PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop
VZW SMTP Server Shut Down

Looks like those of us that use VZW's SMTP server for outbound email will be out of luck come August 29. Just received a letter from VZW today indicating that as of this date, this server will be taken out of service. If your email provider is someone like RoadRunner, who will not let you use their SMTP server, now is a good time to start looking for alternatives. I'm thinking Wireless Sync or Seven.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850

kyppcgeek is keeping up the good workkyppcgeek is keeping up the good work
Re: VZW SMTP Server Shut Down

Wonder if this will truly take place for our phones and if it will effect Yahoo and Gmail.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Threadstarter

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Should not affect Yahoo or Gmail, but rather those ISP's who will not allow their SMTP servers to be accessed by a remote device (i.e. PPC's). An example is RoadRunner (TimeWarner). I use their server (pop-server.socal.rr.com) for inbound mail, but must use VZW's for outbound (smtp.vzwmail.net).
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work

??? how can VZW justify this? It means that no "native" email client will be able to send emails -- only web-based emailing (unless you find a 3rd party SMTP server).
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
??? how can VZW justify this? It means that no "native" email client will be able to send emails -- only web-based emailing (unless you find a 3rd party SMTP server).
Maybe their smtp server is being used for spam? oreo
________
Body science

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Probably the ends don't balance the means. They need to be finding it used enough that it is worth the money to invest. These days, with just Gmail, and my own Verizon FiOS service, I dont need their wireless edition of the service.

To add, they may be converting it for FiOS usage as well.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by laos101 View Post
These days, with just Gmail, and my own Verizon FiOS service, I dont need their wireless edition of the service.
How does your FiOS service replace an SMTP server for your wireless device?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6850

kyppcgeek is keeping up the good workkyppcgeek is keeping up the good work

I agree with gTen.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible ,HTC Imagio

jbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regularjbh00jh is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I live in S.C. and never could get the sc.rr.com SMTP server to work half the time, so just started using Hotmail on my Diamond. No problems with email since I switched. I could always get my roadrunner email , just couldn't send email on rr half the time.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh00jh View Post
I live in S.C. and never could get the sc.rr.com SMTP server to work half the time, so just started using Hotmail on my Diamond. No problems with email since I switched. I could always get my roadrunner email , just couldn't send email on rr half the time.
??? Do you mean send email from your Diamond via the sc.rr.com SMTP server? Of course that isn't going to work, not unless you and RR have a specific SMTP authentication protocol in place. If your Diamond is on Sprint, you should be using Sprint's SMTP server to send email (smtp.sprintpcs.com).

wrt to the SPAM argument... ALL SMTP servers require spam controls. Verizon's isn't going to be any different and shutting it down only hurts its customers. Verizon still has to maintain SMTP servers for its DSL and FiOS customers with the same level (if not greater) of spam control. I don't see that shutdown the wireless SMTP servers saves them much of anything.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives