PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Motorola Q (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Thoughts on the Q as an alternative to my WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=4676)

Darth Pooh 05-31-2007 09:19 AM

Thoughts on the Q as an alternative to my WX

I guess I am really asking people who have used the WX and the Q and what are the pro's and con's for each. (Mal, I know you think the WX is the Caddie of phones, but what can you tell me for argument of the Q).

I have to use a 3200 extended battery on my WX with about 40-60% remaining by evening (this obviously tells you how I use data/voice daily) so I guess I am a power user. Will the Q hold up? I heard it chokes on power when running more than two things... and I like the ease of how I can close things out quickly with touchscreen. I am probably leaning towards the 6800 (which is very slim and sexy but no where near the stylishness of the Q) but I did want to know what thoughts of the Q were in general.

Thanks for the input guys.

al3azim 05-31-2007 12:33 PM

Yeah same here. I am considering the Q as well to replace my 700wx but more because I like to change. Will I be disapointed with the switch?

Darth Pooh 05-31-2007 12:49 PM

I held one last night at the Sprint store... my girlfriend is moving from TMO to here and she is not a smartphone person but I tried talking her into the Q (for my own interests of course). It is sexy... thats for sure. I just don't think it will have the horsepower I am used to in my zippy WX.

g-funkster 05-31-2007 02:36 PM

I'm about to be sent a new 700wx because Verizon seems to think the Q is giving me problems, not their service. of course :?

Anyway, I'm torn half and half. I liked the 700wx, I liked the Q also. Here's what's bad about the Q:

Keyboard skips characters while typing
Replying to SMSs is blah, I'm used to threaded!
Battery life
lack of certain apps, though 50% of that is the threaded SMS :)

on the other hand:
Looks great!
Super skinny in your Pocket
Sooo light you can barely feel it at times
Screen is GREAT
MiniUSB for charging/synching: the best!

My opinion is, the Q is pretty great despite my feelings a year ago on the matter. The 3rd parties are catching up and have done a great job so far, I'm barely missing any apps, and that's what these devices are all about. If it wasn't for 3rd party, I'd probably be keeping my eyes on blackberries :)

Malatesta 05-31-2007 05:54 PM

Re: Thoughts on the Q as an alternative to my WX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Pooh
I guess I am really asking people who have used the WX and the Q and what are the pro's and con's for each. (Mal, I know you think the WX is the Caddie of phones, but what can you tell me for argument of the Q).

I have to use a 3200 extended battery on my WX with about 40-60% remaining by evening (this obviously tells you how I use data/voice daily) so I guess I am a power user. Will the Q hold up? I heard it chokes on power when running more than two things... and I like the ease of how I can close things out quickly with touchscreen. I am probably leaning towards the 6800 (which is very slim and sexy but no where near the stylishness of the Q) but I did want to know what thoughts of the Q were in general.

Thanks for the input guys.

If you use a 3200mah battery on the Treo I don't think the Q is for you (standard battery is only 1130mah).

On the whole, the Q is a great lite smarthphone. It has less available Program and Storage memory than the 700wx therefore it tends to slow down (but for normal things, surfing, email, RSS, photos, it's plenty fine and you wont' really notice, though as a whole it is slightly slower than the Treo).

The Q is great for someone who primarily needs a cellphone that can do some PPC stuff. BT is also amazing on the Q.

The Treo is a PDA that is a great phone and the 6800 is a PDA with a phone built in. almost as an afterthought.

The OS is obviously different and takes time to get used to but you can easily do 90% of what you do on the Treo (in fact Slingbox looks better due to 320x240 orientation). The phone part is really good and the dedicated Email button is also helpful. The screen is spectacular (no touchscreen).

I had problems with entering roaming areas where the device won't switch back (same with Treo) but for the most part Q= very stable.

Like I said, they have more in common than differences but the Treo is a very solid, svelt beast of a device. The Q is a small, lite but fully capable smartphone. The battery life cannot compare to even the defualt Treo battery but on a whole, with some tweaks it's not bad.

Also, no Threaded SMS on the Q if that matters.

At this point, I really like the Q but love the Treo hence why I'm back to using it again.

Darth Pooh 06-01-2007 08:30 AM

Re: Thoughts on the Q as an alternative to my WX

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malatesta
If you use a 3200mah battery on the Treo I don't think the Q is for you (standard battery is only 1130mah).

I wouldn't mind carry around my USB charger for it, and I would always have a car charger. The 3200 is just a way to not have to do that on a constant basis. I wouldn't because I am a teacher and I could always charge it while in the class.

Quote:

On the whole, the Q is a great lite smarthphone. It has less available Program and Storage memory than the 700wx therefore it tends to slow down (but for normal things, surfing, email, RSS, photos, it's plenty fine and you wont' really notice, though as a whole it is slightly slower than the Treo).

I've actually slowed down my Treo before, so I can only imagine what I would do to the Q. I was in the store the other night and while it is sexy, I used the store managers with the photo contact rotating Today screen plugin; man I thought it was so sluggish and wimpy feeling.

Quote:

The Q is great for someone who primarily needs a cellphone that can do some PPC stuff. BT is also amazing on the Q.

I think I am a guy who uses a PPC that does a phone. I am most DEF using more data apps (i.e. IRC, PIE, AIM, SMS) than voice calls.

Quote:

The Treo is a PDA that is a great phone and the 6800 is a PDA with a phone built in. almost as an afterthought.

Most likely the only issue I have with the 6800 over the 700WX is the form factor. I mean, it is so much easier to do things one handed with the letters already at your finger tips! Responding to SMS is a breeze on the TREO, where on my 6700 I feel like its a chore. However, more programs will work for the 320x240 resolution on the 6800.

Quote:

The OS is obviously different and takes time to get used to but you can easily do 90% of what you do on the Treo (in fact Slingbox looks better due to 320x240 orientation). The phone part is really good and the dedicated Email button is also helpful. The screen is spectacular (no touchscreen).

Maybe that is why I am so attracted to it... Resolution on that thing is just so much better than the Treo and it's only 80 more pixels. Who would have thought?

Quote:

I had problems with entering roaming areas where the device won't switch back (same with Treo) but for the most part Q= very stable.

Roaming is an issue for me, especially when I go to my trailer in the mountains. I need cell service to easily roam from Sprint to Verizon (the WX does it well for me) when I need it to.

Quote:

Like I said, they have more in common than differences but the Treo is a very solid, svelt beast of a device. The Q is a small, lite but fully capable smartphone. The battery life cannot compare to even the defualt Treo battery but on a whole, with some tweaks it's not bad.

I think overall I would notice those differences and it would annoy me a lot! I would always think, "My Treo could have done it."

Quote:

Also, no Threaded SMS on the Q if that matters.

BIGGGGGGGGG issue for me. I need Threaded chat... had it on my 600, 650, 700p and finally the WX. It's a driving factor for my phone because I do about 3500 texts a month (easily). I wouldn't even consider the 6800 if Dave didn't say the P4000 could handle it.

Quote:

At this point, I really like the Q but love the Treo hence why I'm back to using it again.

Thanks, I think you've obviously done what I've asked for me... and it's obvious the Q (or any smartphone for that matter) just won't cut it for someone who uses PPC (ahem, Professional edition) like we do.

Malatesta 06-01-2007 02:53 PM

lol, glad to help.

Smartphones are definitely fun to play with and are great for a 2nd line but I think for your needs, the Treo is a much better choice. 6800 is nice too if you can adjust to that form factor (I might give it another shot, but I'm pretty sold on the front KB of Treo-like devices, hence why I was partial to the Q)

Scooter_in_WI 06-02-2007 08:24 AM

It all comes down to what you need more: A PDA or a phone. The BIG difference that I found (and the reason I'd pick my Q over the wx):

Palm: Makes great PDAs. Like Mal said, the phone is an afterthought!

Motorola: Makes great phones!

The reason that I pick my Q over the wx ANYDAY is because the Q is hands down a better phone. I needed a phone! The wx was great but with all the little issues that Palm had trying to make this cool PDA into a phone, makes me love my Q even more. I don't miss the wx at all.

budney 06-02-2007 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI
Palm: Makes great PDAs. Like Mal said, the phone is an afterthought!

You may want to reread Mals Post. The phone afterthought was towards the 6700/6800. ;)

The Q is not for a power user. Even I had to get a extended battery for mine, and I consider myself a average user. But with the screen BT/A2DP, size (w/ ext. bat.) and the keyboard being much better then the 700wx IMHO, I had no problem spending the money on the accessories right away. And not to make this one sided the 700wx is a great device. The perfect phone/PDA blend with great battery life. And as stable as it is, it will be my backup untill it stops working. :)

Big D5 06-02-2007 01:47 PM

All the pluses and minuses have been posted so IMHO

Moto Q yawn puts me to sleep

700WX great device up to a point

I had them both but went back to my 6700, I will most likely have a 6800 as soon as they are available