PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid, HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

GRTK_Brandon is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Overclock Your Droid. (800MHz, 900MHz and 1GHz)

Perhaps this will give me a legitimate reason to root my phone and really start playing around with it. 800 MHz is probably the ideal overclock speed, however I am a little curious as to long term effects. A dead phone would also provide a legitimate reason to purchase a new one sooner than expected. =]
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

for anyone is iffy or wanted a detailed experience for a fellow user... heres my experience of the OC while i used it.

OC: 900MHz
Rom: HC Nexus 2.1

well initially i flashed it at 80% which it got stuck at when trying to charge afterwards and had to do a battery pull and then when it rebooted it was at 100% to my surprise... when out for a bit and noticed i had lost 20% while my phone was idle... i figured my BW updates 15mins and my GPS/Autosync are on so maybe thats why.... i charged it for work and while at work again i lost 20% within an hour... then i turned on BW to update every hour. turned on my bluetooth to listen to my mp3s and proceeded with work... within minutes my phone was warm to the touch... within the next 3hrs my phone went to 40% was hot at the touch and just seemed like it was going 20% an hour... so i installed my last backup of 2.1 before the kernal within minutes my phone cooled down and my battery went from 40% to 60% and stayed there for 2hrs while listening to music via bluetooth.... i also noticed not many used 2.1 when OCin'... mostly are all on Pete's, Adamz or sholes 2.0.1..... and i've never flashed anything but the HC nexus one rom... so i may try those roms and maybe attempt the OC again... but so far... i seen no beneficial or real speed increase to my eyes... besides benchmarks.. my market seemed to take longer as if didn't want to connect to the internet everytime i tried to use it... it also broke my screen brightness..... so the OC is fun to play with... but for my uses just not up to my needs of a phone right now..
Old 01-27-2010, 10:49 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

ronaldheld is just getting started

I have never done this before, so are there explicit instructions as what to do and how to revert back if there is instabilty?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

theres the adb shell instructions on the main post on how to flash the boot img and all that as for reverting back simply make a nandroid backup before you flash the new boot img and if you don't like the results you can simply just restore that nandroid.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Verizion

Magik_Missles is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbiexx View Post
for anyone is iffy or wanted a detailed experience for a fellow user... heres my experience of the OC while i used it.

OC: 900MHz
Rom: HC Nexus 2.1

well initially i flashed it at 80% which it got stuck at when trying to charge afterwards and had to do a battery pull and then when it rebooted it was at 100% to my surprise... when out for a bit and noticed i had lost 20% while my phone was idle... i figured my BW updates 15mins and my GPS/Autosync are on so maybe thats why.... i charged it for work and while at work again i lost 20% within an hour... then i turned on BW to update every hour. turned on my bluetooth to listen to my mp3s and proceeded with work... within minutes my phone was warm to the touch... within the next 3hrs my phone went to 40% was hot at the touch and just seemed like it was going 20% an hour... so i installed my last backup of 2.1 before the kernal within minutes my phone cooled down and my battery went from 40% to 60% and stayed there for 2hrs while listening to music via bluetooth.... i also noticed not many used 2.1 when OCin'... mostly are all on Pete's, Adamz or sholes 2.0.1..... and i've never flashed anything but the HC nexus one rom... so i may try those roms and maybe attempt the OC again... but so far... i seen no beneficial or real speed increase to my eyes... besides benchmarks.. my market seemed to take longer as if didn't want to connect to the internet everytime i tried to use it... it also broke my screen brightness..... so the OC is fun to play with... but for my uses just not up to my needs of a phone right now..
Talk about an honest review. I love it. You would normally expect a black and white review when it comes to OC and Hacks. Either OMG THIS ROX, or OMG FTL. I appreciate the honesty. I'm not convinced to do the OC yet, but will definitely keep an open eye for more reviews and tests.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motor Droid

mclelands is a n00b

I'm running stock rom and so far have had no heat issues and it's been charging all night. I'll get to test it out a bit more tonight at work.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ronaldheld is just getting started

the sequence is do the backup, root the Droid, then follow the overclocking instructions?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motor Droid

mclelands is a n00b

I would say root,backup with nandroid, then use nandroid to load the OC recovery image. Seemed easier than using adb shell. Make sure you have setcpu before loading the recovery image ande it really is a quick easy process.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: droid, tp torch, titan, apache, omnia 2, tp2
Carrier: vzw, sprint

gootgolly is a n00b

I read on the net that only trolls can clock these beyond 600.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gootgolly View Post
I read on the net that only trolls can clock these beyond 600.
Awe... baby wants his bottle. Unless you can show you were doing this in December a full month before anyone else was, you are still a troll.

You've contributed nothing but complaining and whining to this forum.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid