PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung X475>MotoROKR Z6m>Touch Diamond>TouchPRO 2
Carrier: Cingular>Verizon>ATT(current)

xTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Win Mobile 7 release update

Check it out. Not pleasant. Looks like another "Vista" tactic.
http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4038

Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
The Inspector Mod
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

gadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the communitygadgetfreak is a trusted member of the community
Re: Win Mobile 7 release update

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTSFx View Post
Check it out. Not pleasant. Looks like another "Vista" tactic.
http://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=4038
I'm not sure were you are coming from. We've known since we first heard about 6.5 that it was highly unlikely we would see 7 this year...

WM 6.5 Taskbars | GadgetROM for Touch Diamond

Donations are always strictly voluntary and completely appreciated. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung X475>MotoROKR Z6m>Touch Diamond>TouchPRO 2
Carrier: Cingular>Verizon>ATT(current)
Threadstarter

xTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularxTSFx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Well new news to me.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung IP-830 HTC 6800(mogul) HTC 6900 (Vouge) HTC Fuze
Carrier: ALLTEL/Verizon Vogue 6.5 and AT&T EnergyROM 3.0

rdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on rep

winmo cant afford to put out a sub par OS with a upgraded iphone on the way, new palm OS, Google OS...and the list goes on. Not to mention Dell, Acer,Toshiba...ect Getting into the PPC business. They know that anything sub par wont be on any of the new handsets flooding the market.

IF I WAS HELPFUL HIT THE BUTTON!!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell Mobility

r3ferrei is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavidsmith View Post
winmo cant afford to put out a sub par OS with a upgraded iphone on the way, new palm OS, Google OS...and the list goes on. Not to mention Dell, Acer,Toshiba...ect Getting into the PPC business. They know that anything sub par wont be on any of the new handsets flooding the market.
Its not the OS that is the problem with HTC phones. Its the slow processor (or perhaps, the lack of drivers and a hardware accelerated interface), the lack of 3.5mm headphone jack, the poor battery performance, and the awful ROMs that are included with the device by default.

There is no issue with WinMo. I dont get why people think its bad, or that it isnt enough to combat those others. HTC has been able to skin a good deal of WinMo with TF3D, but its performance can often be lacking, probably due to it running on software rather than hardware acceleration.

HTC has even taken TF3D further, to the point where nearly all basic interaction with the phone is skinned with an elegant interface.

The weak hardware that cant even play a game from 3 years ago as fast as an equally old device is just sad.

The fact that you have to carry a dongle with you to listen to audio from your device is just sad. It keeps it from being a media centric device that the others are able to pull off (minus Android).

It all starts with powerful and complete hardware. Software development with much more fluid and eye-candy rich programs follows that. If thats what you want, then your complaints should be forwarded to the device makers who make devices that cant do what the competition can.

Dont blame the OS which puts no such restriction.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung IP-830 HTC 6800(mogul) HTC 6900 (Vouge) HTC Fuze
Carrier: ALLTEL/Verizon Vogue 6.5 and AT&T EnergyROM 3.0

rdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on reprdavidsmith is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Do people actually believe that Microsoft’s mobile OS is that bad in managing memory and running smoothly? I would like to think that it’s not true. However from a consumer stand point they think its crap...everyday I deal with customers who are managing Windows Mobile devices and on a regular basis people ask me how they can force a reboot of the device on a given schedule or bla bla bla. Most people that ask for this are looking to force the reboot in the middle of the night, or some other schedule that they’ve come to believe will magically fix all of their problems.

Could Microsoft have built a better OS that is more finger and user friendly?Better protects the user from poorly written 3rd party applications by isolating each application to its own memory space? Sure, but why? Because most ppl arent us...and they will load any and everything on to their PPC's. Beside a mild warning the is no real safety measure for the stupid. Thus idk i have a hard time only blaming the HTC's, LG's and so on along with 3rd party APPS without giving Microsoft some blame. I could be wrong tho...
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
There is no issue with WinMo.
*cough* 32 process limit *cough*

So, first the problem was "not enough ram" - HTC fixed that by putting more then a quarter GB of ram in a handheld. That's right kids, more then twice the ram needed to run a iPhone or iPod Touch, which is running MacOS X (sure, slimmed down, but you're running a darwin kernel) in 128mb ram....

Now, we have these cool devices with no ram limitations... but wait, it still runs like crap sometimes because in 1994-6 Microsoft designed the memory and process management system for a devices with 2-16mb of ram max, and figured "32 processes - that should be plenty" - so your nice massive ram device starts to freak out when you have 30 processes, since there are only 2 slots left... So you can pretty much run 3-4 apps and TF3d.

Yep, it's an issue free OS - for 1996.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

This is the device your Operating System is designed and optimized for:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/1998/06/23/casio_e_10_review/

4mb ram. 80mhz cpu. 4 bit 320x240 screen.

It rocks that hardware.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
*cough* 32 process limit *cough*

So, first the problem was "not enough ram" - HTC fixed that by putting more then a quarter GB of ram in a handheld. That's right kids, more then twice the ram needed to run a iPhone or iPod Touch, which is running MacOS X (sure, slimmed down, but you're running a darwin kernel) in 128mb ram....

Now, we have these cool devices with no ram limitations... but wait, it still runs like crap sometimes because in 1994-6 Microsoft designed the memory and process management system for a devices with 2-16mb of ram max, and figured "32 processes - that should be plenty" - so your nice massive ram device starts to freak out when you have 30 processes, since there are only 2 slots left... So you can pretty much run 3-4 apps and TF3d.

Yep, it's an issue free OS - for 1996.

http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

This is the device your Operating System is designed and optimized for:

http://the-gadgeteer.com/1998/06/23/casio_e_10_review/

4mb ram. 80mhz cpu. 4 bit 320x240 screen.

It rocks that hardware.
Don't forget, it's running slower with Touchflo 3d activated, turn that off and it runs much faster, as the resources are no longer occupied by tf3d. HTC even had it mentioned on their site that tf3d was utilizing hardware acceleration from a gpu in the TP and Diamond.

It's just unfortunate, that for many of us, tf3d is really the only satisfying interface add-on for wm right now. I've tried Bell and the new pointUI, and sure it runs a lot faster than them, but I really just love tf3d, it may be a resource hog, but you can still be running many apps at once and get good functionality, but we do of course want more.

I've been looking for a way to get tf2d on, but I have still had no success...I hear the of the people who have gotten it on their TP's, theyre screaming fast compared to tf3d.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, Samsung Moment, Evo 4G soon

dabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuffdabackwoodboy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentjonnyb View Post
Don't forget, it's running slower with Touchflo 3d activated, turn that off and it runs much faster, as the resources are no longer occupied by tf3d. HTC even had it mentioned on their site that tf3d was utilizing hardware acceleration from a gpu in the TP and Diamond.

It's just unfortunate, that for many of us, tf3d is really the only satisfying interface add-on for wm right now. I've tried Bell and the new pointUI, and sure it runs a lot faster than them, but I really just love tf3d, it may be a resource hog, but you can still be running many apps at once and get good functionality, but we do of course want more.

I've been looking for a way to get tf2d on, but I have still had no success...I hear the of the people who have gotten it on their TP's, theyre screaming fast compared to tf3d.
here u go this worked fine for me but i ended up going back to tf3d in the long run
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=478900
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabackwoodboy View Post
here u go this worked fine for me but i ended up going back to tf3d in the long run
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=478900
Thanks dude, I'm trying it out now!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives