PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 02:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Carrier: Verizon

BradP is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why root to teather?

I am just curious why people are rooting their phone to teather?

I have not received my DX yet (but should be getting it tomorrow), and I have been reading through the threads related to teathering to prepare myself for when I get the phone and I am confused.

Do you need to root your phone to get the free teathering? Or would PDANet work?

It seems like from what I read PDA net would do the same thing...but I may be missing something.

Thanks!!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community
Re: Why root to teather?

pdanet works as well but the free version blocks secure websites and only works with one computer. there are other advantages to rooting besides free wifi tethering as well.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Well I rooted my phone so I could get wireless tethering. Not sure if PDA net does wireless. Before root I was using Easy Tether. Honestly - my wireless tether is sometimes blazing fast - but will not stay connected. I am using Easy Tether right now.

So you don't necessarily need root for free tethering. There are some other apps that people are excited about that require root.

Screen Capture (not a biggie unless you are a customization junkie and like to share images of your device screen).

Rom manager. Eases the process of flashing a custom rom. (only 1 or 2 available for the X)

TitaniumBackup. Allows you to back up all of your apps so should anything ever happen - a simple restore will get you back in business.

Clockwork mod (by Koush) - allows you to back up the entire rom image of your phone (maybe called a "nandroid" -not sure- all this android stuff is new to me). So if you brick your phone trying to do customizations - this helps you to enter recovery and restore the original image.

None of this stuff is essential if you just want to enjoy Android. But for phone junkies that are into heavy customization - they are all over stuff like this - most of which requires root.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (Verizon)
Threadstarter

BradP is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2477; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Thanks for the responses. That makes sense to me. Just wanted to be sure I understood the requirements for free tethering. ONCE i receive my phone I will spend a good amount of time becoming familiar with the android OS, then maybe I will root it for customization.

Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Since most of us here are coming from the TP2, me included. wireless tether has become a requirement for daily functions. to me its better than carrying around a MiFi.

the only thing that gets me is, my TP2's wireless tether function worked alot better that the Moto X's wireless tether. With the TP2 i always had a strong stable signal. the Moto X has had data connection issues, but since the ota 2.2 update the X's tether has become more stable.
i still get the occasional data loss but it doesnt drop out completely like it did before
Old 09-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work
I rooted to use Barnacle. I use it for work to send a few files from my laptop every day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padron26 View Post
Since most of us here are coming from the TP2, me included. wireless tether has become a requirement for daily functions. to me its better than carrying around a MiFi.

the only thing that gets me is, my TP2's wireless tether function worked alot better that the Moto X's wireless tether. With the TP2 i always had a strong stable signal. the Moto X has had data connection issues, but since the ota 2.2 update the X's tether has become more stable.
i still get the occasional data loss but it doesnt drop out completely like it did before
It is strange how different phones behave differently. Maybe it has something to do with the area you live in. Bc my data connection is less stable since the ota. While i am using Wireless Tether I will get 350kbs, 1kbs, 625kbs, .5kbs... It's all over the place. Sometimes it is usable, sometimes not.

I end up just using Easy Tether (usb) most of the time.

What is the exact app you are using? Mine is "Wireless Tether for Root" by Muller, Lemons, Buxton.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I have a few threads about this in 3 different forums, trying to see if there is a fix for the unstable connection. i was hoping that the 2.2 update would help. even the people that pay for the VZW 3G hotspot feature are having the same problem. so it isnt the wifi app that we are using. Im using the same Wifi tether. i also use Barnacle. it does the same thing. ive still got a TP2 activated and it works flawlessly i can have both tethering in the same exact spot/time and i only have issues with the X.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:15 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padron26 View Post
I have a few threads about this in 3 different forums, trying to see if there is a fix for the unstable connection. i was hoping that the 2.2 update would help. even the people that pay for the VZW 3G hotspot feature are having the same problem. so it isnt the wifi app that we are using. Im using the same Wifi tether. i also use Barnacle. it does the same thing. ive still got a TP2 activated and it works flawlessly i can have both tethering in the same exact spot/time and i only have issues with the X.
Yeah - same experience here. Definitely want to know if you come up with something.

Sorry Op - not trying to hijack.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

ill post it here if i remember, but it will be in the thread i started here.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/moto-droid...lp-needed.html

also check out the prl update if you have2.2 ota *22899 , thanks to Mikeklemz

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X