PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices



Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
utropicmedia-karl's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Reputation: 10
utropicmedia-karl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
And what's up with their pricing. The Touch Pro 2 is the only phone I would consider and it is $349.99 WITH a contract renewal, come on really. I can but it right now on ebay NEW with no contract for $349.99.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-new-Sprint...item2a039babbe

I just got a sprint TP2 for 199. No one pays the prices listed on the site. Also with sprintbuyback.com I'll net out around 120 for the TP2.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM
gullzway's Avatar
VFW Member
Offline
Pocket PC: GNote2 Sprint SERO!
Carrier: Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71
Threadstarter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,422
Reputation: 1105
gullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on repgullzway is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
I just got a sprint TP2 for 199. No one pays the prices listed on the site. Also with sprintbuyback.com I'll net out around 120 for the TP2.
Great, so how and where did you get it for $199??
Why do they put prices on their site if no one pays that.

I do see the $65 for a Diamond on buyback, that would be fine with me.

Edit: I just spoke with Reps at two different stores here in Tulsa and they basically laughed and said I'm not going to get it for less than $350 ($100 mail-in.) I said that is rediculous! So I assume you went through Retentions.

Last edited by gullzway; 12-29-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 PM
utropicmedia-karl's Avatar
Lurker
Offline
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 15
Reputation: 10
utropicmedia-karl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullzway View Post
Great, so how and where did you get it for $199??
Why do they put prices on their site if no one pays that.

I do see the $65 for a Diamond on buyback, that would be fine with me.

Edit: I just spoke with Reps at two different stores here in Tulsa and they basically laughed and said I'm not going to get it for less than $350 ($100 mail-in.) I said that is rediculous! So I assume you went through Retentions.

I've been a corporate customer for almost 10 years. I went to the Sprint store closest to my house, though they had to order it as they don't stock them.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 PM
InvincibleLiving's Avatar
Post Master General
Offline
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network
Location: Leesburg, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,464
Reputation: 4222
InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by utropicmedia-karl View Post
I've been a corporate customer for almost 10 years. I went to the Sprint store closest to my house, though they had to order it as they don't stock them.
besides being a corporate customer for 10 years, how did they come to offer it to you for that price? What did you say? I'm CERTAIN you didnt just walk in and they said "Here have it for $199"...
__________________
Creator of iLife ROM Series

Best... Member... Ever...
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 AM
champ052005's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: Vogue/Touch Pro/Touch Pro 2/HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Michigan
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 349
Reputation: 375
champ052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularchamp052005 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to champ052005
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
besides being a corporate customer for 10 years, how did they come to offer it to you for that price? What did you say? I'm CERTAIN you didnt just walk in and they said "Here have it for $199"...

I'm sure if you ask the retentions department nicely then I wouldn't be surprised if they give it to you for that price. Remember that every Sprint rep will tell you something else so if it doesn't work the first time, then try again.

I've heard of several people who have gotten this deal.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:15 PM
monkeyboy's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 238
Reputation: 125
monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
And why in the world is there such a price difference between Android devices and WinMo's?!!!! You can get a Hero for $180 after upgrade/rebate... but the TP2 is $350 after upgrade/rebate... and $100 more than what any other carrier is offering for the SAME device running the SAME specs?
the obvious reason is that Sprint's subsidy for the TP2 is at least $100-150 less than for a Hero and therefore Sprint can afford to let it on a legacy F&C or even SERO. A Hero, Pre etc OTOH is sold at such a low price (high subsidy) to compete with the $200 iPhone, that Sprint MUST recoup that subsidy by forcing the Everything plans with these phones. Verizon can sell the TP2 at $200 because its forced plan rates *are* also higher than SERO/F&C to allow recouping that subsidy (but take note of its outrageous ETF).

These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800. Supposing you do sell them contract for $200. You need to recoup at least $500-600 before you break even. That's $20-25/mo for 2 years. Exactly how can Sprint actually earn any money on $30-20=$10/mo for voice/text/data? That's why a $500-600 subsidy (Pre, Hero, etc) NEEDS to go on a $50-70/mo plan.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
InvincibleLiving's Avatar
Post Master General
Offline
Pocket PC: White Evo: Myn's TPT RLS5, Stock Kernel
Carrier: The "NOW" Network
Location: Leesburg, VA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,464
Reputation: 4222
InvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributionsInvincibleLiving should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
the obvious reason is that Sprint's subsidy for the TP2 is at least $100-150 less than for a Hero and therefore Sprint can afford to let it on a legacy F&C or even SERO. A Hero, Pre etc OTOH is sold at such a low price (high subsidy) to compete with the $200 iPhone, that Sprint MUST recoup that subsidy by forcing the Everything plans with these phones. Verizon can sell the TP2 at $200 because its forced plan rates *are* also higher than SERO/F&C to allow recouping that subsidy (but take note of its outrageous ETF).

These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800. Supposing you do sell them contract for $200. You need to recoup at least $500-600 before you break even. That's $20-25/mo for 2 years. Exactly how can Sprint actually earn any money on $30-20=$10/mo for voice/text/data? That's why a $500-600 subsidy (Pre, Hero, etc) NEEDS to go on a $50-70/mo plan.
I follow the logic of what you say except for where you say " These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800." Thats the entire problem right there, there's no reason these devices should ever retail for such an amount! I can now buy 2 PS3's for that same amount lol. And therein lies the problem with the whole celluar system, the costs are grossly over-inflated for the services rendered.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Dr.8820's Avatar
Account Disabled
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,018
Reputation: 15481
Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

the $199.99 deal is strictly for corporate or business owners only. you might catch a rep on a good day that will give this price to regular folks.
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM
monkeyboy's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 238
Reputation: 125
monkeyboy is keeping up the good workmonkeyboy is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvincibleLiving View Post
I follow the logic of what you say except for where you say " These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800." Thats the entire problem right there, there's no reason these devices should ever retail for such an amount! I can now buy 2 PS3's for that same amount lol. And therein lies the problem with the whole celluar system, the costs are grossly over-inflated for the services rendered.
I can't really agree with you, although I also can't lay out exact the costs involved. But first, you should realize that the retail price of a PS3 is also HEAVILY subsized by Sony. PS3 are sold at a loss, I believe at least at a $200-300 loss, with the intention of gaining that back with game sales (4 game sales easily brings back $200). So the unsubsidized retail price of a PS3 would be closer to $600-700. Here is a sample news item:
Quote:
Pricing the PlayStation 3 below its production cost caused Sony to lose $2.16 billion in 2007 and $1.16 billion in 2008, the company revealed today. Sony's fiscal 2008 annual report delineated potential risk factors to its investors, outlining that "the large-scale investment required during the development and introductory period of a new gaming platform may not be fully recovered."
Also consider that these smartphones like a TP2, are every bit as capable and sophisticated as a modern laptop, but in miniature form, which itself adds to the cost. Hesse has been quoted as confirming these prices and subsidy levels publicly, so the numbers I presented are not fiction.

Lastly, you seem to be conflating the cost of devices with the cost of wireless services. In any case, the bottomline is that Sprint has been losing money bigtime, so it is difficult to argue that they are overcharging in the broad scheme of things...
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2010, 07:49 PM
robertrulez's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 70
Reputation: 10
robertrulez is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: "Sprint now has the most compelling lineup of smartphones..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
the obvious reason is that Sprint's subsidy for the TP2 is at least $100-150 less than for a Hero and therefore Sprint can afford to let it on a legacy F&C or even SERO. A Hero, Pre etc OTOH is sold at such a low price (high subsidy) to compete with the $200 iPhone, that Sprint MUST recoup that subsidy by forcing the Everything plans with these phones. Verizon can sell the TP2 at $200 because its forced plan rates *are* also higher than SERO/F&C to allow recouping that subsidy (but take note of its outrageous ETF).

These kinds of devices like the TP2 actually cost $600-800. Supposing you do sell them contract for $200. You need to recoup at least $500-600 before you break even. That's $20-25/mo for 2 years. Exactly how can Sprint actually earn any money on $30-20=$10/mo for voice/text/data? That's why a $500-600 subsidy (Pre, Hero, etc) NEEDS to go on a $50-70/mo plan.
completely untrue

touch pro 2s sell for 380 on ebay and thats without a contract, these people need to make a profit so obviously they retail way less

http://catalog.ebay.com/HTC-Touch-Pr...=p3286.c0.m271
Reply With Quote
Reply

  PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com