PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: froyo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ludesit View Post
Yea they didn't speed up the OS, they added just in time compilation, which only effects programs. The OS is already compiled to machine code.

Again the OS isn't any faster, just the programs that will benefit from JIT. These features are nice, but I will wait for a rom where I can retain my root.
Your right. It's the Dalvik VM which is showing the 450% increase which is really the back bone of Android. This equates to a faster OS not just programs. So while the OS might not be quite that high it will still be faster. That has been proven in Linpack scores on the Nexus One.

Pretty good article about that right here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05...ut-450-faster/

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
I wish the OS was 450% faster in 2.2...haha. I got an iPad and I have to admit that Android simply does not compare to the iPhone OS in buttery smoothness, and I wish it did. The iPhone OS has impressed me so far. I'm not saying it's better, they are just different, both with pros and cons. Anyway, if 2.2 could smooth things out a little I would be very happy.
Everything I have been reading says that the Droid will run smoother on 2.2 then it does overclocked to 1GHz.

I won't go in to the iPhone OS as it is not germane to this discussion.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

91ludesit is keeping up the good work91ludesit is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
Your right. It's the Dalvik VM which is showing the 450% increase which is really the back bone of Android. This equates to a faster OS not just programs. So while the OS might not be quite that high it will still be faster. That has been proven in Linpack scores on the Nexus One.

Pretty good article about that right here: http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/05...ut-450-faster/
Hopefully the droid will be able to take advantage of these improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazingwolf View Post
Everything I have been reading says that the Droid will run smoother on 2.2 then it does overclocked to 1GHz.

I won't go in to the iPhone OS as it is not germane to this discussion.
If that is true then overclocking should yield even better results. Sadly JIT can be enabled on 2.1 builds and most people leave it disabled, that may say something about the droid performance with it.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

There was some Linpak scores posted on Droidlife that showed a early port of 2.2 on a Droid giving a 100% increase, I'm sure the official or more refined ports of 2,2 will be even better. That alone is enough for me to want to upgrade to 2.2, plus all the other improvements I mentioned before.

I too will refrain from talking about the iphoney OS, except to say that I hope ALL Apple devices on the planet suddenly experience a catastrophic failure which causes them to teleport to one location and then explode, creating a tear in the fabric of time that sucks in Steve Jobs and transports him to an alternate dimension where he is trapped in a small room for the rest of eternity with wallpaper that looks like this.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Haha, I knew that my mention of the iPhone OS would get some interesting responses In any case, yay for Android!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
there was some linpak scores posted on droidlife that showed a early port of 2.2 on a droid giving a 100% increase, i'm sure the official or more refined ports of 2,2 will be even better. That alone is enough for me to want to upgrade to 2.2, plus all the other improvements i mentioned before.

I too will refrain from talking about the iphoney os, except to say that i hope all apple devices on the planet suddenly experience a catastrophic failure which causes them to teleport to one location and then explode, creating a tear in the fabric of time that sucks in steve jobs and transports him to an alternate dimension where he is trapped in a small room for the rest of eternity with wallpaper that looks like this.
hahahaha!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2

joe50000 is a n00b

The Android market is quickly becoming fractured, which is never a good thing. Part of why WinMo always lagged behind the competition was the huge spread of formats. Windows 7 is only going to make it worse, by leaving an entire population of smart phone users in the past.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

Bunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good workBunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe50000 View Post
The Android market is quickly becoming fractured, which is never a good thing. Part of why WinMo always lagged behind the competition was the huge spread of formats. Windows 7 is only going to make it worse, by leaving an entire population of smart phone users in the past.
A different take on Android Fragmentation.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:05 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

JIT on 2.1 ROMs is not the same as what's coming out on 2.2. JIT is what made cyanogens roms so good on the N1 as he'd optimized it for the Nexus One hardware; however unrooted N1 on 2.2 is averaging double the MFLOPs in Linpack than cyanogen mod was getting which is a pretty strong indication that Google's optimized it much more effectively.

Interestingly with all the iPhone OS talk, I think you should check out this article, it's an excellent read and it details exactly how much JIT can do for Android in the versus battle with iPhone.

Also, I posted a list of some of the changes in Froyo that are 'less' documented here if you are interested. It appears that they are trying to increase the buttery smoothness of it to catch up to the iPhone.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

xxmillertimexx is just getting started

I really want this 2.2. I am gettin pretty tired of always updating apps manually and such. Do you think that 2.2 will improve speed when switching between apps? I would hope this means less task killer

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid