PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel

hammer1320 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I installed Sholes Mod now???

I have a few questions that im a little unclear about. I installed the 5 dollar rooter app from the market and all went good with that. My questions are....

1. I kind of want to try a 2.1 ROM with the live walpapers, does anybody suggest one?

2. Are the 2.1 ROMS stable? I was into flashing ROMS on my HTC Diamond but some were pretty, but left the phone useless sometimes

3. On the download pages for the ROMS, most of them have step by step instructions and thats cool, but, what steps are already done with this sholes mod. I kinda wish I just did it the hard way so I understand more about it.

4. Overclocking, I hear people getting a gig on thier droids, but all i can get is 550. I clicked auto-detect and it is set to 550 max (witch is all the way up) and min is 125. Maybe I am not understanding all the way.

Any help or heads up would be awsome. Im not really afraid of bricking, just affraid of not having a phone for a few days. LOL
Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

petemac85 is a n00b
Re: I installed Sholes Mod now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1320 View Post
I have a few questions that im a little unclear about. I installed the 5 dollar rooter app from the market and all went good with that. My questions are....

1. I kind of want to try a 2.1 ROM with the live walpapers, does anybody suggest one?

2. Are the 2.1 ROMS stable? I was into flashing ROMS on my HTC Diamond but some were pretty, but left the phone useless sometimes

3. On the download pages for the ROMS, most of them have step by step instructions and thats cool, but, what steps are already done with this sholes mod. I kinda wish I just did it the hard way so I understand more about it.

4. Overclocking, I hear people getting a gig on thier droids, but all i can get is 550. I clicked auto-detect and it is set to 550 max (witch is all the way up) and min is 125. Maybe I am not understanding all the way.

Any help or heads up would be awsome. Im not really afraid of bricking, just affraid of not having a phone for a few days. LOL
i have the same thing going on.. im using sholes and want to try the 2.1 only if its going to be better.. sholes works very well on my phone.. ii use setcpu and i have no problem setting mine up to 1000 even though i keep it at 800..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

gardobus is becoming a great contributor

Can't help you with 1. or 2. since I haven't tried any 2.1 ROMs. However, the SMUpdater you bought/ran saved a nandroid backup so if you play with 2.1 ROMs and they turn out to be crap, you can always load a backup. In fact I recomment making an Advanced Nandroid Backup every time you try a new ROM so you can go back to immediately before that.

3. You are rooted and have the recovery. All you need to do to flash a ROM is one step essentially. If the rom comes in an update.zip then you put it on your sdcard, boot into recovery, go to install > allow update.zip, then install update.zip. Done. If the ROM comes as a Nandroid backup then you put it in sdcard/Nandroid/ and then boot into recovery and go to Advanced Nandroid Restore or whatever it is. Pretty easy.

4. Mine lets me get up to 1000 with setCPU, not sure why you can't...

BTW since you have the recovery image flashed already and a backup, it is VERY hard to brick your phone
Old 02-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

The concensus around here is that the 2.1 ROMs are neat but they are very glitchy.
-the live wallpapers cause alot of crashes so users of 2.1 ROMs generally don't use them
-overclocking doesn't seem to be stable on the 2.1 ROMs

Once you're rooted and have nandroid installed and have done a full custom backup it's pretty straight forward switching between ROMs. All the roms come in the form of a nandroid backup so you just restore them. Some of the ROMs you only need to restore the boot and system portion so you can keep all your installed apps and desktop settings without issue. Other roms require a wipe prior to installing the nandroid backup.

If you have the sholes ROM installed and you selected that you want overclocking during the setup of the ROM then an autodetect in SetCPU should give you the ability to slide up to the higher clock speeds. Not sure what's going on there. You may want to re-install your sholes ROM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

During the installation, there was a quick message about an image problem. I stopped.
Should I install the 2.0.1 rom anyway?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Droidgeek

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
During the installation, there was a quick message about an image problem. I stopped.
Should I install the 2.0.1 rom anyway?
Try it again and see if you can generate the same error. If so please provide the entire error verbatim. Someone here should be able to assist.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

I may be too late. I have a SM updater in the apps tray. under Superuser permissions I have "+10047:10047 0:0 /system/bin/sh".
I started,AFAIR, when it detected I had rooted and had an image file on the SD card it claimed was old. As of now when I start the SM updater the foreground popup is to select ROMS 2.0.1,2.0.2 or 2.0.3 with select and quit(recommended) buttons.
in the background under SM updater title I have(as far as I can read it):
Current ROM ESD56
Version: 6 (0.0.6)
calculating md5 of flash_image
Pass
Calculating ,d5 of recovery.img
Pass

I am going to stop until someone can assist me as to what I should do.
I will check back tomorrow morning at work.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Droidgeek

ronald,

It sounds like it want's to install the ROM. 2.0.3 seems to be pretty nice from what I understand.

They have made their app set up so they have no liability. The popups will always recommend you don't install any of their stuff. "Not Recommended" is just their way of saying that it's your own prerogative to continue.

From my experience on that app you should be good to go.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Alltel
Threadstarter

hammer1320 is a n00b
Thumbs up Re: I installed Sholes Mod now???

Thanks for all the help. I will wait on the 2.1 ROMS till they are more stable. However I think I just found what I did wrong. I got a little freaked out by the whole [quit, recommended] [accept] button and I believe I didnt let it go through the whole thing. I recieved an update for the sholes mod and itr told me that i am rooted but still used stock ROM, so I just kept clicking accept and now its downloading. I chose the 2.0.3 so I hope its cool.

Again thanks so much for the help.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 AM
Lurker

petemac85 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer1320 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will wait on the 2.1 ROMS till they are more stable. However I think I just found what I did wrong. I got a little freaked out by the whole [quit, recommended] [accept] button and I believe I didnt let it go through the whole thing. I recieved an update for the sholes mod and itr told me that i am rooted but still used stock ROM, so I just kept clicking accept and now its downloading. I chose the 2.0.3 so I hope its cool.

Again thanks so much for the help.
i installed 2.02 and than 2.03 and it is great.. enjoy

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid