PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will Windows Marketplace Kill PPCGeeks?

So Microsoft just announced a marketplace for Windows Phones: http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/m...indows-mobile/

Does this spell the beginning of the end of communities like PPCGeeks? Or does it signal a refinement of the people who visit this community?

What about you? Would you still come here if there was a Marketplace app on your phone?

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP
Re: Will Windows Marketplace Kill PPCGeeks?

I don't see how this will affect PPCGeeks at all. This is a community for people to discuss devices, news, problems, and software. Marketplace is an on device storefront service that offers apps available for over the air download. PPCGeeks doesn't offer anything like that so why would Marketplace kill PPCGeeks?
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 6 Plus 128gb
Carrier: AT&T

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
I don't see how this will affect PPCGeeks at all. This is a community for people to discuss devices, news, problems, and software. Marketplace is an on device storefront service that offers apps available for over the air download. PPCGeeks doesn't offer anything like that so why would Marketplace kill PPCGeeks?
+1 I am thinking the same thing... How does that compare to a community like this in any way? How could that have an effect on PPCGEEKS and similar communities? I don't understand the logic behind this...
Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

absolutely not, if anything it'll spark more talk and app development especially if theres money to be made.

if iphone app developers can make $100,000 in a month, i dont see why not an xda or ppcgeeks member can
Old 02-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

So did the iPhone App Store kill the many iPhone news, discussion and hacking sites out there?

I doubt this will hurt PPCGeeks. If anything, there will just be more to talk about.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Threadstarter

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP

The logic is this: Most of our new members come here asking "Where can I find this app?" or "How can I make my phone look like this?"

If there is one central location to find those apps, then there are less people looking for answers on community sites like this.

Once Windows Marketplace opens, do you think developers will continue to only put out their software on xda and ppcgeeks? My guess is that most of them will put their apps on the marketplace to get more exposure.

Again, in the first post I ask if you think this is the end, or a time of refinement. My guess is that we will see less and less "noobs" coming to ppcgeeks when the marketplace launches.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

I have to disagree. The Software forum might slow down but there is a lot more to this site than just people asking for apps. And honestly, the fewer noobs might make less of a headache. Sorry, I'm just saying what everyone else is thinking. No one seems to know what a search is (Thank you to those new users that do search before posting!). A lot of the traffic is about specific devices and what the possibilities are for customizing them.

I haven't seen what the details are for posting apps in Marketplace, whether it will cost them or not, but I think developers will continue to put out beta software on the forums to get feedback and tips.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207

Some developers my decided to offer differnt apps on Microsoft Marketplace but most to the betas will still be places like XDA or PPCGeeks. I think some developers will deceide to sell their ideas on Marketplace. But PPCGeeks and XDA will still have more going on here with discussions and topics.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

theres gotta be a place to discuss the apps and to complain/remind/let everyone know about an app
Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Threadstarter

Great thoughts and discussion, guys!

Good to hear that PPCGeeks will be supported for years to come!

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives