PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Moto Droid Tips and Tricks - Ask Questions Here (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=97121)

arelas 11-17-2009 04:44 PM

Moto Droid Tips and Tricks - Ask Questions Here

I'm creating this to list the few tips and tricks we know for this phone.

Soft Reboot:
Shift-Left Alt-Del....yes, it's that simple. Slide out the keyboard and hold down Shift (Key with arrow pointing at line), Left Alt, and Del (Backspace). The phone should now restart.

Recovery Menu:
With phone powered off, press X and Power. Wait until you see the screen light up, then press and hold Vol Up and Camera until the bootloader appears. You can load updates and hard reset from here.

Bootloader:
With phone powered off, press Up Arrow and Power.

Dial Pad Codes:
Open the phone dial pad. Dial *#*#INFO#*#*
This gives a lot of interesting stats and details.

Also, ##PROGRAM shows some cool stuff too.
Thanks, Nickels, for that info.

Improve the feel of the slider:
There is a sticker looking thing on the backside of the screen...remove it. It's similar to the other protective wrap that came on the phone. The slider will feel better now.

Note: Some have said this makes the slider open in their pockets easier.

Media Dock / Car Dock Mode:
Want to access the Media or Car modes easily? It's done by presenting the back of the phone with a magnet. The polarity of the magnet determines the mode.

Wallpaper:
Resolution is 960x854. This accounts for the panoramic effect. To set a wallpaper, press menu while on the home screen, then choose wallpaper. From there you can set the wallpaper. You choices are limited here as you can only pick from the gallery and your photos. I use OI File Manager to browser to the image I want to use, and then press and hold for menu. Then choose wallpaper. When selecting wallpaper, you will notice it wants to crop the image. You can drag this box out to fill the whole image rather than cropping. If you used 960x854, the image will display perfectly.

Hide folders from media players:
Tired of ringtones showing up in your music? Do cached images always show up in the gallery? The fix is to create a blank file called .nomedia and place it in any folder you don't want indexed. Thanks go to parkjam for this one!

That's all the interesting things I have for now. Let the games begin.

arelas 11-17-2009 04:45 PM

Re: Moto Droid Tips and Tricks

Reserved - Check out my Droid now!
http://arelas.com/files/images/mydroid1.jpg

realmeister 11-17-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelas (Post 1337837)

Improve the feel of the slider:
There is a sticker looking thing on the backside of the screen...remove it. It's similar to the other protective wrap that came on the phone. The slider will feel better now.

](*,)

Duh, I can't believe that... Well, actually I can. I've been known for not noticing protectors on various gadgets before!

mshefke 11-17-2009 07:08 PM

To set custom notifications and ringtones using mp3 and wave files you download, create the following directory structure on your memory card

/sdcard/media/audio/alarms
/sdcard/media/audio/notifications
/sdcard/media/audio/ringtones

Make sure that you create them all with lower case letters since this is Linux based and is case sensitive.

arelas 11-18-2009 11:02 AM

Cool. Lets keep them coming guys!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mshefke (Post 1338229)
To set custom notifications and ringtones using mp3 and wave files you download, create the following directory structure on your memory card

Make sure that you create them all with lower case letters since this is Linux based and is case sensitive.

gardobus 11-18-2009 11:32 AM

Even easier ways to get to the two docks:

For the Car dock, run the app "Car Home" that comes with the phone.
For the Media Dock mode, download the free app "Dockrunner" from the market and run it. To get out of Media Dock, hold down home and run Dockrunner again.

arelas 11-20-2009 10:38 AM

Re: Moto Droid Tips and Tricks - Ask Questions Here

Are any of the home screen replacements working on Android 2 yet? I installed GDE but ti made my phone unstable and I eventually had to hard reset to get things back to normal.

dB Zac 11-22-2009 07:19 PM

open home works fine for me. I did have some issues but it was an app I installed after open home. I removed it and open home is fine again

techguru 11-23-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelas (Post 1346815)
Are any of the home screen replacements working on Android 2 yet? I installed GDE but ti made my phone unstable and I eventually had to hard reset to get things back to normal.

When did you try GDE? There was an update last week that helped stability very much. Once in a great while (every few days, usually when I am trying to do a bunch of things really quickly) I get a force stop, but it comes right back up.

Alan

Nickles 11-25-2009 09:26 PM

open the phone dialpad .. dial *#*#INFO#*#*
gives lot of interesting stats and details.

also ##PROGRAM shows some cool stuff too.

bewza 11-28-2009 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickles (Post 1362924)

Does it contain "prl upload" sub-menu?

arelas 11-28-2009 01:01 PM

I've found so far that Open Home isn't playing very well with the clock and weather widgets. Both Beautiful Widgets and Weather Widget Donate both seem to make it want to force close often, even when it's just running in the background. Techguru, I switched back to GDE and got things set up like I want them and it's running well now. I guess I gave up on it too soon. I switched the transitions to normal because rotate is still a little choppy and fade causes graphical glitches from time to time, especially in landscape mode. It's now actually smoother than stock 2.0.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dB Zac (Post 1352616)
open home works fine for me. I did have some issues but it was an app I installed after open home. I removed it and open home is fine again

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguru (Post 1356253)
When did you try GDE? There was an update last week that helped stability very much. Once in a great while (every few days, usually when I am trying to do a bunch of things really quickly) I get a force stop, but it comes right back up.

Alan

arelas 11-28-2009 01:02 PM

If you don't mind, I'm going to add this to the top post.

Quote:

iamrobk 11-28-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Odd that it says "GSM Service: In service" and "GPRS service: connected" right on top of "Network type: CDMA - EvDo rev. A" haha

stroudie88 12-02-2009 05:46 AM

Do the alternative home apps give you more than 3 home pages?

blazingwolf 12-02-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stroudie88 (Post 1379223)
Do the alternative home apps give you more than 3 home pages?

Yes. Some only do 4 screens while others do up to 7.

Nickles 12-03-2009 01:19 AM

Severely missing the scroll wheel of my old Titan, i am now pleased as punch to learn that (while using the Dolphin Browser), the volume rocker can be used to scroll up and down !!!

thirsch2 12-03-2009 04:29 AM

Quote:

Wait how do i set this up? through the sd card or phone, and when clickin on sd card do i create an sd folder and then just the subfolders within? thanks for help in advnce

arelas 12-03-2009 11:05 AM

It would be easier to do it from the computer and mount the SD card as a drive. You could also use ASTRO or OI File Manager to make the folders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirsch2 (Post 1382214)
Wait how do i set this up? through the sd card or phone, and when clickin on sd card do i create an sd folder and then just the subfolders within? thanks for help in advnce

Sarge, USMC 12-03-2009 11:08 PM

ask questions.....ok.

I put my photos on the SD card.......when I go to the gallery it shows me 2 folders with the same pictures. One has a plain file folder in the bottom right corner of the icon and the other has a file fiolder with a circle on it. Anyone know what this is all about?

Also....##PROGRAM is ##7764726 and when I try to dial it it asks for an SPC password.
the other one is *#*#4636#*#*.....that one works.

Retired Marine 12-06-2009 10:13 PM

I used 000000 for the SPC password with success here. Interesting stuff in there!

Retired Marine 12-07-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelas (Post 1337837)
Soft Reboot:
Shiftl-Alt-Del....yes, it's that simple. Slide out the keyboard and hold down Shift (Key with arrow pointing at line), Alt, and Del (Backspace). The phone should now restart.

I just tried this and found that the right Alt key won't do it, but using the left Alt key works. Can't tell if I did something different try the right Alt key, but I couldn't get it to work in any sequence using the key, and using the left Alt key worked first try.

arelas 12-07-2009 09:41 AM

Yeah...I figured that out too. Apparently the correct key combo is:

Shift + Left Alt + Del

I'll update the first post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retired Marine (Post 1392861)
I just tried this and found that the right Alt key won't do it, but using the left Alt key works. Can't tell if I did something different try the right Alt key, but I couldn't get it to work in any sequence using the key, and using the left Alt key worked first try.

jester2043 12-09-2009 09:30 AM

I searched as best I could so I apologize if the answer is around here somewhere, but how do you get your unread email and SMS count to show up on the actual icon? When I get emails/sms it only shows up in the toolbar. I searched the market and didn’t find anything that anyone said worked properly. The only suggestion that I saw was to use the “mail” icon instead. I set that up but still didn’t have a count appearing. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

Please Help! And thank you in advance!

banden 12-09-2009 11:52 AM

Jester,

I don't think that functionality is available yet. It would really need to be done through a widget methinks.

arelas 12-09-2009 04:33 PM

I agree...It's a job for a widget.

I use Handcent SMS for text messages. It comes with a 1x1 widget that does this. Hopefully as these devices get more popular, we'll see more stuff like this.

mickeyx323 12-09-2009 05:27 PM

Is there anyway to sticky this post? Its one of the most informative post and probably one that most people will refer to.

naskarl 12-09-2009 07:18 PM

Is there a free wireless hotspot creating tool or only pdanet?

naskarl 12-09-2009 07:22 PM

Any word on when/if it will get Slingbox?

jester2043 12-10-2009 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arelas (Post 1399795)
I agree...It's a job for a widget.

I use Handcent SMS for text messages. It comes with a 1x1 widget that does this. Hopefully as these devices get more popular, we'll see more stuff like this.

Thank you. I will give it a try. Also if you use Gmail have you noticed that sometimes it will push out right away and other times it will take awhile to get?

JonV 12-10-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naskarl (Post 1400177)
Any word on when/if it will get Slingbox?

No but I'm also anxiously awaiting. Actually I use mobile sling more in the summertime so I'm not dying without it but I like it anytime just for programming my DVR remotely. I've gone to their site and written the perfunctory letter requesting it and gotten the perfunctory reply that they are always looking to support popular devices. A few people have discussed it on their forum also but I sure haven't heard anything beyond that.

Hoping that the quick 1,000,000 units sold helps prod development. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt for more folk to use the Contact link at slingmedia.com to let them know there's a market waiting on them.

SlingPlayer and C-Api's XM app are the only things I am missing from my WinMo device.

techchallenged 12-10-2009 01:04 PM

Saving current location on Google Maps

Does anyone know if I can save my current location on the map? All I want to do is save my existing location (somehow) on the GPS map (like you would with a regular GPS device). Tried everything but as my name implies, I am technically challenged. LOL.

arelas 12-10-2009 03:53 PM

Not yet, but soon. Now that we have root, a custom kernel can be compiled to add iptables support. Once we have this, one of the existing apps for the G1 can be ported and we'll have internet sharing via wireless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by naskarl (Post 1400169)
Is there a free wireless hotspot creating tool or only pdanet?

jrodizzkool01 12-10-2009 09:37 PM

how would i do a screenshot on the droid? i cant seem to find an application that will allow me to do one

jester2043 12-10-2009 10:29 PM

+1 for the screenshot app, and +1 for making this a sticky

z0mbiexx 12-10-2009 10:56 PM

last i read you need root for the screenshot apps on the market to work.. or a home replacement that has it built in.

nerdherd 12-11-2009 12:20 AM

The only way you can do a screenshot (for now) is to download the Android SDK and use one of the tools called DDMS. Read about it here: http://developer.android.com/guide/d...ools/ddms.html
I'm anxiously awaiting a root that is fully functional so we can actually take screenshots right on the phone (not to mentioned WiFi internet sharing...)

blazingwolf 12-11-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 1404277)
I'm anxiously awaiting a root that is fully functional so we can actually take screenshots right on the phone (not to mentioned WiFi internet sharing...)

From what I have read you already can assuming you have rooted your phone of course.

arelas 12-11-2009 10:09 AM

Yes I have. I have noticed the same thing with my exchange connection. I haven't nailed down the cause for this yet but it seems to happen when the phone hasn't been rebooted in a while and lots of programs are open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester2043 (Post 1401784)
Thank you. I will give it a try. Also if you use Gmail have you noticed that sometimes it will push out right away and other times it will take awhile to get?

JDown24 12-14-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

This worked great for sorting my music files and ring-tones to display in the proper settings for "ring tones, alarms, etc.." However, is there a way to do this for wallpapers also? Its getting a little annoying having to scroll through 200+ pics to chose from 20 or so wallpapers i have downloaded.