PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
the perfect phone??

I have had a TouchPro 2 for almost a year (I got it on day one when VZ offered them online) & absolutely loved the thing which made me unsure whether I really wanted to make the jump to Android (I have used WM for years & have every cab file in the universe). I flashed a ton of different ROMs to it but not because I really wanted to, it just took me a while to get it just right (then I ran the same ROM for 6 months)

Until the DroidX was released, there was no Android phone that really excited me. I watch a lot of mp4 movies on my phone, so when the EVO first came out I was kinda pissed that VZ didn't have a phone with a screen like that. My boss bought an EVO & after seeing that HTC was back to their shoddy build quality I didn't really want an EVO anymore (his first EVO had the screen peeling off brand new out of the box).

I was all set to use the TP2 for another 6 months or so & wait to see what came out. I changed my mind when VZ announced the X however. I knew immediately that a Motorola phone would be a much higher build quality than anything made by HTC (every Motorola phone I've ever used was built like a tank) & it had the same speed/huge screen etc as the EVO.

I am different than most TP2 users in that I almost never used the hardware KB (I would have bought a Diamond 2 if it ever became available). I used TouchPal 3.5 KB 99.9 % of the time, so the X not having a KB was perfect for me.

After deciding I wanted to jump to Android & buy the X, I tried to pre-order one and found nobody was taking pre-orders but BJs at least took down my name & said they would call me when they came in.

BJs got 10 of them in & I stood at the door that Thursday morning & waited for them to open. I was the first one in & got one with no problem. A guy in line behind me said he had just come from a VZ store that is just down the road & said there was a line there that went clear across the parking lot.

After using the X for a few weeks now, I am totally in love with this phone (especially with it rooted & wireless tether working). I can't believe that I had reservations about buying it. This is the first phone I have ever owned that I see absolutely no reason whatever to flash to another ROM. It already does everything perfectly & every app under the sun can be installed without any need to re flash it.

I waited to go with Android until Sling Mobile & Sirius radio where available as I use both daily. Sling works perfectly for me, some users won't like the Sirius app as it won't get Howard Stern but I don't care about that.

When I first got the X, I figured I would use both phones (I still have the TP2) but now I can't even imagine using a WM phone again. I can't think of a single thing that the X doesn't do better/faster etc than any WM phone & I have not even turned on the TP2 since I got the X.

I only have one complaint at this point, now that I have a bunch of custom stuff done (apps added, WP changed etc)

where do I go from here? It took me 6 months to get my TP2 to this point, this was just entirely too easy........

~John
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: the perfect phone??

And lets not forget that pesky 68 degree weather screen. LOL.
I'm glad you found your soulmate bro. I hope to feel the same way you do when I get the second or third update to WP7 lol.
p.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECA View Post
LOL, that was certainly annoying but it started working again this afternoon....

It says 84 degrees right now.

~John
Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTECA View Post
I'm glad you found your soulmate bro. I hope to feel the same way you do when I get the second or third update to WP7 lol.
p.
I would have waited on Windows 7 Mobile if all my cabs would have worked with it.

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work

This post makes me chuckle in agreement. I was just saying to my wife (she was doing her usual nodding of the head with the glazed over look when i talk phone stuff) how all I have really done is install apps on this thing. I just use it instead of trying to "hack" (read: fix) it like I did with my TP and TP2.

I put the touch pro 2 on craigslist about an hour ago.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I would have waited on Windows 7 Mobile if all my cabs would have worked with it.

~John

I hear you... I figure I have to start over anyway... Might as well start with something new... Kinda makes me feel like part of the development team.
lol.
p.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon aka VZW aka BigRed

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad

I agree 100%.... Droid X is really an amazing device...

I'm still using my TP2 and the screen now seems so TINY
Also while using my TP2 i just can't get over the speed difference... it's like night and day

And the droid x is only $169!!! well, with the online business discount...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: the mighty EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Fabulas is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I have had a TouchPro 2 for almost a year (I got it on day one when VZ offered them online) & absolutely loved the thing which made me unsure whether I really wanted to make the jump to Android (I have used WM for years & have every cab file in the universe). I flashed a ton of different ROMs to it but not because I really wanted to, it just took me a while to get it just right (then I ran the same ROM for 6 months)

Until the DroidX was released, there was no Android phone that really excited me. I watch a lot of mp4 movies on my phone, so when the EVO first came out I was kinda pissed that VZ didn't have a phone with a screen like that. My boss bought an EVO & after seeing that HTC was back to their shoddy build quality I didn't really want an EVO anymore (his first EVO had the screen peeling off brand new out of the box).

I was all set to use the TP2 for another 6 months or so & wait to see what came out. I changed my mind when VZ announced the X however. I knew immediately that a Motorola phone would be a much higher build quality than anything made by HTC (every Motorola phone I've ever used was built like a tank) & it had the same speed/huge screen etc as the EVO.

I am different than most TP2 users in that I almost never used the hardware KB (I would have bought a Diamond 2 if it ever became available). I used TouchPal 3.5 KB 99.9 % of the time, so the X not having a KB was perfect for me.

After deciding I wanted to jump to Android & buy the X, I tried to pre-order one and found nobody was taking pre-orders but BJs at least took down my name & said they would call me when they came in.

BJs got 10 of them in & I stood at the door that Thursday morning & waited for them to open. I was the first one in & got one with no problem. A guy in line behind me said he had just come from a VZ store that is just down the road & said there was a line there that went clear across the parking lot.

After using the X for a few weeks now, I am totally in love with this phone (especially with it rooted & wireless tether working). I can't believe that I had reservations about buying it. This is the first phone I have ever owned that I see absolutely no reason whatever to flash to another ROM. It already does everything perfectly & every app under the sun can be installed without any need to re flash it.

I waited to go with Android until Sling Mobile & Sirius radio where available as I use both daily. Sling works perfectly for me, some users won't like the Sirius app as it won't get Howard Stern but I don't care about that.

When I first got the X, I figured I would use both phones (I still have the TP2) but now I can't even imagine using a WM phone again. I can't think of a single thing that the X doesn't do better/faster etc than any WM phone & I have not even turned on the TP2 since I got the X.

I only have one complaint at this point, now that I have a bunch of custom stuff done (apps added, WP changed etc)

where do I go from here? It took me 6 months to get my TP2 to this point, this was just entirely too easy........

~John
I'm not trolling by any means, but the EVO does not feel cheap in any way and mine VERY feels solid. It feels more solid than the Droid X to me (but that's just my opinion). I think that if Verizon released the EVO, many people would switch.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I too stopped using my TP2 hardware keyboard, and switched to the imagio for a brief 4 months for the slimmer profile.

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesscoggin View Post
I too stopped using my TP2 hardware keyboard, and switched to the imagio for a brief 4 months for the slimmer profile.
I considered switching to an Imagio myself at one point, but I was afraid there would never be an unlocker or any custom ROMs for it so I stuck with the TP2.

~John

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X