PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Photon 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Vapeguy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will MoPho be as supported as HTC??

So far the Photon sounds like it's awesome and I'm eyeing it up as my next phone. But will it get the same love and support from the community as HTC? I currently have an HTC TP2 and there are many mods and ROMs available for it, there has always been a lot of support and lots of chatter in the forums about it.

Since seeing it I have been checking on the Photon and Atrix forums and they just don't seem to have the same sort of buzz.

What do you guys think? I'd hate to spend the next 2 years stuck with a stockish phone.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Will MoPho be as supported as HTC??

i'd bet on No. Probably a handful of roms, but nothing near as many as the 3D. The EVO 3D has had root for like a month now and its got MORE than 25 different ROMs available.

I remember after root was released, there were like 10 ROMs in 48 hours... unreal!

I picked up the Photon yesterday and so far its pretty cool. I'll probably miss my 3D, but this way i can step back from my flashaholic ways and utilize my phone for what it does in my daily life rather than doing "break-thru" testing all the time lol

both phones have their advantages, but devs seem to have a grip on HTC's hardware and software. The Tegra 2 is fairly new, but has great potential.

if you're a rom junky, go with the 3D, if you're a game junky go with the Photon (tho the 3D does games fairly well with the Adreno GPU)

also, the pentile display with all the pixels doesn't bother me like it does others... really, it feels like a step between the Evo 3D screen and the S-Amoled on samsung phones. You get the LED-like pixels and the color is sharper than the 3D's SLCD

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

and i love the fact we can call this phone a nice mopho
Old 08-19-2011, 08:14 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

i got one and xda is place for support/cooks, 4 YA JUGGS and CAULKULIN are there full time but im not to happy i lost 4g by unlocking but still a great phone and 4g issue will be resolved when source is out.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
i got one and xda is place for support/cooks, 4 YA JUGGS and CAULKULIN are there full time but im not to happy i lost 4g by unlocking but still a great phone and 4g issue will be resolved when source is out.
I am very excited about those 2 devs for sure! I remember not having 4G on CM6/7 on the OG Evo and it is def something i can do without for a lil while.. i'll probably be rooting this weekend, but i'm kinda holding off until there is a stable debloated all-working rom out (like ViperRom for the 3D)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM
acs tester

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
I am very excited about those 2 devs for sure! I remember not having 4G on CM6/7 on the OG Evo and it is def something i can do without for a lil while.. i'll probably be rooting this weekend, but i'm kinda holding off until there is a stable debloated all-working rom out (like ViperRom for the 3D)
alien is pretty sweet and the theme looks/works well.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

Vapeguy is a n00b

Thanks all!

I'm not a ROM junkie but once I get sick of the stock ware I want to have some options. I just need a phone with good call quality that's going to be quick and not freeze all the time like my TP2.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapeguy View Post
Thanks all!

I'm not a ROM junkie but once I get sick of the stock ware I want to have some options. I just need a phone with good call quality that's going to be quick and not freeze all the time like my TP2.
Either phone will be just fine... plus, if you are using an upgrade, you can exchange within 30 days. But, if its options you want, the 3D will tickle your taste buds
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
acs tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by syanni85 View Post
Either phone will be just fine... plus, if you are using an upgrade, you can exchange within 30 days. But, if its options you want, the 3D will tickle your taste buds
3d was kinda junk imo but ota just sent out seems to have fixed lots of issues but photon is a better device imo and i had both.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 View Post
3d was kinda junk imo but ota just sent out seems to have fixed lots of issues but photon is a better device imo and i had both.
I liked my 3D alot, incredibly stable and excellent build quality, not to mention batt-life was primo. but i just wanted to go with the tegra on a phone to try it out (last tegra i had was on the viewsonic G-Tablet). Just had the photon for over 24hrs... no complaints yet, but still too soon to judge

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Photon 4G