PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=103175)

gootgolly 12-24-2009 10:13 PM

syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

I cannot bring myself to syncing all google requires to check out the "market"

I despise several things about this unit and am sure they can easily be fixed

Onscreen keyboard
Sms functionality
Comtacts fumctionality
Very slow as phone
No tabbed browser

I dont think I will allow my contacts to be stored via google, that seems almost like trusting the whole world with private info, will this phone not be as stellar for such a non-conformist?

Are there any great sites that have free apps? Non-free and other than the google experience?

Any opinions regarding the privacy issue?

seang 12-24-2009 11:08 PM

Re: syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

cant offer much of an opinion on the privacy stuff, but i have used gmail for years. no issues there.
for a nice tabbed browser go to the market, and download dolphin. just found that today.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 12:01 AM

Re: syncronizing w/google online, location and reasonable expectation of privacy

Here's theIf I don't upload nearly 1000 private contacts anf such....

No google market

So for me, since I don't seem able to find much of anything elsewhere, will probablu ne a deal breaker.

I suspect many people may ultimately end up feeling the same way

That's a shame too since much of this phone is charming....

But I don't have permission to ever host sereral folks confidential info..

Even on the invisible met, much less hand it over to google.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 12:03 AM

And I am quite literate, a published author even, but this touch keyboard stinks

JonV 12-25-2009 10:24 AM

I want to be sure I understand. You are saying that you realize that there are several great replacement apps for SMS, keyboarding, and browsers but you don't want to use Market to get them for fear that Google will grab and misuse your contacts you have stored on the phone. Correct?

You are being forced to have a gmail connection to make the phone functional. Is the syncing of contacts required? I was thinking that syncing contacts and calendars is optional.

z0mbiexx 12-25-2009 11:50 AM

i don't see a point in buying a google phone and not having the intention of syncing it with googles online features. that almost seems to be the main core of all the features.

breakmyfootoff 12-25-2009 02:38 PM

Why dont you just create a new gmail account independent from everything else so you can use the market? When it asks if you want to sync contact info, just select "no". This really sounds more like a personal choice, if you dont like Google for whatever reason, I would recommend a different handset.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 09:25 PM

It will deny syncing if I do not surrender my contacts.

Who would I be to presume none of those who trust me with their private info would not object to me publishing that info on the net? An alternative gmail account does not rectify this strongarm extortion and invasion of privacy.

Remove either none or not above. This supplied keyboard and no copy paste is insufferable.

blazingwolf 12-25-2009 09:33 PM

You need to get another phone.

Copy/Paste does exist.

gootgolly 12-25-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 1436943)
Why dont you just create a new gmail account independent from everything else so you can use the market? When it asks if you want to sync contact info, just select "no". This really sounds more like a personal choice, if you dont like Google for whatever reason, I would recommend a different handset.

Even thougj I am very well google 'reads' private emails and sells adverts as relative to the ongoing conversations.......

I simply cannot violate both implied and directly stated trusts by giving up anyone's info

Try syncing without doing so

Access denied.

If anyone who hasn't already sync'd once is able to access the market without syncing contacts, tell me how it is done.