PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02
MicroUSB charging standard for 2010

They just approved a new standard for the EU of using a MicroUSB port as the charging port for cellphones. I can see this being abused by the manufacturers. If the manufacturers dont include a charger and then you charge your phone with a non official charger from that manufacture then that manufacture can say since you used a charge not from us that will void your warranty and if something like your battery explodes while charging, we wont be responsible.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529526,00.html

Last edited by caleb02; 07-01-2009 at 12:09 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Kyocera 7135 < Blackberry 8250 < 6700 < 6800 < 6850
Carrier: Alltel

vestaviajag is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to vestaviajag
Re: MicroUSB charging standard for 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
If the manufacturers dont include a charger and then you charge your phone with a non official charger from that manufacture then that manufacture can say since you used a charge not from us that will void your warranty and if something like your battery explodes while charging, we wont be responsible.

Can they proved that you used an off brand charger? Unless you are dumb enough to tell them you used a Wally World charger, I wouldn't think they could prove it. Of course my question is, since these phones come with mini-USB to USB cords to sync with your computer, wouldn't that qualify it as an "approved" form of charging.

I agree that they could abuse it, in these days people are cutting corners every way the can.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:40 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D
Carrier: Sprint

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

I think they would stop including those cords as well.... like htc has already combined the usb2pc cord and charger into one..

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

yeah thats so annoying as the cord is really short. wow companies gotta save even more money and not even give you a charging cord. i will admit though i have about 10 of them kinda cords laying around. i hate mp3 players that dont have a charger. you just plug it in from the computer. it doesnt seem like its "officially" charing it for me. i like wall outlets
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
I think they would stop including those cords as well.... like htc has already combined the usb2pc cord and charger into one..
Palm did something similar with the Pre. They include one microUSB cable and a power adapter with a USB port. Plus to save money, I guess, if you get the optional Touchstone it comes with no cables at all.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

jason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on repjason25 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

same as the Treo Pro, I thought it was called going "Green"?

Old 07-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
yeah thats so annoying as the cord is really short. wow companies gotta save even more money and not even give you a charging cord. i will admit though i have about 10 of them kinda cords laying around. i hate mp3 players that dont have a charger. you just plug it in from the computer. it doesnt seem like its "officially" charing it for me. i like wall outlets
i would love a 20' usb cord....
Old 07-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Super Senior VIP Member

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

yeah i have one usb extender on my charger. i have bad service at my home so i have to move the phone around sometimes to get it to send a txt

Last edited by psycho_maniac; 07-01-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
They just approved a new standard for the EU of using a MicroUSB port as the charging port for cellphones. I can see this being abused by the manufacturers. If the manufacturers dont include a charger and then you charge your phone with a non official charger from that manufacture then that manufacture can say since you used a charge not from us that will void your warranty and if something like your battery explodes while charging, we wont be responsible.

they already say that now. This MicroUSB thing has been coming around for a while now. Thats why most of Sprints new phones that come out have the MicroUSB charger, wether is LG,Samsung, or Sanyo.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"
Old 07-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Senior VIP Member

the thing i like about the microusb thing is, besides universal, is they all work. all my old motorolas and lgs had problems with there chargers breaking or failing. i never had a microusb charger fail on me.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives