PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Maverick0984 is keeping up the good workMaverick0984 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Manual 2.0.1 Update (Zip Inside)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Crisis averted, the person I was talking to got both phones working again, but still, use caution with the rooting. I would actually recommend just waiting for the update over the air at this point since there's really nothing to be gained from the rooting aside from having the update a couple of days early.
I know you said earlier that they were different, but this post confuses things a bit.

The update is absolutely different than rooting. I imagine applying the update like this is similar to something they would do in the store if you came in and asked for a manual update.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch> Touch Pro> Droid

pknyo is becoming a great contributor

Updated to 2.0.1! Was a little scary watching the "eye" for about 2-3 minutes though.

Edit: Liking the update, seems "snappyer"

If I made your day in any way, dont forget to say....

Last edited by pknyo; 12-09-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

No problems on my phone with the new update. I have made calls, received emails and text messages plus run many apps.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

For non-linux users on how to install the manual update (DOES NOT REQUIRE ROOTING.) Be sure to have plenty of battery life (I'd recommend > 60%)

1. Download the update zip file from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ECXY7ANI and save it someplace handy. Rename this zip file: update.zip

2. Connect your Droid to your computer and Mount the SD Card through the phone (A dialogue will pop up on your phone asking to connect your SD Card. Click Mount)

3. Move the update.zip file to the SD Card on your phone (make sure you aren't putting it inside any folders it needs to be in the main directory of the SD Card.)

4. Once this is done, unplug your phone and turn it off by holding the power/lock button, then selecting Power Off.

5. Slide open your phone's keyboard.
> Hold down the letter X key on the keyboard and power your phone on WHILE HOLDING THE 'X' KEY DOWN.
>Once you see a graphic with an ! mark in it, let go of the X key.
>Press and HOLD the Volume + key on the side of your phone, then press the camera button..

6. Now you will be presented with a menu. Navigate using the D-pad to 'install update.exe', and click the middle (gold) button. Now wait for the process to finish.

Takes a few minutes to install, then the menu will pop up again, you will need to select 'reboot'. This reboot will take a good 3 or 4 minutes to complete and will sit at the Droid Eye Logo for the majority of it.

Once it boots up you should see the new unlock screen! Enjoy.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

mdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmdphoenix is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to mdphoenix Send a message via AIM to mdphoenix Send a message via MSN to mdphoenix Send a message via Yahoo to mdphoenix

All updated. Sadly, I still cannot activate voice dialing from my handsfree device.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by banden View Post
2. Connect your Droid to your computer and Mount the SD Card through the phone (A dialogue will pop up on your phone asking to connect your SD Card. Click Mount)

3. Move the update.zip file to the SD Card on your phone (make sure you aren't putting it inside any folders it needs to be in the main directory of the SD Card.)
Or you could just download the file on your Droid (for those of us away from home who don't have a USB cable) and move the file using a file manager such as Astro.

EDIT: I forgot that for some annoying reason you can't download files that Android doesn't like. I've tried using Astro's download option, as well as download crutch, but neither of those work 100% of the time.

Last edited by nerdherd; 12-09-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Well, I finally remembered that Steel will let you download anything you want, so I just downloaded the file that way and am in the process of updating right now...

UPDATE: Cool, it installed fine and everything seems to be working really well. I like the new black widgets. Home screen scrolling is a little better, and the browser feels just a hair faster in rendering web pages. Otherwise it doesn't seem a whole lot different so far.

Last edited by nerdherd; 12-09-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Nice catch nerdherd. (I feel mean for calling you nerdherd)
Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

mantispid is a n00b

Updated to 2.0.1. It definitely runs a lot smoother now. Apps I don't notice the app-loading lag that I did at times.

That said, that only applies to apps that work with 2.0.1. Some apps will just crap out on you, though this isn't entirely unexpected. I'm sure they will get updated in time.

The biggest annoyance would be the lock-ups. Some apps (such as Youtube) can at times completely lock up the phone, requiring a battery pull.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

mantispid is a n00b

Other bugs found so far:

Occasionally it will eat an incoming SMS message. This may be related to the Handcent app, though.

Last edited by mantispid; 12-09-2009 at 06:21 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid