PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 PM
R.I.P. B & Gary. 12/20/11
Pocket PC: JB 32GB iPhone 4 w/ 5.0.1
Carrier: VZW

Batman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Marketplace to ship with 600 Apps!

@cody, yeah bb's app store pretty much sucked(i had a bb pearl). it was so slow. everytime i tried scrollin through it either froze or took forever to load..

@bboyneko, LOL! +1
Old 06-30-2009, 11:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
haha, 600 is alot, and I'm sure it will grow really fast.
From what I've read the pre's appstore had like 10 and blackberry's one appstore sucked. haha.

Also, since microsoft is in on it now,
I'm sure there will be more and more apps that companies make for WM instead of the Iphone.
Just you wait and see, I predict it!
I do not know about instead of but I think it will help with in addition to. the one problem I still see is the lack of uniformity of the platform (ie accelerometer differences between manufacturers) and underpowered processors/missing drivers. I think WM7 will really see the increases when the specs are a bit more constrained by ms and if there is os built in accelerometer drivers and they are part of the wm sdk.

Now I may be off base on some of this but I do not think that I am, and right now developing apps for the various screen sizes and inner parts makes a company (specifically with games) have to make various versions.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Ok 600....that's not alot at all, iPhone has over 50,000....and really why would use even use the marketplace? When there is a site called XDA-Dev that will probably be making the most popular apps for free on there....and guess what they already are lol
Old 07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
Ok 600....that's not alot at all, iPhone has over 50,000....and really why would use even use the marketplace? When there is a site called XDA-Dev that will probably be making the most popular apps for free on there....and guess what they already are lol
It's nice to have things in a centralized location. Plus, there's the potential to have apps that better integrate into the OS. And, let's face it....some apps are just crap, but that can be said about apps across all platforms. Plus, the ability to demo the app for a day is nice, too. Not knocking anyone on xda, as the group over there does some fantastic things...having everything in one place will hopefully mean better standardization and integration, and will be easier for the general user. How many people on this board ask "how do I unlock my phone?", or "how do I install a custom rom?". The app store will take most of the guess work away from those people.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

How many apps did the Apple App store start with? How about the Palm App store? In addition to that while I love XDA and a lot of good stuff comes from the community, most of the work from there is lacking the polish of apps that are released for the iphone. Now, that may be because people are doing it for fun and releasing them for free while a lot of good iphone apps cost money, but the App Store will be great if it brings some of the big software companies (some of which who used to develop for windows mobile) to (or back to) windows mobile as a platform.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
It's nice to have things in a centralized location. Plus, there's the potential to have apps that better integrate into the OS. And, let's face it....some apps are just crap, but that can be said about apps across all platforms. Plus, the ability to demo the app for a day is nice, too. Not knocking anyone on xda, as the group over there does some fantastic things...having everything in one place will hopefully mean better standardization and integration, and will be easier for the general user. How many people on this board ask "how do I unlock my phone?", or "how do I install a custom rom?". The app store will take most of the guess work away from those people.

true but if they sell a simple GPS program or a flashlight program then forget about it, I already spend enough for service, but if they have a lot of free apps then it could be a pretty awesome deal.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Fuze (HTC Touch Pro)
Carrier: ATT

3DPiper is becoming a great contributor

Most people have no idea XDA even exists.. Power users do, and know how to get on there, find a program, and install it successfully.. I like the idea of a MobileMarketplace where you can press one button, browse what is available, and buy/install it on the fly.. I think most average users will, too..

I have a couple of apps I may write and put on MobileMarketplace.. The folks at XDA said don't bother, no one that goes to XDA would 'pay' for an app since everything on XDA is free or donationware.. But I think in the long run MobileMarketplace will reach more people.. It will just be too easy to have access to available apps right on your winmo device.. I hope!

-Matthew
Old 07-08-2009, 07:09 PM
VIP Member

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokuzumi View Post
Demo? You think people will demo software? I mean I hope they do put some Free Apps on there, but I doubt it....it's Microsoft

And on XDA, there is a forum for just Software....in there they don't ask those questions, it's all about software and developing it

And guess what, it all located in 1 location, and these people are the best of the best, better than anyone on the Marketplace....since the marketplace will doubtfully update their apps as often as XDA's will

And I have already given my fair share to Micrsoft, why do we have to keep giving them money for things we get free?
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
Demo? You think people will demo software? I mean I hope they do put some Free Apps on there, but I doubt it....it's Microsoft

And on XDA, there is a forum for just Software....in there they don't ask those questions, it's all about software and developing it

And guess what, it all located in 1 location, and these people are the best of the best, better than anyone on the Marketplace....since the marketplace will doubtfully update their apps as often as XDA's will

And I have already given my fair share to Micrsoft, why do we have to keep giving them money for things we get free?
I see your point, but....

1) Where is the XDA developer software download button on WM 5/6/6.1/6.5? Or app to search the forum for software?
2) Like mentioned above, how many of your average PPC users know about this forum, or the XDA forum? We would be considered power users. Some users keep their rom as it left the factory. They even use.....dare I say it...Internet Explorer as their primary browser. And you have 24 hours to test out the software on the marketplace, and if you don't like it, return it, no question asked.

With XDA, if you don't like an app, you just uninstall the cab, but I think this will provide software that functions a little bit better, as you will have dedicated software teams developing apps, and will have more eye candy, which will make more people want the apps. Again, I'm not insulting anyone over at XDA, or even this forum, as we have tons of cool apps, many of which I use on a daily basis, but overall this is going to be better off for all WM users, and will allow the software to reach a broader audience. Win for customers, and win for developers.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:24 PM
VIP Member

Where on market place is there a WM5, WM6 or WM6.5 download button? There isn't one and never will be one, the apps will be made for 6.5 and 7 only...and thats it

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives