PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

johnnycakes2 is keeping up the good workjohnnycakes2 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 2009 HTC OEM Products

It could very well be WVGA, and frankly I hope it is. But it will not be the 400x800 (or 480x800, whichever it is) of the 2008 Touch HD. What you're looking at in the Barium model is simply the current Touch Pro with a larger screen, thus negating the wheel. Even the keyboard has fewer keys on it than the current Touch Pro, which either means the keys on the Barium are larger or the entire unit has been made smaller than the current Touch Pro.

Look at the Barium and then look at the link below. I just don't see the Barium/Tungsten/Rhodium having as large or as HD a screen. To add a keyboard onto the current dimensions of the Touch HD would be awful. It would be the Thoth. Probably why Apple won't do it to the iPhone. Phones should be getting smaller, not larger.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/imag...tctouchhd1.jpg
Old 01-15-2009, 09:13 AM
I love root
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

dannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIPdannzeman is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes2 View Post
...Look at the Barium and then look at the link below. I just don't see the Barium/Tungsten/Rhodium having as large or as HD a screen. To add a keyboard onto the current dimensions of the Touch HD would be awful. It would be the Thoth. Probably why Apple won't do it to the iPhone. Phones should be getting smaller, not larger...
I would actually prefer a device the size of the Touch HD with a slide out QWERTY. Personally, I prefer screen real estate over compactness. Besides, touch phones with or without keyboards can only get so small before they become unusable. I think we saw that with the Centro, even though its not a WM phone.
Lesson learned don't work on PPC while drinking.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...
Carrier: Verizon

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

and to reiterate the phones are awesome
but what os will they run? WM 6.1 or 6.5? I would think 6.1 but if that's so please bump up the ram so we can increase our pagepool!
I find that to be a good balance
plus why are we so quick to dismiss wm6? I mean considering that we have very little details regarding compatibility of programs from wm6 -> 7 shouldn't there be a bit of a backoff until we know for sure the programs (thousands of them) are compatible with the new os?
Old 01-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evolicious

TreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on repTreyBeno is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
I would actually prefer a device the size of the Touch HD with a slide out QWERTY. Personally, I prefer screen real estate over compactness. Besides, touch phones with or without keyboards can only get so small before they become unusable. I think we saw that with the Centro, even though its not a WM phone.
I have to agree. I think we're already getting to the point where these phones are small enough. We can all agree that 4 inches is about right in terms of screen size. As far as thickness, I welcome a sliding keyboard. There may be some nice sips out there but none are universally as useful as a hard keyboard. As a matter of fact after playing with an iphone it felt too thin and almost fragile. The thickness of our TPs isnt that bad. Just compared to these "toy" phones it seems thick. But our phones arent toys (in theory) and those other phones are tiny bcuz they dont have all the stuff thats jammed into our TPs. My 2 cents
Old 01-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Big MVP Diesel
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO 2

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to BigDiesel07 Send a message via Skype™ to BigDiesel07

I like your thinking Trey
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Eris
Carrier: Verizon

pjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regularpjsockett is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Here is a side by side comparison of the Barium and Touch HD. Given they are the same overall size they newer devices clearly have a smaller screen. That's not to say that they won't be WVGA 480 x 800 is strictly a resolution not a screen size.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compared.jpg (68.0 KB, 68 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Big MVP Diesel

BigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation levelBigDiesel07 can't get a higher reputation level

Well... It looks like a lot of the phones listed might be using the new nVidia Tegra processor
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Chillin'
Pocket PC: Evolved....

hooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rephooover is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Big D you find out all the info...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Big MVP Diesel

Thank you Hoover.. I like finding the info.. I have a list of sites I browse...
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2

johnnycakes2 is keeping up the good workjohnnycakes2 is keeping up the good work

Nice find, Big D.

Of all the new models, the Whitestone and Firestone look to be the ones getting Tegra. I doubt the other models will. Tegra already has me sold on whichever device gets it. Add WinMo 6.5-7 and HTC gets my lunch money.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives