PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Motorola Droid on Cricket??

Everyone has grumpy days. I had put together a big response yesterday morning but opted to just sit it out.

I'd reviewed the OP's post history and he's definately a Cricket guy... he's just frustrated cause the best CDMA phone out there doesn't work yet on his network. I'm sure someone will figure out how to get Android 2.0+ on cricket for data services down the road.

As far as I'm concerned blazingwolf just caught the OP on a bad morning.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO 4g
Carrier: Sprint

tim-tim is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to tim-tim Send a message via Yahoo to tim-tim

well sprint has an android phone as well. actually 2 of them. one made by htc and the other is a samsung i believe. there has to be a way for the phone to actually hold on to the prl settings since it wouldnt be very smart of google to open source all that information since it would lag bandwith in the coding... time to do some research. im going to put a motorola droid from verizon on sprint. and yeah verizon spent bank on advertising but honestly, i believe sprint's network is way better than verizons. you see countless commercials with at&t and verizon battling it out for the number one spot... do you ever see either company bashing sprint? why because they know better. im just saying lol
Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-tim View Post
well sprint has an android phone as well. actually 2 of them. one made by htc and the other is a samsung i believe. there has to be a way for the phone to actually hold on to the prl settings since it wouldnt be very smart of google to open source all that information since it would lag bandwith in the coding... time to do some research. im going to put a motorola droid from verizon on sprint. and yeah verizon spent bank on advertising but honestly, i believe sprint's network is way better than verizons. you see countless commercials with at&t and verizon battling it out for the number one spot... do you ever see either company bashing sprint? why because they know better. im just saying lol
I have mixed feelings on that. I have both Sprint and Verizon. Sprint seems to have a less broad range than Verizon but they both do well. My experience is that I always have a signal with Verizon, more so than Sprint, but Sprint has a stronger signal much of the time.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:00 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TheUltimateDroid Blue Midnight X Theme. Slayer1.6

rossi636 is keeping up the good workrossi636 is keeping up the good work

Whats your take on GSM vs CDMA? Sorry to go off topic, but figured your opinions may be worth hearing..

Thank in advance for your wisdom
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Alltel

nathanieljjohnson is a n00b

So far everything I'm finding on the CDMA programming of the phone is hitting a dead end with any PPP or M.IP settings getting reverted back to their Verizon defaults on reboot. So far no one I've read can get them to stick. NV edits, hex edits, every form of PST can read and appear to write, but then everything goes right back once the phone restarts. I'm inclined to agree with Maverick0984 on this one. Verizon obviously put in intellectual rights protection in the form of provisioning overwrites.

So far I haven't seen any new theories on how to get writes to stick. Creating new M.IP profiles doesn't help and the fact that the PPP settings always rewrite will make EVDO an impossibility. Talk and text appear to be no issue, but that kind of kills half of the real wonderful uses for this phone.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Cricket
Threadstarter

alfredo-x is keeping up the good workalfredo-x is keeping up the good work

well these people aren't familiar to me, i don't know the "father's" of any cooked stuff for anything that isn't for HTC devices... like ryanmogul, NRG, mightymike... but w/e
and no i'm not going to surf the forums for who did something "important" or whatever.

anyways i found a few videos of some people that have configured the Verizon droid on cricket, they even have a company that charges to flash cell phones... but of course, they themselves point out that the settings don't stick for some reason... they keep reverting back to sprint.

but they did have internet, gps, mms, sms, voice calls working... but in these forums i don't see any section for droid hacking... all we have is this forum, and it seems dedicated to general talk...

and the reason why i called some of you trolls was because you bring up irrelevant crap to my question.

look around these forums, 60% of the people that use these forums, use them to unlock phones, and then flash them to either other carriers or to flash the crappy stock ROM that comes with most of them.

and i don't think even 1% of the community gives a rat's ass if "we hurt the carrier's feelings" by flashing and unlocking their devices... we we cared, everything that has been developed thus far wouldn't exist...

and i for one, am not going to take my wallet to the slaughterhouse at verizon, att, t-mobile, sprint... none of those carriers offers you a reasonable unlimited plan (including high speed data) for less than $50/mo.
only cricket does that... the only thing is they don't have any good smart phones... that's why i had to buy a used htc touch pro 2, unlock it, and flash it to cricket, now i get 3G/EVDO, and everything else for $50/mo

so there... just don't bring anymore of that crap, i'm only really interested in resources and any info i can gather about flashing or configuring a droid for cricket... or what exactly is the programming issue that they can't get past.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

i'm gonna double post here since my last post was quite extensive, and i didn't see there was a 2nd page of posts...

anyways to the person that said that the droid is the best phone... i think the new google nexus has more horsepower... the reason i want to go with the droid is because the nexus one is not in the $300 yet, so yeah.

but i saw a comparison, head to head of the google nexus one vs the new HTC HD2, both have a snapdragon processor, which i've been waiting for quite some time now... and to my dismay, not only is the new HD2 NOT going to ship with WinMo7 (since it's been set back until 2011!!!!) but............ the nexus one beat the HD2 outright...

and to be honest WM6.5 is soooo very limited... i mean, i'm using windows 7 now, and my device feels quite archaic in the interface and whatnot. also, my friend recently got a Motorola Cliq for t-mobile, and i kinda saw the droid system a little... and yeah it's pretty good, and seems like it has way more apps and stuff than WM6.5

anyways... about what the last posted said on the settings reverting... it seems to me that the phone might have a separate ROM chip dedicated only to overwriting the settings on the phone. that's the only thing i can think of, and maybe the only way to do it is to deactivate that chip or short it out... but then, the phone software might have something where it won't function if the chip isn't detected...

i don't know, it seems like we might actually need the help of a verizon insider on this or an experienced computer engineer...
Old 01-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: cricket

kc720 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to kc720

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo-x View Post
the data settings don't stick on the phone??

wow talk about being "open source"...

so you are saying you also can not configure a verizon droid phone to work on sprint??

that is the most BS i've heard so far... what a bunch of a-holes...

it's ironic that windows mobile phones would be more configurable... god i hate this

and then what do you mean about a virtual port? don't droid phones have an EPST menu??
first of all if u have done any work on flashing the droid to cricket u will know what virtual port is about!! second, if u have not tried to flash the phone then u have no clue as to what people are talking about when they say the ppp settings dont stick. again, lack of knowledge in ur part before u start posting.

[QUOTE=alfredo-x;1498857]i'm gonna double post here since my last post was quite extensive, and i didn't see there was a 2nd page of posts...

anyways to the person that said that the droid is the best phone... i think the new google nexus has more horsepower... the reason i want to go with the droid is because the nexus one is not in the $300 yet, so yeah.

if u are talking about flashing the droid to cricket then why talk about the nexus one? that is gsm.

anyway, back to the point, i have rooted the droid, re mount the system to read and write, but the ppp settings still dont stick. maybe there is some things else i havent found yet
Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

no i haven't flashed one since i don't have one but yeah i have flashed other phones, and electronics, so i am assuming virtual port is either a program, or the cable you use to flash the phone. (sort of like how we us QPST to change settings on cdma phones), and i am pretty sure when you say ppp settings, it's something like the epst settings of our normal cdma phones that are supposed to always stay intact even if the phone is reflashed... but for some reason those settings are getting reset...
Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfredo-x View Post
-I specifically said 'the best CDMA phone' (Nexus One isn't CDMA)
-The Droid is more expensive in and out of contract.
-The Nexus one is all over eBay around $300

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid