PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Photon 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   Maybe Moving from Windows. Would like some real input reivews from users (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=150902)

JohnMcD348 08-24-2012 06:12 PM

Maybe Moving from Windows. Would like some real input reivews from users

I've been a Windows user for many many years. From the old PDA days, up to the current, now discontinued HTC Arrive.

So anyway, since Sprint is no longer selling the Arrive and there's not really a newer WP8 device yet named, I was looking today at the different Droid phones that cold replace it. My wife has the Epic 4G and has really liked it. I've been up for renewal now for more than a year but was waiting for the next WP to come out.

Anyway, she really likes the Epic. I've really liked Windows, but I'm far from a Fanboy about it. I had a few things about the phone I wasn't sure on, I really didn't give it that close of a look.

How is the call quality on the phone?

I don't see or notice any kind of SD/MicroSD slot. IS there one for expandability?

What's the purpose of the dual USB ports?

How are Motorola Smartphones? I used a lot of Motorola phones with NexTel but never one of their Smartphones. I have pretty much been an HTC person from PDAs to cellphones up to this point.

Thanks for the input. It's appreciated.

eric12341 08-24-2012 10:30 PM

Re: Maybe Moving from Windows. Would like some real input reivews from users

I think you should move away from sprint to T-mobile, they will have at least 3 WP8 phones to choose from and will also have unlimited data.

JohnMcD348 08-25-2012 02:22 AM

Well, I get a better deal with Sprint and I've been with them for the better part of 14 or so years including my initial time with NexTel before being moved over. I'm really just interested in the phone , if I do move over to Droid.

BTW, I found the answer to one of my questions about the dual ports on the side. I now know that 1 is an HDMI port.

I think my biggest question is about expansion. I did no see anything in the pics about SD card slots. I think that might be a deal breaker for me. I listen to alot of podcasts and such so I take up a lot of memory on my Arrive. I even upgraded the memory on it with the 32gb card so I would stop running out of room with the 16gb it came with.

THanks

eric12341 08-25-2012 04:19 PM

Well on T-mobile you'll get faster speeds and will be on the more superior GSM technology.

lnando84 08-26-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185327)
Well on T-mobile you'll get faster speeds and will be on the more superior GSM technology.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...im-test-03.gifhttp://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...im-test-03.gifhttp://forum.smartcanucks.ca/members...im-test-03.gif

You just don't get it do ya? I called you out for basically the exact same crap less than 24hrs ago in this thread and here you go again.. Do you read entire posts or just enough that you feel another one of your tmobile/wp plugs is warranted? OP clearly says "I'm really just interested in the phone"..yet you ignore that and "plug" away. How is your post in any way beneficial to this thread and its questions?

Like I said before, IT'S REALLY ANNOYING SEEING YOU POST IT EVERYWHERE(and not really fair to us frequent/dedicated members who have to consistently put up with it)!! Enough is enough..seriously give it a rest!!!

@ Mods: I'm sorry for the off topic but the way he runs(wild) around here with his postings is getting a bit ridiculous(and extremely old)! Maybe shorten/tighten his leash or something(seriously something needs to change)

eric12341 08-26-2012 04:02 PM

Frequent members? This site only averages about 25 members online and only a hand count of new posts.

orangekid 08-26-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185395)
Frequent members? This site only averages about 25 members online and only a hand count of new posts.

That isn't relevant...

He calls you out for your constant plugs and no actual desire to help OP and your response is to bash the site...

That's just puerile.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus on the PPCGeeks App

eric12341 08-26-2012 04:32 PM

I was trying to help, this phone he's trying to get will be useless since it doesn't support LTE and will only run on sprint's slow 3G network if he doesn't have Wi-Max coverage.

orangekid 08-26-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185403)
I was trying to help, this phone he's trying to get will be useless since it doesn't support LTE and will only run on sprint's slow 3G network if he doesn't have Wi-Max coverage.

Now THAT is helpful, you could have just said that initially...

JohnMcD348 08-26-2012 05:50 PM

I thought the newer Photon supported the newer LTE service? I'm almost sure that's what the guy was telling me in the store. I could have been wrong though.

lnando84 08-26-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 (Post 2185407)
I thought the newer Photon supported the newer LTE service? I'm almost sure that's what the guy was telling me in the store. I could have been wrong though.

Yeah don't listen to him.. he thinks he know's everything, calling himself a "guru" and all (we can easily see right through that(bs) LOL!!

Here's a link confirming the Photon Q your talking about is 4G LTE(sprint) capable.. Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE up for pre-order, hitting Sprint August 19th for $200 -- Engadget

eric12341 08-27-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnando84 (Post 2185413)
Yeah don't listen to him.. he thinks he know's everything, calling himself a "guru" and all (we can easily see right through that(bs) LOL!!

Here's a link confirming the Photon Q your talking about is 4G LTE(sprint) capable.. Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE up for pre-order, hitting Sprint August 19th for $200 -- Engadget

Didn't kno there was another photon coming out. I'm probably just as clueless about the happenings in android just as much as you guys are clueless about the happenings in WP which is disappointing because this site used to be pro-MS.

Sonin66 08-27-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185424)
Didn't kno there was another photon coming out. I'm probably just as clueless about the happenings in android just as much as you guys are clueless about the happenings in WP which is disappointing because this site used to be pro-MS.

This site is all about phones period, true it started off mostly for windows but became avail to the mass of all operating systems. people, this is a free forum to help out where you can! help the op and stop the bickering between each other. we are all phone gurus! just a thought

lnando84 08-27-2012 02:15 AM

Quote:

Nothing but excuses..you were proven to be wrong yet feel the need to some how justify it with this crap. You were the one who made the "clueless" statement about the android device(not the other way around)..us "clueless about wp" members aren't making it seem like we know it all!! And for that fact alone.. your "explanatory" post means NOTHING!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonin66 (Post 2185426)
This site is all about phones period, true it started off mostly for windows but became avail to the mass of all operating systems. people, this is a free forum to help out where you can! help the op and stop the bickering between each other. we are all phone gurus! just a thought

In there lies part of the problem.. You guys (Mods/retired mods/what have you) consistently come on here saying "stop the bickering", "take it to PM or the cage"(temporarily sweeping it under the rug). I understand the reasoning but maybe you guys should look at the root of the problem..9 times out of 10 its cause eric is involved(and that # is being generous)!! He shouldn't be allowed to run around here plugging tmobile/wp/ms the way he does(lots of times even when has nothing to do with topic). He acts as if people around here aren't allowed to or are wrong for having their own opinions about wp/ms(and his views are always the right ones). He turns it into android vs wp, sprint vs tmobile, google vs m$) It got old years ago yet he continues!! And whenever anyone calls him out on it(keep in mind there have been countless times we just let them go), you guys say stop the fighting. How is it fair that he can leave those posts in the first place, then when called out on it whoever did the calling out is the "bad guy" for doing so. I don't get it? Somethings gotta give cause it's def not fair!! I personally didn't visit the site as i normally used to (for a few months span earlier this year) just cause of not wanting to deal with his crap!! I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this either!!

Go ahead, ask around here(and other sites) and all you'll find that I'm always trying to help others w/ what I know/can. I'm not leaving these posts to fight with him or anyone. I'm doing so in hopes you guys actually do something about the BS! It saddens me but I've already had thoughts of just saying f it and not returning to the site cross my mind. I personally don't benefit from coming here, I do it for the members I may be able to help(and for a few buddies i've made over the years). I've stuck around in hopes to see the site, I think of as "home base", become what it once was. In my eyes it'll never happen with members like eric running around the entire site(wild) posting whatever he wants..it def doesn't give the site a friendly atmosphere let alone a family friendly one! If the only way to not have to deal with all this crap is by not coming here than please tell me that that's what I need to do!!

orangekid 08-27-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

yeah before Android and iOS came out. Look at market share, why would there be mostly WP content when almost everyone owns an Android device or iOS, and MS just killed off a 2 year old OS for a brand new one, so there goes their WP7 market while they try to build up 8.

Android you can modify, you can have a real development forum for it, you can develop ROMs, kernels, themes, launchers, hacks, tweaks, and much more. iOS you can't really have a forum for. There is NO successful iOS forum, they are ALL ghost towns. Even XDA, probably the most successful phone hacking site in the history of ever, own the iPhone-developers.com site that barely has any traffic. It is closed source and the only thing worth talking about are Cydia tweaks and custom themes which are basically point, download, click.

WM was awesome because we had custom ROMs, themes, engines, versions, bootloaders, ports, etc... even though you had to actually be smart to fully utilize all WM had to offer.

WP7 killed all "real" development. Completely closed ecosystem, everything encrypted, even with HSPL no Android ports, no themes, no real changes and no real ROMs (other than the HD2). Even the WP7 forums on XDA were not half as popular as the Android ones, just a bunch of people too lazy to search asking the same questions about the same bugs.

so MS kills WP7 and enter WP8, which is not even out yet btw, and it's just as closed as WP7 and iOS, built on a different kernel than WP7, so now we need all new apps and SDKs and all that, they need to try to repopulate their app store which was already lacking compared with Android and iOS and compete with iOS6, JellyBean and KLP, BB10 (which IMO is going to fail utterly), and now that the Android experience is finally on par with Metro for smoothness (anyone who has used JellyBean on a Galaxy Nexus knows what I'm talking about,) with Project Butter MS can't even pull that "yeah well Metro is smoother than Android" card.

Eric, your blink zealotry to MS is what prevents you from actually prevents anyone from trying it out. WP7 and WP8 do have some pros and I am looking forward to trying out WP8, I will probably own a WP8 device because I am a tech junkie, just like I will own an iPhone 5 and the next Nexus line of Android phones. But constantly bashing the site and the staff and other members for just not agreeing with you will not get you any new followers of the WP8 fan club, it will actually detract people because they are going to think you guys are as bad as those iOS freaks who don't really know anything but what Apple says is scripture...

NinjaMom 08-27-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnando84 (Post 2185428)
Nothing but excuses..you were proven to be wrong yet feel the need to some how justify it with this crap. You were the one who made the "clueless" statement about the android device(not the other way around)..us "clueless about wp" members aren't making it seem like we know it all!! And for that fact alone.. your "explanatory" post means NOTHING!!

In there lies part of the problem.. You guys (Mods/retired mods/what have you) consistently come on here saying "stop the bickering", "take it to PM or the cage"(temporarily sweeping it under the rug). I understand the reasoning but maybe you guys should look at the root of the problem..9 times out of 10 its cause eric is involved(and that # is being generous)!! He shouldn't be allowed to run around here plugging tmobile/wp/ms the way he does(lots of times even when has nothing to do with topic). He acts as if people around here aren't allowed to or are wrong for having their own opinions about wp/ms(and his views are always the right ones). He turns it into android vs wp, sprint vs tmobile, google vs m$) It got old years ago yet he continues!! And whenever anyone calls him out on it(keep in mind there have been countless times we just let them go), you guys say stop the fighting. How is it fair that he can leave those posts in the first place, then when called out on it whoever did the calling out is the "bad guy" for doing so. I don't get it? Somethings gotta give cause it's def not fair!! I personally didn't visit the site as i normally used to (for a few months span earlier this year) just cause of not wanting to deal with his crap!! I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this either!!

Go ahead, ask around here(and other sites) and all you'll find that I'm always trying to help others w/ what I know/can. I'm not leaving these posts to fight with him or anyone. I'm doing so in hopes you guys actually do something about the BS! It saddens me but I've already had thoughts of just saying f it and not returning to the site cross my mind. I personally don't benefit from coming here, I do it for the members I may be able to help(and for a few buddies i've made over the years). I've stuck around in hopes to see the site, I think of as "home base", become what it once was. In my eyes it'll never happen with members like eric running around the entire site(wild) posting whatever he wants..it def doesn't give the site a friendly atmosphere let alone a family friendly one! If the only way to not have to deal with all this crap is by not coming here than please tell me that that's what I need to do!!

You have to look at what is being said when Eric is called out. 9 times out of 10 it is a personal attack which is against site rules.

eric12341 08-27-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2185451)
yeah before Android and iOS came out. Look at market share, why would there be mostly WP content when almost everyone owns an Android device or iOS, and MS just killed off a 2 year old OS for a brand new one, so there goes their WP7 market while they try to build up 8.

Android you can modify, you can have a real development forum for it, you can develop ROMs, kernels, themes, launchers, hacks, tweaks, and much more. iOS you can't really have a forum for. There is NO successful iOS forum, they are ALL ghost towns. Even XDA, probably the most successful phone hacking site in the history of ever, own the iPhone-developers.com site that barely has any traffic. It is closed source and the only thing worth talking about are Cydia tweaks and custom themes which are basically point, download, click.

WM was awesome because we had custom ROMs, themes, engines, versions, bootloaders, ports, etc... even though you had to actually be smart to fully utilize all WM had to offer.

WP7 killed all "real" development. Completely closed ecosystem, everything encrypted, even with HSPL no Android ports, no themes, no real changes and no real ROMs (other than the HD2). Even the WP7 forums on XDA were not half as popular as the Android ones, just a bunch of people too lazy to search asking the same questions about the same bugs.

so MS kills WP7 and enter WP8, which is not even out yet btw, and it's just as closed as WP7 and iOS, built on a different kernel than WP7, so now we need all new apps and SDKs and all that, they need to try to repopulate their app store which was already lacking compared with Android and iOS and compete with iOS6, JellyBean and KLP, BB10 (which IMO is going to fail utterly), and now that the Android experience is finally on par with Metro for smoothness (anyone who has used JellyBean on a Galaxy Nexus knows what I'm talking about,) with Project Butter MS can't even pull that "yeah well Metro is smoother than Android" card.

Eric, your blink zealotry to MS is what prevents you from actually prevents anyone from trying it out. WP7 and WP8 do have some pros and I am looking forward to trying out WP8, I will probably own a WP8 device because I am a tech junkie, just like I will own an iPhone 5 and the next Nexus line of Android phones. But constantly bashing the site and the staff and other members for just not agreeing with you will not get you any new followers of the WP8 fan club, it will actually detract people because they are going to think you guys are as bad as those iOS freaks who don't really know anything but what Apple says is scripture...

Actually that is incorrect, WP7 apps will work fine on WP8 so there will be 100,000+ apps available at launch. I don't think ICS or JB would run well on an HTC hero.

austin420 08-27-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185403)

Any windows 7.x will be useless, seeing as how wp8 is just around the corner.

Sent from my SPH-D710 on the PPCGeeks App

austin420 08-27-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2185396)
That isn't relevant...

He calls you out for your constant plugs and no actual desire to help OP and your response is to bash the site...

That's just puerile.

You should see what he posts about this site on other sites. He constantly bashes us on wpcentral.

edit:
here is a good one here...
http://forums.wpcentral.com/arrive-h...o/177455-3.htm

he blatantly does on other sites what i got banned from this site for. word for word if anyone recalls correctly.
also, look towards the bottom of the thread where he brags on getting banned from here.
he is a troll in the truest sense of the word. ive been trying to get this info out here for a long time, but no one listens, because apparently every one besides eric is a trouble maker or "neer-do-well".

orangekid 08-27-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric12341 (Post 2185470)
Actually that is incorrect, WP7 apps will work fine on WP8 so there will be 100,000+ apps available at launch. I don't think ICS or JB would run well on an HTC hero.

The Hero came out 3 years ago and the only reason JB wouldn't run as well is because the hardware is too old, that's a really stupid analogy considering the first WP7 device shipped with a snapdragon.

What's funny is JellyBean actually works with only a few issues on the Hero

[ROM] ELIGOROM 3.0.0p1, now with more jellybean! cam works 8/26/2012 - xda-developers

so the device is STILL relevant 3 years later. Same with the iPhone 3GS, it is still getting updated and you can port Siri etc...

You can try to spin it any way you want, but at the end of the day everyone can see you just flat out refuse to see any faults and have the worst case of tunnel vision ever. Even when NO ONE brings up Android you just randomly bash it, it's the weirdest thing, it's like you get paid by MS or something.

How they let you moderate a site with that type of condescending and closed-minded attitude is just beyond me.

rrjskj 08-27-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2185480)
The Hero came out 3 years ago and the only reason JB wouldn't run as well is because the hardware is too old, that's a really stupid analogy considering the first WP7 device shipped with a snapdragon.

[ROM] ELIGOROM 3.0.0p1, now with more jellybean! cam works 8/26/2012 - xda-developers

so the device is STILL relevant 3 years later. Same with the iPhone 3GS, it is still getting updated and you can port Siri etc...

You can try to spin it any way you want, but at the end of the day everyone can see you just flat out refuse to see any faults and have the worst case of tunnel vision ever. Even when NO ONE brings up Android you just randomly bash it, it's the weirdest thing, it's like you get paid by MS or something.

How they let you moderate a site with that type of condescending and closed-minded attitude is just beyond me.

Lol I said that once b4 and it was over looked glad folks are just now waking up to it ..

Sent from my PG86100 using tapatalk 2

NinjaMom 08-27-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

He moderates at WPcentral.... :rolleyes:

JohnMcD348 08-27-2012 07:09 PM

gee folks. Sorry I asked.

You guys used to be very helpful with plenty of insight and assistance when I needed it.

Mods, If you would just close this thread or even delete it. My feeling won't be hurt. There's really nothing of any benefit here.

Thanks Inando84 for that link to Endgaget. I did not realize that the Photo 4G was only just released. Had I known it was that new on the market, I wouldn't have been asking for user reviews and input. It obviously hasn't been out long enough to really get used. My fault. I just didn't know.

rrjskj 08-27-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 (Post 2185496)

You guys used to be very helpful with plenty of insight and assistance when I needed it.

Mods, If you would just close this thread or even delete it. My feeling won't be hurt. There's really nothing of any benefit here.

Well if u really want insight hit up phonescoop and do a side by side comparison of phones u might be interested in I do it all the time..

Sent from my PG86100 using tapatalk 2

eric12341 08-27-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2185474)
You should see what he posts about this site on other sites. He constantly bashes us on wpcentral.

edit:
here is a good one here...
Switching from Android to Win7 - Page 3 - Windows Phone Forums at wpcentral.com

he blatantly does on other sites what i got banned from this site for. word for word if anyone recalls correctly.
also, look towards the bottom of the thread where he brags on getting banned from here.
he is a troll in the truest sense of the word. ive been trying to get this info out here for a long time, but no one listens, because apparently every one besides eric is a trouble maker or "neer-do-well".

Those posts on WPCentral are over a year old.
Quote:

It's not an official JB or ICS though. My attitude is nowhere near condescending or closed-minded,look at the first WP7 threads and then tell me what closed-minded is.

orangekid 08-27-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 (Post 2185496)

Thanks Inando84 for that link to Endgaget. I did not realize that the Photo 4G was only just released. Had I known it was that new on the market, I wouldn't have been asking for user reviews and input. It obviously hasn't been out long enough to really get used. My fault. I just didn't know.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, you didn't deserve that, you witnessed part of frustrations by some that had nothing to do with this.

The flame and off topic comments should have been moderated probably and I didn't help your cause.

Again, sorry for the derailment.

@ Eric , I've said what I thought, at the end of the day it's up to you to decide how you want to conduct yourself in life . I have nothing against you and I think your WP knowledge is useful and helpful at times.

But you like to stir shit up and cause drama and that just gets old

eric12341 08-27-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 2185506)
Sorry for hijacking your thread, you didn't deserve that, you witnessed part of frustrations by some that had nothing to do with this.

The flame and off topic comments should have been moderated probably and I didn't help your cause.

Again, sorry for the derailment.

@ Eric , I've said what I thought, at the end of the day it's up to you to decide how you want to conduct yourself in life . I have nothing against you and I think your WP knowledge is useful and helpful at times.

But you like to stir shit up and cause drama and that just gets old

I have nothing against you pr anyone else personally either. I don't try to stir up anything, it's just that my posts do get misinterpreted alot due to past wounds that still have yet to heal it seems.

JohnMcD348 08-27-2012 10:13 PM

Thanks O.k. I get that sometimes but what this thread has basically turned into is a

Fan Boys gone Apesh!t thread.

I've been, what's considered, a loyal Windows follower from the days of WinCE just a couple years or so prior to WinMo2003. Probably close to 12 years. But I also get that other OS's have benefits and weaknesses. Much the same as people who think their Cell Phone provider is better than anything else and everyone elses, just plain Suck. I, myself, have never really felt that strongly about these material things. I simply go with what serves my purposes.

Just like people who drive Fords, think Chevy is the worst POS on the planet. I drive a Dodge. Not because I don't like Ford or Chevy Su@k, but, because when the time came for me to get a new vehicle, I wanted a 4x4 truck. Ford and Chevy had 4 door trucks but Dodge had a MegaCab 4door that had more space than many full size cars(You can even recline the rear seats) That fit my needs where the others did not. So, that's what I drive. The same thing drives my thoughts when looking for the next item to suit my needs. What does it better? It has nothing to do with what's the latest and greatest. I have a set of specifications I want and I look for the item that fills it closest or best.