PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Apache
Carrier: Sprint

The_Omni is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MS Gives Free WM6 Upgrade Licenses to OEM & Carriers

http://ppc-central.com/index.php?topic=823.0
Old 03-01-2007, 04:35 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
No need to post the same info twice

http://www.ppcgeeks.com/htc-says-fre...ces-t3294.html

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-05-2007, 05:37 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Uhmm I thought I read a post by Courtney, who works at Sprint, saying that the 6700 was going to be discontinued.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Guess everyone forgot to read that other article?

Free Windows Mobile 6 upgrades for existing vendors - a lie

or this other article:

"Bad news for current HTC users running hardware powered by Windows Mobile 5; you won’t be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. According to a response from HTC to an inquiry from a P3600 user requesting information about a possible upgrade for his device, the company says they will not offer any upgrades to current users, but will produce WM6-powered devices this year. Translation: If you want Windows Mobile 6, buy our new products."

HTC Won’t Offer Windows Mobile 6 Upgrade To Customers
Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan
Carrier: Verizon

xmind2006 is a n00b
I get a feeling that a couple of "news" sites/blogs are posting the information about free WM6 upgrades to get user hopes up and hopefully put more pressure on MS or HTC to actually follow through with this "news". The only phones I see getting WM6 "upgrade" would be the xv6800 (since it is supposed to have WM5 AKU3.5 on verizon....Sprint seems to be waiting until WM6 is ready for it) and other VERY recently released phones (possibly the Hermes). I highly doubt they'd support the previous generation of a phone to this upgrade.

IMHO anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
I would add that the HTC Dash is definitely getting the upgrade, in fact beta ROMs are floating around and being used as we speak.

The Motorola Q (GSM) version and Moto's Q q9 are both running WM6 as well which gives credence or at least weight to the notion that the CDMA version will also get WM6 (Moto has said so via email, but nothing official).
Old 03-05-2007, 03:15 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's possible if it's a MS play to keep people (who now *have* to buy a new phone to get WM6 anyway, and could just say "bugger that, I'll get me an iPhone") in the MS camp. I could really see that as a reason.

So MS pushes (er, gives for free) WM6 to the OEMs and helps them decide to roll it out for recent keyboard phones, ditto for the carriers, as a market share play.

Possible, anyway.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

garov55 is a n00b
HTC "No Upgrades" Rumour Debunked
Posted by Jason Dunn @ 06:45 PM
I saw this over on PocketFactory and it made me raise an eyebrow:

"Bad news for current HTC users running hardware powered by Windows Mobile 5; you won’t be getting an upgrade to Windows Mobile 6. According to a response from HTC to an inquiry from a P3600 user requesting information about a possible upgrade for his device, the company says they will not offer any upgrades to current users, but will produce WM6-powered devices this year. Translation: If you want Windows Mobile 6, buy our new products."

Zero upgrades? That seemed extreme, even for a company that doesn't always provide upgrades for all devices. I asked Jason Gordon, Senior Manager of Communications for HTC America, for an official response to this, and he sent me this:

"HTC and its carrier partners will have Windows Mobile 6 upgrades available for a variety of recently released devices. We will continue to work with these partners to provide additional upgrades based on market need."

No further details, but it seems obvious that HTC will have some upgrades to Windows Mobile 6 coming out. Good news for all of us!

from
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/inde...r_debunked.htm
Old 03-12-2007, 05:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Titan
Carrier: Verizon

Christopher Price is starting in the wrong direction
Quote:
Originally Posted by polargoat
Just got off off the phone with tier 2 and she said that they are going to roll out wm6 to 6700 along with the newer ppc's whenever that will be. Not holding my breath. We'll have it out long before they do along with I-(couph) Phone. lol
UTStarcom has said the same line with each device. They said the Toshiba e550G (which Audiovox maintained in the U.S.) would receive Windows Mobile 2003. Didn't happen.

They then said the PPC-6600 would get EV-DO on Sprint, and would probably get WM5. Didn't happen.

You can see where I'm going with this... both of those were on-record and for-publishing statements that we ran with. I still get hate mail claiming I'm part of the problem for why the PPC-6600 never got updated... from people that don't know/care that I was one of the people screaming at Sprint and UTStarcom leadership to push those updates through.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives