PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Spiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Spiderman313
HTC’s new G-sensor based text entry method

HTC just submitted a patent for a new text entry method using the G-sensor in its device. The idea is fairly simple. Each key has multiple characters, tilt the device when you hit a key will determine what character gets registered.

Abstract

A method for inputting a character adapted for a handheld electronic device is provided. In the present method, a reference plane is determined first. Then, a tilting angle and a tilting direction of the handheld electronic device deviating from the reference plane are detected. Then, the tilting direction is indicated, and an input of a key of the keypad is received. Finally, a character corresponding to the key at the tilting direction is displayed on the handheld electronic device. Therefore, only two actions including tilting the handheld electronic device and pressing the key are required for the users to complete the input of a character. As such, the method is intuitive, convenient, and fast for inputting the character. [Via wmpoweruser]

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: treo 700wx-->HTC TOUCH DIAMOND
Carrier: SPRINT

biggaboo is becoming a great contributor
Re: HTC’s new G-sensor based text entry method

That sounds pretty complicated...might take a while to get used to and not be the fastest way to type...

DIAMOND
Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: xv6900
Carrier: Verizon

1moreforum is just getting started

yeah, might make things difficult but if it works I could see some great benefits.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:06 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: THE BIG RED

skruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on repskruff77 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it dont sound like fun to me
Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II

Magoo_215 is keeping up the good workMagoo_215 is keeping up the good work

I'll stick with my keyboard.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: VZW

Spr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good workSpr0ckEt is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Spr0ckEt Send a message via MSN to Spr0ckEt Send a message via Yahoo to Spr0ckEt

I was thinking all of that but, I'll still try it. Who knows? It may be the next best thing
?
Phone history: Moto V265 (5), Moto V710 (4), Moto E815 (1), Moto Q (4), Treo 700wx (3), and XV6800 (5), Alltel Touch Pro (5), VZW Touch Pro 2 (2), HTC Incredible (3), HTC Thunderbolt (5), HTC Rezound (5), HTC DNA (4), Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (3)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: SGH-T959D leaked 'Official' froyo
Carrier: Telus

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff

Could be pretty sweet, if it works well. I'm sure the 3rd generation of this will probably work quite well (knowing HTC).

ROM: DarkRoot
Old 05-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Android Convert
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep1999TL is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to 1999TL

It would probably get de-activated b/c of the keyboard lag and battery drain. LOL.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

lol, yea, I was thinking, great, one more thing to disable..
Old 05-15-2009, 03:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC RhodiumW - Sprint Branded

volDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regularvolDeus is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to volDeus Send a message via Skype™ to volDeus

That's a terrible idea ... It sounds awkward and slow, and anyone doing it in public might look like they have mental problems ... I imagine the learning curve would be miserable as well, especially considering you would probably have to memorize the button placement well enough that you could press them without looking at the screen (since you are wavin your phone all over the place the whole time you input text) ...

Imagine trying to send a quick text while walking out in the sun and everytime you enter a character the sun reflects off your shiny screen protector and you flash yourself in the eyes!! ... Not to mention all that wrist movement, yipeee!! carpal tunnel without a keyboard! ...

Next best thing ... I think not ...

Last edited by volDeus; 05-15-2009 at 03:48 AM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives