PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
XDA to Pull *all* ROMs next week. Are we next?

Hate to spoil the party, especially the ridiculous Apache forum

From Engadget/Mobile:

Xda-Developers to pull all ROM images next week

Posted Feb 14th 2007 2:22PM by Sean Cooper
Filed under: Windows Mobile, Misc

Microsoft has asked that the revered Xda-Developers site take down all Windows Mobile device ROM images. Sadly, it was inevitable that this day would eventually come. For those not in the know, the Xda-Developer forums are the uncrowned king or top shelf contender for any and all help, tips, tools or hacks for just about anything in the Windows Mobile world. In the past, Microsoft has asked to have images that were pre-release removed and the moderators always obliged, this time it would appear that it is for keeps. In conversation with Microsoft they argued that although the ROM images contain Microsoft software, having them available to the community doesn't necessarily hurt Microsoft's interests as their revenue stream ends with the purchase of the device proper. We will leave the legal debate to the lawyers, but the site is going to comply with the request. If you are into all that Windows Mobile tweaking and cooking – we suggest you get there posthaste and greedy as much stuff as you can before it is gone for good. Administrator Peter Poelman puts it rather succinctly at the end of the announcement he posted this morning: "The vendor giveth, and the vendor taketh away." Oh yeah, happy Valentine's day.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...ges-next-week/
Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Harrier, HTC Apache, HTC Titan, HTC Vogue....

colonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuffcolonel knows their stuff
Interesting. Can anyone get on to xda right now? I am actually surprised that it is Microsoft throwing the punches. I figured UTStarcom or the carriers would have an issue since it could potentially hurt their sales of new devices. Perhaps they are pressuring MS.

Two points:

-I doubt that this will really curb any rom cooking. At best, it might push it underground a bit

-Instead of embracing the information, requests, and insight of the "Power" users, they have chosen to silence it. Thus, creating a void for users of future devices when they come "stock", lacking in performance, customization, and user interest.

If you have been helped by me or would like to support developers like Olipro, helmi_c, and others please feel free to Donate

ALWAYS FLASH BACK TO YOUR CARRIER'S OFFICIAL ROM BEFORE TAKING YOUR PHONE IN FOR SERVICE OF ANY KIND

Old 02-14-2007, 05:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile NL --> KPN soon

SpeedDemon is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to SpeedDemon
XDA seems overloaded at the moment.

Everybody wants to get their hands on the Roms still available. This does not help MS in any way though. I think the Roms will pop up on other sites in a matter of days.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
i dont understand why microsoft cares. people with these cooked rom don't call providers or microsoft for support. hello.

microsoft gets all the money thay ever will get when the phone is purchased.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Motorola Photon & Bravo
Carrier: Sprint & AT&T PAYG

budney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on repbudney is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to budney
This blows! I am not woried in the least about all this they are many other ways to get the ROMS. I just would like to know the reasoning behind it. Example: MS automaticly starts sending out upgrades & patches to WM users???

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020923.gif http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n...1249020658.gif
Old 02-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

bunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good workbunnytrigger is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to bunnytrigger Send a message via MSN to bunnytrigger Send a message via Yahoo to bunnytrigger Send a message via Skype™ to bunnytrigger
/me cries

haven't you heard? corporations are the new government. They're constitutionally-exempt.

92% of teens have moved onto WoW. if you are part of the 8% that still play REAL games, copy n paste

Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Threadstarter

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by budney
I just would like to know the reasoning behind it.
Mostly legal jargon but they do have some reasoning. It was posted over at XDA in the announcement:

Originally Posted by Microsoft
Quote:
Microsoft has limited redistribution policies in place for a number of products, from desktop applications like Office, to downloads such as Windows Media Player and Windows Live Messenger, to Windows Mobile products. The licensing terms for Windows Mobile products also varies between versions and is different for each device depending on the features included by the OEM. As you may know, Microsoft is dedicated to protecting its copyright and other intellectual property rights.

I do know XDA-developers.com is home to many device enthusiasts; however I’m not in a position to debate the legitimacy of any specific piece of software hosted by this site. We have received feedback from several sources on the software hosted by XDA-developers, including mobile operators with customers requesting support on “unofficial ROM images” and media agencies reporting on unreleased ROM versions to name a few. From this feedback, legal review of the sites content, and misconceptions; we concluded we should inform you of the actual Microsoft policies through my original email. These policies are consistent for all non-licensed channels.

We do appreciate the feedback you have given us in the past.

I can assure you we have teams focused on improving Windows Mobile developer’s experiences and if you have additional feedback I encourage you to use the Microsoft developer newsgroups or I would be more than happy to forward this on.

I regret that I’m the bearer of bad news, however we do appreciate your understanding of this matter and trust you will remove our content, including “ROM images” containing our content, as originally requested.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

verizonguy is becoming a great contributor
It is all so silly. Hopefully PPCG won't be forced to take things down, but if they are, I and I'm sure others, will step up and host sites with private access to custom roms.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Apache

The_Omni is a n00b
From a post on PPC6700users.com

http://ppc6700users.com/forums/viewt...?p=25054#25054

ls6tt

I fwd this to a buddy at Microsoft licensing dept for some information.

Ill sign the petition

--------------------------------

ls6tt

quick update, he said it wasnt the actual product and downloads being asked to be yanked, just the visual aspects and the physical name of Microsoft be removed.

--------------------------------

The_Omni

hrm, interesting

Thanks ls6tt

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives