PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: alltel

bballking2007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation programs running constantly?

I just got the Droid and love it. But battery is dragging. I downloaded the task killer app. Found a list of programs running, killed them all cuz I wasn't using any at the time. Five mind later a lot of programs running again. Stuff I have never used before. Can any one help me. Is this normal. I don't like stuff running by it self.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid
Carrier: verizon wireless

filthy1 is a n00b
Re: programs running constantly?

I have noticed the same thing and wondered if there was a way to stop this I also wish that I could find a free task killer that I could schedule to kill the task periodically without having to manually do it if one exist that would be awesome.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: Verizon

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work

Some things run in the background automatically depending on what you've downloaded. I know that if I have some widgets on my homescreen (like beautiful widgets or weather widgets) they are always running in the background and come back even when killed.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

If you could provide a list of the apps that seem to restart on their own, someone should be able to either shed light on the issue or help you resolve it completely.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

The bottom line is that many things running are supposed to be running and act as a service. Among them are email and calendar as well as apps you may have downloaded like weather channel or SportsTap You will have problems if you consistently use task killer to kill all running apps without a bit of knowledge. Android was built with its own memory management that all-in-all does a great job and doesn't generally need your help. My suggestion is to take care and only kill tasks that are high-level apps and not service apps. And generally, a good high-level app (media players, Pandora, etc) will have its own Quit menu item to get itself out of memory.

Coming from a WinMo background, one of the first apps I got was Advanced Task Killer thinking I knew better than the OS. Once I read some experts on the matter, I quit trying. While it seems all those apps and services must be eating your memory, I've yet to hear of anyone actually having memory problems.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I wouldnt worry about it either, that how Android is designed to work. I came from WM also and its a hard idea to get used to, but this OS is designed to have things running in the background. It only becomes a problem if you have installed a faulty app that hogs the memory, which is few and far between. I dont run any task killer programs and I dont have any issues with my phone slowing down.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: droid
Carrier: verizon wireless

filthy1 is a n00b

Ok I am convinced...coming from both win mobile and blackberry os' neither is designed to multitask as well as the Droid it was hard for me to accept but I just deleted my advanced task killer so I have already thanked both of you. Also, I like your Car...I am completely redoing a 1995 Mustang gt with a built 302 and a 125 shot myself just painted it a GM color actually odd as that my sound it is now sunset orange.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:06 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Sunset Orange Metallic is one of the best looking colors you can put on a street rod . Those Fox bodies are so light you dont have to have a ton of power to go fast with them, and they have an iconic style about them. Definitely one of my favorites.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: droid, tp torch, titan, apache, omnia 2, tp2
Carrier: vzw, sprint

gootgolly is a n00b

The large number of programs running when you have not asked them to do so, and many allow google and others constant access to your device..... simply are not acceptable nor should linux users complacently just accept such

Root your droid

It needs unbranding beyond merely removing useless and intrusive verizon rubbish.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:24 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: droid, tp torch, titan, apache, omnia 2, tp2
Carrier: vzw, sprint

gootgolly is a n00b

I have no idea who exactly is in charge of the android branch of this forum but...

I see no sticky on

linux tutorials
Rooting the droid
Useful linux programs
Or even useful apps from the shotgun scattered market

Etc

This platform will never, nor has it come close im many years....

To giving gates a run as long as people remain linux ignorant

As this phone ships, google is its momma and daddy and this device has much higher potential

Btw...

Rock stable and no overheating at .8ghz

May try a full gig next with throttling dowm when demand is low

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid