PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Palm Treo Smartphone = HTC Iris? (Speculation/Update)

I'm updating this thread for some new, interesting speculation: the upcoming Palm 690 (?) series of mid-range smartphones running WM is really the HTC Iris, just approved by the FCC.

Strange, eh? Here's some reasoning with a pinch of salt:

- Besides the color, they look sort of similar. Subjective, but obviously devices change from concept to reality.

- Palm has mentioned leveraging their OEMs for more, quicker releases with Palm's "secret sauce" i.e. optimization

Quote:
We’re making less direct R&D investments in that because the ODM partners have gained a lot of expertise in the area, particularly in the area of Windows Mobile. So the thinking here is to leverage that more effectively, we can have —we can do a lot of design and specification and ideation around products there and bring some of our secret sauce, but leverage a lot of their expertise for the execution and we think that can be a very leveraged model and also allow us to put a wider range of products out more quickly.
(source)

- If the rumors of an 8/30 release date for Palm are remotely close for Sprint, it would be odd if there are 2 WM smartphones coming out on CDMA for either carrier. Plus the FCC clearance lends credence to the 8/30 target date.

I don't know, it's speculation yet there are some weird coincidences. Palms has said that they would basically do this: work with their OEMs for a lot of f different releases. It looks similar to what has been leaked already. Plus I can't believe there would be a possible Palm WM smartphone, Motorola Q II (or Q q9 cdma) plus an HTC Iris all CDMA coming out soon.

So, discuss. lol

Update: I have no idea if this is the 800w or what, but this is appears to be a new Palm device running WM5/6 Smartphone Edition. (thanks to UGlee at TC.com for posting)

Go here: LINK

I have no idea what it is exactly though one could easily imagine:

- 320x320 resolution (now possible with WM6)
- Of course WM6 Pro
- EvDO Rev A
- Thinner
- Internal antenna

Release date is scheduled tentatively for 9/13.

Where ever this is a Verizon Treo there is usually a Sprint one too.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul, HTC Apache

jamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuffjamesus knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jamesus Send a message via Yahoo to jamesus
I saw that, but didn't find anything else about it. Thanks for the update!

A mass of tears have transformed to stones now sharpened on suffering and woven into slings...
Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would assume all of the same things, and perhaps a memory upgrade. The "norm" is becoming 128MB RAM/ 256MB ROM so we'll see
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

PerfectHybrid is a n00b
i dont know what i would do with myself if they decided to drop wifi in there but knowing verizon highly doubtful, sprint guys have a chance though but heres to hoping...

Don't forget to hit the '+'
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Bumping my own thread due to the update of the 1st post.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
Thanks for the update Mal!

If Sprint dose get a Treo w/ smartphone edition I hope Palm dose their magic with the memory, and puts a nice screen on it. Then I will be all over it. A bugless type Q device will be sweet!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives