PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: FCC regulate termination fees?
YES 43 55.84%
NO 24 31.17%
Indifferent 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 07:49 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FCC chief ready to regulate termination fees

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24796836/
Quote:
The head of the Federal Communications Commission said Friday he wants to regulate fees charged to cell phone users who cancel their wireless contracts early.At a news conference, FCC Chairman Kevin Martin would not say whether he endorses an industry plan to help consumers avoid "early termination fees" as detailed by The Associated Press earlier this week.
But Martin said he supports regulating the fees at a federal level, even if it affects a series of class-action lawsuits against carriers in state courts.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:01 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Re: FCC chief ready to regulate termination fees

I dont think customers realize that the early termination fees associated with long term contracts are high are to pay back the subsidies they received on their heavily discounted phone.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:10 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Threadstarter

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

exactly. ppl don't think about from the right perspective. sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it's not. if there's a plan out there that will save them $50/mo or even $20, then just pay the $175. granted you don't have to spend $$$ on new phone(s).
Old 06-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Thats some good news! I wonder who's getting a class-action lawsuit though... hahaha

Oh, and can anyone access google.com? They seems to be down... REALLY weird. Everything else works, but google is out? *shudders*

Doesn't that violate some sort of fundemental law for the proper operation of the internet?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Touch Pro 2

firebrain is just getting started

i highly doubt google is down they have 6x redundancy by me it works fine
Old 06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrain View Post
i highly doubt google is down they have 6x redundancy by me it works fine
Thats whats weird! Its STILL down at my place! I've heard about their redundancy, caching, etc... but I can get to google.com fine, but it won't search anything. It just says keeps loading and times out.

And its not my internet connection - I've got T1.5

-ON TOPIC-

It seems the FCC is wanting to help everyone more, especially with the whole nationwide WiFi network, cancelling out analog signals to clear frequency, helping with WiMax...

Now if they would just let us record certain programs with our DVR's...
Old 06-15-2008, 12:23 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberius85 View Post
I dont think customers realize that the early termination fees associated with long term contracts are high are to pay back the subsidies they received on their heavily discounted phone.
Yep, that's why they have it. Carriers discount the phone when you first sign up. If you keep their service for 2 years, they recoup the price of the phone. If not, then that's when they hit ya for the price of the phone.

Of course a prorated ETF would be nice!

Old 06-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Surround
Carrier: AT&T

Tiberius85 is keeping up the good workTiberius85 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Yep, that's why they have it. Carriers discount the phone when you first sign up. If you keep their service for 2 years, they recoup the price of the phone. If not, then that's when they hit ya for the price of the phone.

Of course a prorated ETF would be nice!
I think carriers 'pro-rate' it now in the form of halved discounts on new phones on additional 2 year agreements 1 year through the first one. But still, yeah a month to month pro-rate would be excellent.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
To be fair, this is not ALWAYS the case. Multiple times through my history with Sprint they talked me into extending my contract for reasons NOT related to a new phone. 10% discounts, change in plans, etc. Point is, a subsidized phone is not ALWAYS relevant to each person's two-year-contract. Besides, we're not interested in losing the termination fee altogether. Pro-rating it is much more reasonable.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:44 PM
The Source of Power
Pocket PC: EVO4G & EPIC4g

Trident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on repTrident is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Skype™ to Trident

Quote:
Which is true if you recently got a heavily discounted phone.
But I've been with Sprint for many years- they extend my contract every time I change plans or get some little discount. If I were to decide to terminate early, I don't think I'd see my 5% discount as a good trade-off for some $150 or more early termination fee.
Good thing I'm not considering leaving them any time soon.

Oops. I guess I should have read the rest of the posts before saying the same thing.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives