PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2010, 08:08 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: VZW

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe
Re: E-Fuse - Self Destruct

Last time I read the story (unless i read it wrong) the eFuse was in the TI OMAP processor and not Android OS itself. That would make it hardware based and not software based which makes it a lot more hard to get around.

From the arcticle:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/...try-to-mod-it/

"It requires a hardware fix, apparently, only available through Motorola, of course. This is the equivalent of a MacBook detonating some core component if you try to install an OS to dual boot."

So this is why older Moto devices like the first Droid dont have this issue

Last edited by weedahoe; 07-16-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:06 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

eFuse has always been hardware based including on the original Droid.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 07-16-2010, 12:00 PM
VIP Member

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Moto has responded to the eFuse stories. It does not brick the device. The device will work once authorized software is installed.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/m...sy-says-efuse/
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

That is better news. waiting for the rooting attempts to commence..
Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
VIP Member

weedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on repweedahoe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to weedahoe Send a message via MSN to weedahoe Send a message via Yahoo to weedahoe

So in other words, its partial dead device instead of a full dead device......nice
Old 07-16-2010, 04:13 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedahoe View Post
So in other words, its partial dead device instead of a full dead device......nice
Sigh. You obviously need to move on to another phone. Last time I checked if you can flash the phone then it is not partially dead.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

No I understand. You just did not get my sarcasm. eFUSE is a crappy way of trying to secure a device that we all know can do FAR MORE than what they intend for it to do. To handicap the device in such a way would make it useless to many of us. So modding it only for eFUSE to kick in and have to go back to a restricted, handicapped OEM software with bloatware is as good as a bricked phone to me (which is why Im not getting it)

Last edited by weedahoe; 07-16-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I don't really see it as a big deal really.

My new X doesn't have any of the bloatware at all that VZ usually puts in a phone & I'm sure somebody will figure out a way around that system anyway.

This is the first phone I have ever owned that I honestly don't care if I can ever flash the ROM in. I have been flashing ROMs since my xv6700 days & it was always to fix dificiencies in the phone or add things like sense 2.5.

This phone runs so well that I'm not sure what flashing would accomplish other than add some bugs that it doesn't have now. Anything I want to add is available for free or close to it from the market, so why would the phone need to be flashed.

I think it's kind of a relief to have a phone that runs perfectly WITHOUT having to try out 50 different ROMs in it (hell, the best thing about this phone is it's NOT made by HTC).

~John

Last edited by jmorton10; 07-17-2010 at 03:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

Seems that Motorola issued a statement yesterday. Saying that this isn't true. Possibly a lot of people just shooting off their mouth before finding out first whether there was any truth to the rumor. I guess we'll know the facts shortly. Ill wait another day for the facts.

R

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X