PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Verizon may charge extra for Exchange access w/Droid

Just another way to hit people in the pocketbook... Ridiculous. I don't understand how they feel this is legitimate. It's not the same as a BB user on a corporate network.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...roid-exchange/

Verizon Wireless loves to nickel and dime its customers and the upcoming Motorola Droid presents new opportunities.

Droid supports Microsoft Exchange’s ActiveSync feature that lets users access e-mail, calendar and contacts from their corporate servers running Exchange. But they could end up paying extra for the privilege, says InfoWorld.

Droid users could pay at least an additional $15 to $20 a month on top of their data plan for Exchange access. That means $45 to $50 a month including Exchange support instead of $30 a month for a data-only plan. Droid will be exclusively available on the Verizon network for $200 with a two-year contract. The higher rate, though, will only apply for customers on a corporate or business account.

“Most customers will pay $30 for the data plan that gets them internet access and push e-mail,” Brenda Raney, a spokesperson for Verizon Wireless told Wired.com. “Customers who use an enterprise server are, in general, business customers and an IT department is facilitating the access. [Those] are the ones who need the $50 plan.

In some cases, Droid users who get the $30 data plan could still access Exchange, says Raney. But that will be a decision for their companies to make. “Many companies required a corporate-approved device for it to access Exchange,” she says. “In those cases, Droid users will have to get a business account with Verizon.”

The policy is not just for the Droid. It applies to all Verizon smartphones, including the BlackBerry, that want to get corporate e-mail, says Verizon. But that may not be telling the whole story. BlackBerry users pay additional fees because the phones connect with a company’s BlackBerry Enterprise Systems and not the consumer-focused BlackBerry Internet System, points out Mashable. And that involves additional licensing fees.

The Droid, though, runs the open source Android 2.0 platform with ActiveSync support already built in. That means users shouldn’t have to pay extra fees for their device to connect with their corporate servers.
It also defeats some of the good intentions behind Android. Wasn’t Android expected to help bring in cost savings for carriers and consumers?
Updated 11/04 to include comments from Verizon
Old 11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Serving the Metro DC Area
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt,9530 (Blackberry)
Carrier: Verizon, Sprint

Adrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPAdrianh85 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via Yahoo to Adrianh85 Send a message via Skype™ to Adrianh85
Re: Verizon may charge extra for Exchange access w/Droid

sounds far to me!! im a personal user so i pay the low price

Old 11-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

SolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuffSolApathy knows their stuff

I'm a personal user & use Exchange server. So I don't feel it would be very fair
Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: VZW

nemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regularnemanracing is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to nemanracing

It has always been like this... Well since they added the cheaper 30 dollar plan... I remeber when everyone paid 45... They charge 30 for personal and 45 if you sync with an exchange server be it BES or Microsoft Exchange... Nothing new here... BTW I sync with MS Exchange on my TP2 and only pay for the personal data plan($29.99)...
History:XV6850 WM6.5,PPC6850 WM6.5 on VZW,XV6850 WM6.1/Telus Radio,VZW Omnia,XV6900 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6800 WM6.1/GPS/RevA,XV6700 WM6,Samsung i760,Moto Q9m,Moto Q,XV6700,VZW Treo 700WX,Treo 700W,Samsung i730,XV6600,Treo 650,Treo 600,Kyocera 7135
Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

This is the may it is with BB and WinMo. Article was written by someone uninformed of the current pricing model that's been out of a long time.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: VZdub

psooky is just getting started

Ever since they introduced the $30 Email/Web plan, the extra $15 has been for BB users who need to connect to a BES, and for people who want to use Verizon's OTA sync.

Simply put, the extra $15 is to use verizons software and servers to sync to your computer which would then sync to exchange. WinMo phones and now Android phones that already have the ability to sync with Exchange servers do not need this.

Hello World!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

mantispid is a n00b

They only charge the extra MS Exchange access fee to Verizon Wireless Business customers. So, corporate accounts, basically. Your personal Verizon Wireless account is unaffected, and you can use MS Exchange without any extra charge.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid