PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 PM
VsB
Lurker
Pocket PC: Pro
Carrier: Sprint

VsB is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Touch Pro 2 Specs released

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro_static View Post
I think U have it twisted. CDMA phones will not work on GSM network and vice versa. Bcoz they have different radio frequency. Once U have unlock the GSM side of the CDMA/GSM aka world phone, U can only put a sim in there and use it for a GSM carrier like T-mo and ATT. The reason TP2 have 2 radios(CDMA/GSM) is for business people that travels a lot outside the country. This is how it's done. They can ask Spint for an International SIM card. If they use that Sim card outside the country. It will use a GSM network on that country. Then that GSM company will charge Sprint for the usage. Then sprint will charge U for it. It will be useless to do that inside the US coz U have the CDMA radio. Other Countries don't.
For the sake of clarity it has been Sprints policy not to lock the GSM side of its worldphones. For example I have used a Sprint 8830 which is CDMA/GSM and it is unlocked for GSM. The same 8830 handset on Verizon is locked for GSM.

This means that if you have a Sprint 8830, while traveling outside of the US you can place any overseas carrier sim card in the 8830. You cannot with the verizon version.

So while busienss user with Sprint world phones do not ask Sprint for an international sim, or use any $20 sim purchased in their destination country. You can do the latter in most airports and have your phone workign in 20 minutes or so. The advantage of the sprint sim is that calls to your US number are routed, the disadvantage is that it costs about 10x as much per minute for outgoing calls and infinitely more for incoming which are free with almost all sims outside of the US.

If the smartphone has wifi, which the 8830 does not, but which the Touch Pro 2 has, you get the added benefit of not being raped on data charges.

The touch pro 2 is finally the first reasonable usage cost smartphone for sprint customers. If verizon locks the sim and sprint does not it will truly show how far verizon will go to cripple handsets for its customers.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:35 AM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

R u tryin to say that when touch pro 2 from sprint comes out, U just need to put in Tmo or ATT's sim and it will work? And ur 8830 does the same thing?

Edit: Yeah, When I looked at the topic again, It is not imposible to run any GSM carrier on a world phone as long as it's unlocked. No arguement on that as what I mentioned here:

*Once U have unlock the GSM side of the CDMA/GSM aka world phone, U can only put a sim in there and use it for a GSM carrier like T-mo and ATT* So if ur saying that it will be released unlocked, He don't need to unlock it himself.

But the point of the dude is to buy a GSM TP2 and run it on Sprint. That's the point of my post stating that he got it twisted. Even if he ask Sprint for a SIM card, It will not run on Sprint directly. That SIM will use a GSM tower. That GSM tower will then charge Sprint for the service used, which will cost him more money than just subscribing to a GSM carrier.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835

Last edited by jethro_static; 08-25-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02 AM
VsB
Lurker
Pocket PC: Pro

VsB is a n00b

Quote:
R u tryin to say that when touch pro 2 from sprint comes out, U just need to put in Tmo or ATT's sim and it will work? And ur 8830 does the same thing?

Edit: Yeah, When I looked at the topic again, It is not imposible to run any GSM carrier on a world phone as long as it's unlocked. No arguement on that as what I mentioned here:

*Once U have unlock the GSM side of the CDMA/GSM aka world phone, U can only put a sim in there and use it for a GSM carrier like T-mo and ATT* So if ur saying that it will be released unlocked, He don't need to unlock it himself.

But the point of the dude is to buy a GSM TP2 and run it on Sprint. That's the point of my post stating that he got it twisted. Even if he ask Sprint for a SIM card, It will not run on Sprint directly. That SIM will use a GSM tower. That GSM tower will then charge Sprint for the service used, which will cost him more money than just subscribing to a GSM carrier.
Not disagreeing with you, just pointing to a finer and important detail on the history of sim lock policy on Sprint vs Verizon CDMA+GSM handsets.

My point was while overseas, you can put any sim in Sprint "Worldphones" but cannot on the same Verizon model.

Otherwise I agree, when it comes to using non Sprint phones n Sprint, first Sprint wont allow CDMA phones not on their ESN list to run on their CDMA system.
Second, running a Sprint GSM sim in the US would be insanely expensive.
Thirdly it is possible/likely that on the US CDMA branded versions GSM 900 and 1800 will be enabled but that GSM 850 and 1900 will be disabled.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:16 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VsB View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just pointing to a finer and important detail on the history of sim lock policy on Sprint vs Verizon CDMA+GSM handsets.

My point was while overseas, you can put any sim in Sprint "Worldphones" but cannot on the same Verizon model.

Otherwise I agree, when it comes to using non Sprint phones n Sprint, first Sprint wont allow CDMA phones not on their ESN list to run on their CDMA system.
Second, running a Sprint GSM sim in the US would be insanely expensive.
Thirdly it is possible/likely that on the US CDMA branded versions GSM 900 and 1800 will be enabled but that GSM 850 and 1900 will be disabled.

So lets say I get the TP2, then for whatever reason, I want to switch to tmobile. All I need to do then is to have tmobile send me a sim card?

Or better yet, what if I want to keep my sprint account, but for some reason want to also pay for a tmobile account. Would popping in that sim card automatically switch me over?

Finally, are there any wireless companies that have pay as you go plans combined with these sim cards?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Quote:
There will not be ff camera at this point. Due to data and voice cannot run at the same time. It only work in europe and Asia. Carrier won't put it there so U can use skype instead of their minutes. So stop dreaming OK.
has anyone ever gone routing through their tp to see if it's there, just hidden under the plastic?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:39 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
So lets say I get the TP2, then for whatever reason, I want to switch to tmobile. All I need to do then is to have tmobile send me a sim card?

Or better yet, what if I want to keep my sprint account, but for some reason want to also pay for a tmobile account. Would popping in that sim card automatically switch me over?

Finally, are there any wireless companies that have pay as you go plans combined with these sim cards?
"Pay as you go" aka prepaid GSM phones have SIM card. All U do it activate it. Tmo can even hook you up with just data on a SIM (no voice) for 20 bucks a month.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (stock)
Carrier: Sprint 0

platin465 is keeping up the good workplatin465 is keeping up the good workplatin465 is keeping up the good work

Nobody's mentioned that it's confirmed?
September 8th!

woohoo!

Although I'll have to wait for my upgrade elegibility...
Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 PM
War is the answer!
Pocket PC: Samsung Note III, GS4 & Asus Transformer
Carrier: Sprint since 1995

WarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the communityWarChild is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platin465 View Post
Nobody's mentioned that it's confirmed?
September 8th!

woohoo!

Although I'll have to wait for my upgrade elegibility...
I didn't think anybody needed to mention it since it was on the main page of ppcgeeks like 2 seconds after sprint made the news release. But it is good info, thanks for making sure everybody got it.

FORUM FAQ | FORUM RULES | NEW USER GUIDE |TIPS FOR SEARCHING | RULES FOR SALES ON SITE

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

macsucks is a n00b

ha ha I gotten the new sprint touch pro 2 and love it.

Check out my sprint touch pro 2 in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUFUYvOWApM

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives