PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: PPC6800, PPC6850 XV6875
Carrier: Verizon

gregshap is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Apple wins patent for iPhone touch-screen controls

Apple wins patent for iPhone touch-screen controls
11 hours ago

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) — Apple has won a US patent for touch-screen controls and gained a potential legal weapon against iPhone competitors.

US Patent 7,479,949 is awarded to "(Steve) Jobs et al" for a method of "detecting one or more finger contacts with the touch screen display" to command computing devices.

A multi-page patent available online at the US Patent and Trade Office on Monday details iPhone or iPod Touch commands such as finger or thumb swiping, twisting, or spreading to flip pages, rotate views, or enlarge images.

The patent was issued last week, a day before Apple on January 21 announced record-high quarterly profits.

Word of the patent provides ominous context for a warning made by Apple chief operating officer Tim Cook during a conference call that followed release the California firm's earnings report.

Cook said he believes iPhones are "years ahead of the competition" and that they are vigilantly watching to make certain rivals don't usurp Apple's intellectual property.

"We think competition is good," Cook said. "We are ready to suit up and go against anyone. However, we will not stand for having our IP ripped off and will use whatever weapons at our disposal."

While not mentioning a specific competitor, Cook made his comment in reply to a question related to a new Palm Pre touch-screen mobile telephone unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show this month to stellar reviews.

It sounds like they are afraid..........
PPC-6800 Converted to XV-6800
XV-6850 - Touch (This) Pro
XV-6875 - Touch (This) Pro2
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: OnePlus 8 5G
Carrier: T-Mobile

demonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation leveldemonlordoftheround can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Apple wins patent for iPhone touch-screen controls

I wonder if this can be applied to other "computing devices" other than mobile phones. Think Apple will take on other touch screen non-mobile phone device manufacturers?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted
Carrier: Sprint

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

here's an article i found about it today. since the Pre has that type of technology, would they have to pull it?? or just pay like a royalty or something for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround View Post
Think Apple will take on other touch screen non-mobile phone device manufacturers?
yupp
Old 01-27-2009, 05:25 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I think this patent is going to fail in court. Maybe multi-touch, but touch? Seriously? Prior art much?
Old 01-27-2009, 05:36 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: PPC6800, q9c, a900, Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

memphisboi55 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to memphisboi55 Send a message via Yahoo to memphisboi55

Hmmmmmmmmmm

is the end near for touch screen phones?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: GS3/stock&unrooted

skeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on repskeegcpp is halfway to VIP status based on rep

well, what i got out of it, was that not touch screen, but certain technologies used by touch screens. but i feel what the OP said, it probably wont hold in court, or someone or thing will prevent the patent from being finalized, but hey anything can happen. hell the Ded Sox won the series in '04, anything goes..lol
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

I thought it wasn't so much that they will take down any other multi touch phones as they will any phone that relies on the same technology FOR multitouch, know what I mean?

I ****ing hate Apple. Multitouch was inevitable but since they bought up the geniuses needed to put out the ipod touch /iphone first, suddenly its not ok for anyone else to have multitouch? Bullsh*t like this is counter-productive to technology.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
I thought it wasn't so much that they will take down any other multi touch phones as they will any phone that relies on the same technology FOR multitouch, know what I mean?

I ****ing hate Apple. Multitouch was inevitable but since they bought up the geniuses needed to put out the ipod touch /iphone first, suddenly its not ok for anyone else to have multitouch? Bullsh*t like this is counter-productive to technology.
As much as most will agree, this is just reality.
As far as I read it, the multi-touch patent extends to the "gestures" that the iphone/itouch are well-known for, not for the touch screens in general.

As for it standing up in the courts, you never know what can happen, so it's hard to predict. One thing is that we'll probably find out soon with the Palm Pre release coming soon.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney

Moved to Pocket PC News Forum.

I know this is not about the PPC, but could change the future of the PPC.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 01-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

I also read where Apple is going to patent the way you type on your pc keyboard. Essentially they will be protecting the way your finger interacts with the keys. And soon, they will be patenting the way you eat...and the way you sleep....etc.

And I agree with schettj...it will fail.

late,
Coz

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives