PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   News Archives (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 announced by HTC (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57855)

flyinonice4 02-16-2009 01:24 PM

Re: Diamond2 and Touch Pro2 announced by HTC

If we could get the updated touchflo3d/software features on our current touchpro's, this upgrade would be almost useless. The new conference call feature is what is most appealing to me. I just hope some of you amazing developers can figure out how to transfer those types of things to our touch pros once the new phones are available to mess around with. And as for the screen, itd be ok if it was 3.6 vga, but its wvga. Not impressive. The two mic's and improved speakers look great, but we will have to see how they perform in real life.

EDIT: badboy, you beat me to my first point. But at least we are on the same page. I dont think it is impossible to get that.

MojoRisen 02-16-2009 01:26 PM

Re: HTC Announces Touch Diamond 2 & Touch Pro 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by bit1 (Post 715379)
HTC is a company full of people who don't have to deal with wives.....

:sign5:

faustianoverdrive 02-16-2009 01:28 PM

When I first looked at the two phones- the touch pro vs the diamond, I picked the TP for 2 reasons- Full keyboard, which seemed a must given the smaller screen (and my inexperience with touchscreens), and expansion card slot.

The TP2 trades the flash for a mute button- and seems more geared towards buisness-type-use, with the conference call focus- lose of flash and weaker camera.

On the other hand, the Diamond 2 now has a Micro SD slot. And Now that i've played with HTC's on screen keyboard, I think i might be able to live with it We still seem to lack a flash- but to be honest, It doesn't make much difference when taking pictures, and an LED flashlight is <10 dollars.

Not that I'm going to be upgrading my phone. Wider screen does mean higher battery drain, and they have the same internals- so we're going to have shorter lasting, somewhat slower, TPs with bigger screens. yay? I am not paying for one

Other then bigger, hungry screens, the only difference is an update to TF3D. Given the phones have the same hardware, surely one of those gods-of-code will port those over to us. (oh, and more conference call stuff, of no interest to me)

I wouldn't turn it down if it was free, but I'm not going to waste money on it

I just worry if everyone runs out to buy these, the TP/diamond might end up being a bit neglected in future developments- Might have to learn how to change everything to function on a lower resolution myself.

Hopefully, when I'm up for the new phone, the diamond three- or whatever the successor to the current line is, is out.

Addmendmum- Okay, i forgot the zoom bar. That might be actualy nice, but still not worth the money. and really, on a bigger screen you should need to zoom less, not more. I'd hope.

Suggestions for the third generation of This phone?
A 2.5 jack would be nice.

Edit- Three of us posting on the same lines at once.

ericlin0122 02-16-2009 01:28 PM

Re: New Diamond and TP revelealed at MWC

Cons:
- Still crappy CPU
- No 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Still crappy RAM/ROM

Pro:
- Cumstom rom available on XDA and here :)

Whoever has diamond and pro probly will never upgrade to these phones, unless they r totally ppc geek.

SprintTouch08 02-16-2009 01:41 PM

is anyone else not impressed?

sounds like the same phone we have with a little bigger screen. Not very much to cough over another $600

Same memory, processor, camera, yay it tilts..., basically a touch pro with the HD screen. i mean geez its 2009 bump up the specs- tegra anyone?

The diamond2 is a little better with a 5mp camera, but still the same specs.

I dont get it its 2009 we have 1ghz tegra processors, why not? We know companies put more than 512 storage on board, why not a gig? I just dont get it, usually HTC doesnt do little reharshes which is all these seem to be- prettier and bigger screens but nothing changed with the specs.

BillJr106 02-16-2009 01:41 PM

This looks and sounds great... but If I dont have a flash, and have to pay full price for this... then I guess I will have to wait...

badboy8813 02-16-2009 01:48 PM

looks like it might be running 6.5! http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/w...with-engadget/

pdx77 02-16-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badboy8813 (Post 715883)
looks like it might be running 6.5! http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/w...with-engadget/

From what I understand it's not going to come out with 6.5 right away, but is going to have a free upgrade to 6.5 when it comes out.

faustianoverdrive 02-16-2009 01:55 PM

Is there anything stopping us from putting 6.5 on the current phones? And they'll probably run it a touch faster, having less graphics-space to render

woody88 02-16-2009 02:02 PM

shouldn't the TP2, be called, Touch Tilt Pro 2? ;) I don't understand why we are getting a bigger screen, if HTC is just going to continue to mess up on the video playback. You get a screen that big, and can't rival the playback of an iphone, that would really be a shame. I hope they are able to at least work out the video playback issue, and the 3.5mm jack cannot hurt. and if they can do it to the touch HD, why can't they do it to TD2 and TP2?