by the time that happens (gonna be after WM7 ships), it will be too late.

Just my opinion.

No really I agree, the timing on this is just awful I think after reviewing the competition, there should have been better preperation.

I can't see how Windows Mobile 7 is going to make any strides by the time its RTM. Februray 2010 was a good date & it would've planted Microsoft's feet in the ground competitively, esp if the SDK is released in a timely fashion & at a competitive cost. A few months after, Snapdragon devices should slowly start creeping up (priced at premiums) & by fall 2010 it should be gaining ground on more handsets & slightly cheaper.

Microsoft needs to devote more employees into their Mobile platform's growth.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genjinaro View Post
No really I agree, the timing on this is just awful I think after reviewing the competition, there should have been better preperation.

I can't see how Windows Mobile 7 is going to make any strides by the time its RTM. Februray 2010 was a good date & it would've planted Microsoft's feet in the ground competitively, esp if the SDK is released in a timely fashion & at a competitive cost. A few months after, Snapdragon devices should slowly start creeping up (priced at premiums) & by fall 2010 it should be gaining ground on more handsets & slightly cheaper.

Microsoft needs to devote more employees into their Mobile platform's growth.
february was a good date but it wasn't feasible if handset technology hasn't caught up to microsoft's aims
from what we saw in 07, we can definitely assume their presentation is the future and if it took 2 and a half years at least to get maybe 2 handsets (one not even released) to catch up to wm 7, that is insane...
microsoft I will say again did a good thing waiting IMHO and releasing windows mobile 6.5. For everything they wanted, technology wouldn't have caught up so fast
Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemoid is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
february was a good date but it wasn't feasible if handset technology hasn't caught up to microsoft's aims
from what we saw in 07, we can definitely assume their presentation is the future and if it took 2 and a half years at least to get maybe 2 handsets (one not even released) to catch up to wm 7, that is insane...
microsoft I will say again did a good thing waiting IMHO and releasing windows mobile 6.5. For everything they wanted, technology wouldn't have caught up so fast
Handset technology can't catch up to a non-existent OS. WM6.5 nor 6.5.1 will save them from their fate if WM7 fails. They're band-aids on a gunshot wound.

Microsoft is way too late to the game of competing with the iPhone. They shouldn't have wasted time, money, and resources on 6.5. They should have just focused on 7.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG V10, iPhone 6 and Nokia ICON
Carrier: Verizon

DavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIPDavidinCT is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to DavidinCT Send a message via MSN to DavidinCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
Handset technology can't catch up to a non-existent OS. WM6.5 nor 6.5.1 will save them from their fate if WM7 fails. They're band-aids on a gunshot wound.

Microsoft is way too late to the game of competing with the iPhone. They shouldn't have wasted time, money, and resources on 6.5. They should have just focused on 7.
Yea, I agree, should of gone right for 7. 6.5 is nice but, after playing with an iphone for a day or 2, it's getting there but, not there yet. I'm a pocketPC user from 1.0 (remember those ?), and it's sad where we are at with the thousands of dollars I have spent over the years on these devices.

I saw the ZuneHD interface, impressive, that should be WM 6.5 now....

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives