PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > Motorola Q

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 05:16 PM
Lurker

dethl is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible to disable EVDO radio?

I'm getting a Q extremely soon and I'm only keeping a regular Sprint Vision pack on it (EVDO doesn't exist in my area still, and I'm getting $5/month Vision for a year too so I don't want to lose that).

Anyway, is there any way I can disable EVDO on my Q and force it to do straight 1xRTT? Yes I have tried googling but nothing came up.

I'm thinking it can be done similar to the RAZR method but I want to be sure before I go ahead and try it.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Dial ##33284#

Hit Send (green key)

Menu

B (Field Test Menu)

E (HDR Preference)

CDMA Only

I do not know if it survives a soft-rest.
--------------------------------------------------
Side note: your plan does not change based on EvDo availability.

I do not know why you want to do this. Sprint cannot tell if you are on a Vision plan accessing EvDO. I know b/c I had a grandfathered $10 Vision account and used EvDO since the 6700 came out.

It's all data to them. No need to force 1x as you won't be charged any data fees if you use EvDO and there is no need to change your plan.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dethl is a n00b
If I remember right all grandfathered $10 Vision plans get unlimited PV as well (since PV didn't exist back then).

I have a current Vision plan and I think they provision differently. I've heard on other forums that there is the chance of casual EvDO charges and I just don't want to risk it.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethl
If I remember right all grandfathered $10 Vision plans get unlimited PV as well (since PV didn't exist back then).

I have a current Vision plan and I think they provision differently. I've heard on other forums that there is the chance of casual EvDO charges and I just don't want to risk it.
no, not true at all about the provisioning thing. As long as you have some type of "vision" plan, data is data.

The worst that happens: when you do the ESN swap, they tell you that you have to upgrade to a PowerVision package and pay more. You can then fight them on that...

But that is before you even turn the phone on to use it! If you can activate the phone (ESN swap) without being forced over to PV (like happened to me) no you cannot be charged since you never agreed to that and you are paying for an unlimited data plan already--so how can they charge you for data?

Doing this trick won't save you any risk.

Don't forget: Powervision is NOT about EvDO it is about the "services" Sprint then provides with the PowerVision packages like MobitTV, SPrint TV, their Radio, their stupid website, picture mail, etc.

The Q cannot use any of that hence it is not a "true" powervision phone.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dethl is a n00b
I'll give it a try then. I think Verizon has put their EvDO network up in my area (when I look at coverage it says that broadband+VCast is availiable) so I'll data roam and see what happens.

I'm still going to be cautious until I see the first results. Thanks for the information!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > Windows Smartphones > Devices > Motorola Q