PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Photon 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=392)
-   -   8.92 GB Internal memory? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146795)

WannaUpgrade 09-01-2011 04:47 PM

8.92 GB Internal memory?

Hello everyone,
I just got the Photon last night. I just moved on from my Evo 4G. It's a completely different experience in the UI. Cant wait to root and change out he ROM.

Here is my problem. I go to check the system and It shows Internal storage "Total space 8.92 GB" "Available space 8.63". It's supposed to have 16 GB of internal memory. I understand that some of the OS and other bloatware is going to take up some of the Internal memory, but Almost half? 8GB? that seems a bit extreme. Is this normal or do I have a defective phone?

Thanks

dfve 09-01-2011 05:08 PM

Re: 8.92 GB Internal memory?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaUpgrade (Post 2142124)
Hello everyone,
I just got the Photon last night. I just moved on from my Evo 4G. It's a completely different experience in the UI. Cant wait to root and change out he ROM.

Here is my problem. I go to check the system and It shows Internal storage "Total space 8.92 GB" "Available space 8.92". It's supposed to have 16 GB of internal memory. I understand that some of the OS and other bloatware is going to take up some of the Internal memory, but Almost half? 8GB? that seems a bit extreme. Is this normal or do I have a defective phone?

Thanks

fair question....comming from evo....tp2...palm pre (2 months) ....og touch pro...in all this phone rocks, buggs.. they will be lurking, but devs will fix'em....this phone kiks my e4g's tukis, and i loved that phone....

WannaUpgrade 09-01-2011 05:25 PM

So everyone is seeing that? Is it just my phone? Is somehting wrong with the internal memory on my phone?

dfve 09-01-2011 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaUpgrade (Post 2142132)
So everyone is seeing that? Is it just my phone? Is somehting wrong with the internal memory on my phone?

was this memory from the rollin 60's chip-set, that could be the problem haha

treotraveler 09-01-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaUpgrade (Post 2142124)
Hello everyone,

Here is my problem. I go to check the system and It shows Internal storage "Total space 8.92 GB" "Available space 8.63". It's supposed to have 16 GB of internal memory. I understand that some of the OS and other bloatware is going to take up some of the Internal memory, but Almost half? 8GB? that seems a bit extreme. Is this normal or do I have a defective phone?

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with your MoPho. The internal memory is partioned, and the user does not have full access to all of it.

The user has access to 8.91 gigs for storage of music, photos, videos, app cache and other non app downloads.

2.8 gigs is used for app storage.

A portion goes for formatting. Similar to formatting a 16 gig storage card. The user does not have all of the 16 gigs available after formatting a 16 gig card.

The rest is used for the OS, internal cache and security......

darren.wlsn1 09-01-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treotraveler (Post 2142147)
There is nothing wrong with your MoPho. The internal memory is partioned, and the user does not have full access to all of it.

The user has access to 8.91 gigs for storage of music, photos, videos, app cache and other non app downloads.

2.8 gigs is used for app storage.

A portion goes for formatting. Similar to formatting a 16 gig storage card. The user does not have all of the 16 gigs available after formatting a 16 gig card.

The rest is used for the OS, internal cache and security......

thanx for answering question unlike the others.

mebo73 09-01-2011 08:38 PM

Total thanks!!!

WannaUpgrade 09-02-2011 02:51 PM

Thanks for the clear answer. That does seem like quit a bit to loose though. Almost 8 GB? what about the phones that only have 1 GB of internal memory? They obviously don't loose anywhere near that.

treotraveler 09-02-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaUpgrade (Post 2142351)
Thanks for the clear answer. That does seem like quit a bit to loose though. Almost 8 GB? what about the phones that only have 1 GB of internal memory? They obviously don't loose anywhere near that.

You aren't losing anything. You actually have a phone with a lot more memory. For example, rounded up, 9 gigs plus 3 gigs equal 12 gigs available to the user.

You mention other phones with 1 gig of memory. They have to share that 1 gig with the OS, app storage and RAM. Not mention the app caches, and clipboard.

I'll take a phone any day that has almost 3 gigs of internal app storage....

Scenemaker 09-26-2011 10:25 AM

Don't forget about webtop. That is most certainly taking up some room. I have not looked at the partition table yet, but I'm sure that consumes a good deal of space.