PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: the perfect phone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenerd View Post
This post makes me chuckle in agreement. I was just saying to my wife (she was doing her usual nodding of the head with the glazed over look when i talk phone stuff) how all I have really done is install apps on this thing. I just use it instead of trying to "hack" (read: fix) it like I did with my TP and TP2.

I put the touch pro 2 on craigslist about an hour ago.
Ouch - Craig's list cemetery! Ha, I know what you mean with the females and their so sincere attempt at actually caring what we're talking about!

Phew... this thread alone has me nearly ready to abandon the sliding keyboard ship, and just go with the Droid X from my TP2, and forget the Droid 2 altogether.... I'm confused now
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

See.. when I used to say this same thing in the tp2 forum yall said I was trolling lol. I tried to tell you.. once you get adjusted to droid from winmo its a wrap.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 PM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Sorry for my ignorance (see post above, I have been an WinMo user for years), but are you saying there is a voice recognition app for Droid that can actually type out Emails, text documents, text messages, and even posts on online forums such as PPC Geeks - like Dragon for computers!? How much is it, or does it come native in the phone? WOW - this is something that has me VERY excited. I have been putting off buying the Droid X for a short while now, because I feel "attached" to the keyboard on the forthcoming Droid 2... but with this bit of news, maybe I can have my magapixel-pie and eat it too!
Yes... its built into android. Voice to text and it can be used in any field that's used to input text. And it works DAMN good too.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

it's too bad it only works when you have a data connection

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance (see post above, I have been an WinMo user for years), but are you saying there is a voice recognition app for Droid that can actually type out Emails, text documents, text messages, and even posts on online forums such as PPC Geeks - like Dragon for computers!? How much is it, or does it come native in the phone? WOW - this is something that has me VERY excited. I have been putting off buying the Droid X for a short while now, because I feel "attached" to the keyboard on the forthcoming Droid 2... but with this bit of news, maybe I can have my magapixel-pie and eat it too!
As another poster has mentioned, it does have voice recognition in any field. You do need a data connection because the heavy lifting of running the software is done on Nuances side. Its 95% accurate for me...even in the car going 65. At 95%, I dont even fix the errors now. I just say it and send it. Also, the right most key on the front of the phone is the search key (google search and phone search) and I use that multiple times a day. I ask it all sorts of stuff. Just asked it, "what street did the muffin man live on?" 5 seconds later the wiki page for the song came up and Drury Lane was in the header. Love it.

I saw the below post on another forum and had one of those "i love technology moments"

"I wish to regal you with how my Droid X saved my dogs lives today. After coming home from work, I noticed that my dogs had opened and eaten an entire bag of brownies. Realizing this was toxic to them I grab them and threw them in the car. On my way to the vet I realized I should call them and tell them I have an emergency case coming in, but what the number?

Quickly using my voice and google search I quickly had the number, which I was then able to call with one touch. As I spoke to the person, they informed me that I really needed to goto an emergency room, not the local vet. Where is the closest one I asked...they told me the name, and a general area, but I had no idea where that was.....

Using voice search again I found the emergency room, but how to get there...what's this get directions, excellent click, even better navagiate, yes go.

Once arriving there, they asked me questions about the brownie and type, but I had no idea, quick call and text people who do, all while holding a strong battery life.

The vet was able to get the brownie out of my dog, because of my speed of arrival and knowledge of what had happened, all would not be possible without my Droid X.

All is well now, and my Droid X is a soild member of this family."

Last edited by mikenerd; 07-29-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: formating
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 soon to be Driod X

kevmueller is keeping up the good workkevmueller is keeping up the good work

Alright, I just made the jump, ordered my Driod X online this morning. Now the only problem is it will be shipped by 8/11. Now I am going to by like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmueller View Post
Alright, I just made the jump, ordered my Driod X online this morning. Now the only problem is it will be shipped by 8/11. Now I am going to by like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning.
At the end of the day, who thinks I should go for the more muscular guts and camera of the X, rather than wait for the Droid 2 with a better UI not screwed up by Motorola (plausibly) and the reduced camera MPs but with a sliding keyboard?

Also... will froyo eventually come to the X, AND Droid 2, improving both devices and hopefully the camera quality and shutter response time?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Tbolt - Bamf Remix 1.6 Oc'ed 1.3,DX - Apex 1.4

Padron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPadron26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

After using this Motorola X i havent touched my TP2, it sits on the counter waiting to be used lol
especially when im at work or just out. I need a app for something, i just look it up on the market and i got it, with the tp2 it wasnt that easy. and especially with the speed and simplicity of the X. it is real hard to compare the TP2 to it. I did love the TP2 at first but in order to have it work the way you want it you always have to tinker with. Just my opinion
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: verizon

Zaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
At the end of the day, who thinks I should go for the more muscular guts and camera of the X, rather than wait for the Droid 2 with a better UI not screwed up by Motorola (plausibly) and the reduced camera MPs but with a sliding keyboard?

Also... will froyo eventually come to the X, AND Droid 2, improving both devices and hopefully the camera quality and shutter response time?
The X should have Froyo within the next week. Two at tops.
As for the UI, Blur on the X is very subtle. Outside of a few widgets and the home screen, you probably won't see much. I dropped the home screen pretty quickly for ADW and I've never used the blur widgets (although the contact widget is pretty nice).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod-Beeblebrox View Post
The X should have Froyo within the next week. Two at tops.
As for the UI, Blur on the X is very subtle. Outside of a few widgets and the home screen, you probably won't see much. I dropped the home screen pretty quickly for ADW and I've never used the blur widgets (although the contact widget is pretty nice).
So you can opt to forgo the Motoblur functionality altogether?

Can the X be rooted without brick issues as I've read about? How do you feel about the camera's ability to snap shots quickly, as well as record 720p video?

All in all, do you think I'll be happier with the more capable specs of the X compared to the forthcoming Droid 2, as long as I adapt well to the on-screen keyboard?

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X