PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Touch Pro 2/ Diamond 2 to get 6.5 for sure

HTC, the leading Windows phone firm announced major extensions to Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 that make it much easier to see who a user has contacted, and when; a way of pre-caching Web pages for extra speed; and two new smartphones that are almost sure to come to U.S. carriers in 2009.
SLIDESHOW (9) Slideshow | All Shots HTC has been tweaking Windows Mobile for two years now; their TouchFLO 3D interface, seen on several of their smartphones, replaces the traditional Windows Mobile 6 home screen with a carousel of large, interactive icons. HTC's new software takes the changes much deeper into Windows Mobile.
A feature called "People-Centric Communication," according to HTC, enhances a phone's address book application so a user can smoothly slide over to see all of the e-mails, text messages, or phone calls you've sent to a particular person without leaving the contact book. You can then jump to a specific message without having to go through Windows Mobile's several levels of menus.
"Today we try to fit our life into silos of applications," said John Wang, HTC's chief marketing officer, in a press conference here. "We have an address book application, a calendar application, a phone application ... since when did our lives become applications?"
Another feature, dubbed "Straight Talk," kicks business calls up a notch. That software lets you call people directly from emails, create conference calls immediately from mass emails, and call into conference bridges very easily from a calendar alert.
"Ten minutes before the conference call, a huge green button just shows up on the screen with the conference bridge number already embedded," Wang explained. "And wouldn't it be great if it has the PIN code and the agenda information embedded? They are!"
HTC's "push Internet" is a way of pre-caching Web pages so you can view them without downloading them on demand. According to Wang, you can tell a new HTC phone to download your favorite Web sites on a set schedule, and then view the pre-cached versions extra quickly. HTC didn't give many details, such as whether you can cache several layers of pages.
Together, these three technologies take HTC's version of Windows Mobile way beyond the standard Windows Mobile experience.
HTC showcased them on two new phones, the Touch Diamond2 and the Touch Pro2, both new versions of popular phones from US carriers.
The Touch Diamond2 is a slab-style, all-touch-screen Windows phone with a 3.2-inch, 800x480 touch screen. It's running a 528 MHz Qualcomm processor, and has 288 Mbytes of RAM and a MicroSD memory card slot supporting up to 16-GB cards. It connects to the Net using Wi-Fi 802/11b/g, Bluetooth or 3G cellular. There's a 5-megapixel camera on the back, a VGA camera on the front and an FM radio. The phone also has 50 percent longer battery life than the existing Touch Diamond, Wang said.
The model that HTC announced today is technically not for the U.S., but considering the success of the Touch Diamond on Sprint, we're pretty sure a version of this will come to the U.S.
The Touch Pro2 is even more sure to come to the US -- AT&T, Sprint and Verizon all have versions of the original Touch Pro. This Windows phone has a 3.6-inch, 800x480 screen that tilts up for better viewing and a large slide-out QWERTY keyboard. Like the Touch Diamond2, it's got 288 MHz of RAM, a memory card slot, an FM radio, a Qualcomm 528 MHz processor, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. The camera here is only 3.2 megapixels, though. When you place the Touch Pro2 face down on a table, it becomes a conference speakerphone with dual speakers and a big mute button on the top.
Annoyingly, neither phone has a standard headphone jack.

The Touch Diamond2 will appear in "early Q2," according to Wang, and the Touch Pro2 will come "in the end of Q2." Both phones will come out with Windows Mobile 6.1, but 6.5 will be a free upgrade for both devices, HTC chief executive Peter Chou said.
Windows Mobile was in fine form at HTC, but Android was nowhere to be seen. Chou said that HTC was still committed to Android and would possibly have more news later in the show.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Google-Search&Rescue Div.
Pocket PC: MoPho CM9/ MotoACTV / GTab 10.1(I/O LE)
Carrier: PPCGeeks/XDA

MoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMoonZ*BabysH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to MoonZ*BabysH Send a message via Skype™ to MoonZ*BabysH
Re: Touch Pro 2/ Diamond 2 to get 6.5 for sure

i dont beleive these possible dates till they actually post a down to the day date.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

I hear ya' there man.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

considering that there has been sighting of unlocked touch pros on ebay it wouldn't surprise me that the devices will be released around then with a Q3 release for CDMA networks
Old 04-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

as long as theyre here by christmas. thatll give me a solid year witht the touch pro, my verizon contract will be up and i can be a free agent!! thanx for the info
Old 04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TynT

gyrl1214 is a n00b

I need a new phone and with all these rumors of new phones I'm totally scared that I'm gonna get something and then the phone of my dreams will be released 2 months later.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

slbailey1 is keeping up the good workslbailey1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrl1214 View Post
I need a new phone and with all these rumors of new phones I'm totally scared that I'm gonna get something and then the phone of my dreams will be released 2 months later.
For that same reason, If Sprint does not release the Diamond2 by Aug, I will wait until WM 7 is released on one of the new processors. The other phones that I think will have WM 7 and one of the new processors are Star and Firestone.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community

Talk about being late to the party...

WM 6.5 Taskbars | GadgetROM for Touch Diamond

Donations are always strictly voluntary and completely appreciated. Thank you!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives