PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 6800
Carrier: Verizon

xanthias is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to xanthias Send a message via MSN to xanthias
Question How is Droid life with Exchange Server?

Looking at due diligence on MinMo or Droid in an Exchange Server environment. I've seen a thread on security certificates -

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98203

That aside, is anyone operating the Droid in an Exchange Server environment? Any functionality problems/solutions? Critical for work that I do so smoothly - contacts, calendar and email all populated there. Currently, I sync OTA with my Titan (WinMO 6.1). I need to do the same if I go to Droid, including the ability to accept calendar invites, etc. sent through Exchange/Outook.

Comments on your experiences to help me decide?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23
Re: How is Droid life with Exchange Server?

i have my droid setup with an exchange account on mail2web ota.

the problem i have but not a deal breaker. it only syncs inbox automatically, if you want to read sent messages you will have to open your sent folder and refresh. i also read somewhere else about no syncing other folders if you have rules for your inbox.
edit: contacts will sync fine both ways ota. i dont know about calendar as i don't use it.
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.

Last edited by EDGE23; 12-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Maverick0984 is keeping up the good workMaverick0984 is keeping up the good work

Syncing OTA is perfectly fine. You don't need any particular app to do it. Android does it out of the box. Calendars, Contacts, and Email all sync fine. I don't actually sync contacts myself, but I do everything else. Calendar syncs sync on the frequency you pick. Incoming emails get pushed to the phone immediately, etc. EDGE23 is correct though about folders. Only the inbox seems to sync at the moment. I have to physically go to a folder for it to sync. When I had a WinMo phone, my folders would sync, but there wouldn't be any notifications, so you'd have to open up the folder view to see if any folders got any emails.

In Android, it appears to not even make it that far. You have to physically navigate to the exact folder for it to even go out and attempt to sync it. That is really my only gripe. I still don't understand why notifications of email in ANY folder, inbox or not, are not standard practice in WinMo and Android, neither does it right.

I do receive appointments and such when a calendar event is triggered and do have the option to Accept, Decline, but have never really confirmed that it goes into the calendar, however, everything would suggest that it does.

Last edited by Maverick0984; 12-22-2009 at 02:44 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

One common issue I've found (work as an admin in a large Exchange environment) is that to download attachments our users must disable the 'accept all SSL certificates' option.

I have a couple users who use TouchDown ($19.99) have full functionality with all folders syncing... if you can afford it, it's a very nice application.

You can wipe the device remotely through OWA

On our system, users had to use the domain\NT4 login instead of the UPN.

Those are the only issues I've seen so far.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xanthias is a n00b

Great comments so far - exactly on point. One clarification: Maverick, are you saying you don't get any 'new mail' indicator on your bar or home screen widget, even off the inbox? I thought that was one of A2.0's big features, was unified notification across accounts . . .
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Maverick0984 is keeping up the good workMaverick0984 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthias View Post
Great comments so far - exactly on point. One clarification: Maverick, are you saying you don't get any 'new mail' indicator on your bar or home screen widget, even off the inbox? I thought that was one of A2.0's big features, was unified notification across accounts . . .
No, you get all notificiations you'd except for emails sent to the inbox. You don't get them for emails that land in folders other than your inbox. Also, again, if you're keeping track, WinMo didn't do this either. So it shouldn't be any loss of a feature in that regard.

The thing that WinMo does do, is it syncs all folders, it just doesn't notify you of subfolders. Android, only syncs the inbox as of yet, *does* notify you of inbox email, but since it doesn't sync the subfolders, unless you explicitly open one up, it can't possibly notifiy you of emails to subfolders.

I did try TouchDown for a brief bit but couldn't justify the $20.

(I'm also my company's IT Administrator, set up our Exchange Server and the whole bit if that matters).
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Omnia 910

bigperm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by banden View Post

On our system, users had to use the domain\NT4 login instead of the UPN.

looking at doing this myself w/exchange (switching from WinMo 6.1 (actually from BW 6.5 (Thanks BW))) and wondering what this was.

also, how do you hard reset the phone? thinking of trying it inside the store, to see if it works, and i want to be able to erase it....
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigperm View Post
looking at doing this myself w/exchange (switching from WinMo 6.1 (actually from BW 6.5 (Thanks BW))) and wondering what this was.

also, how do you hard reset the phone? thinking of trying it inside the store, to see if it works, and i want to be able to erase it....
On the Active Directory your account will have 2 separate identifiers used to login to your account.

UPN is User Principle Name is an Active Directory naming scheme that is compatible with DNS among other things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Principal_Name
Usually formatted: namingconvention@company

NT4 Logon is an alternative user name used in active directory that allows compatibility with older operating systems like Windows 95 or Windows NT to have access to the features of Active Directory services in a Windows Server 2003 or later environment.
Usually formatted: domain\NT4logon

What matters is that you get your Domain and NT4logon to try if the UPN doesn't work.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by banden View Post
On the Active Directory your account will have 2 separate identifiers used to login to your account.

UPN is User Principle Name is an Active Directory naming scheme that is compatible with DNS among other things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Principal_Name
Usually formatted: namingconvention@company

NT4 Logon is an alternative user name used in active directory that allows compatibility with older operating systems like Windows 95 or Windows NT to have access to the features of Active Directory services in a Windows Server 2003 or later environment.
Usually formatted: domain\NT4logon

What matters is that you get your Domain and NT4logon to try if the UPN doesn't work.
I was able to use my UPN fine btw.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

xanthias is a n00b

Paying back, hopefully - here is a good faq on Exchange solutions:

http://androidforums.com/how-tips/16...s-summary.html

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid