PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Ask me your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc touch-pro View Post
after having the phone for a while... What are your overall impressions? Also...

1) is there any way i can see identical picture side-by-side comparisons of the x and the droid-2, or since it won't officially be released for two weeks, i'll have to wait until august 12th?

2) i am really intent on getting either the droid x or the droid 2 between now and the droid 2 release date - upgrading from my worn touch pro 2; but i can't decide which way to go. If i can finally adapt to and embrace the virtual keyboard, would you say the droid x is by far superior, or do you see some awesome advantages of waiting for the droid 2?

3) if i buy the droid 2, is there anyway to self install the froyo version of android (2.2), since for some reason it didn't come with it out of the box (because i heard motorola's garbage ui is holding the phone back)

4) is the phone rootable and/or unlockable (as in the touch pro 2, and installing mighty rom or rom x etc?)

thanks!!
^ bump
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Galaxy Nexus

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

when they release an update for it will be pushed to the device ota,
or when there is a bootloader crack (which hasn't happened for the droid x or the milestone even) you can load custom ROMS.
I'm sure more developements for your Droid2 will come after release.

Nokia6110 - RazrV3 -LG8700 ------TP1 ---Imagio -- Tbolt - RazrMaxx
----MotoV710 -LG8600 - XV8600 ------TP2 ----DroidX - Gnex -RazrMaxxHD
(Palm T5, VZW-Xoom,VZW Xyboard)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesscoggin View Post
when they release an update for it will be pushed to the device ota,
or when there is a bootloader crack (which hasn't happened for the droid x or the milestone even) you can load custom ROMS.
I'm sure more developements for your Droid2 will come after release.
Droid 2 will, in theory, have much more 'fanfare' from the ROM designers and the digital wizards, because of its almost certain massive popularity and sales numbers, right?

I can't wait for the 12th... I can't even wait for the pre-sale! I haven't bought a phone in YEARS AND YEARS, I just keep upgrading for 'free' when my previous phones break and they are obsolete and out of stock at Verizon, haha!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:28 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

wesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on repwesscoggin is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Droid 2 will, in theory, have much more 'fanfare' from the ROM designers and the digital wizards, because of its almost certain massive popularity and sales numbers, right?

I can't wait for the 12th... I can't even wait for the pre-sale! I haven't bought a phone in YEARS AND YEARS, I just keep upgrading for 'free' when my previous phones break and they are obsolete and out of stock at Verizon, haha!
time will tell the tale on how much more fanfare the droid 2 will get vs the X.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
time will tell the tale on how much more fanfare the droid 2 will get vs the X.
I still think most people prefer the tactile feedback and familiarity/ease of using an actual keyboard, rather than sacrificing their screen real estate to the QWERTY Gods; not to mention the original Droid was immeasurably successful and is still a hot ticket all this time after the debut - the X is just another Android device added to the Verizon line-up. I am not saying the X isn't awesome, and I am not still considering it as my next phone, but 9 of 10 people on the street wouldn't even know what the "X" was, let alone Froyo; so I think the Droid 2 is an automatic success.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: verizon

Zaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
I still think most people prefer the tactile feedback and familiarity/ease of using an actual keyboard, rather than sacrificing their screen real estate to the QWERTY Gods; not to mention the original Droid was immeasurably successful and is still a hot ticket all this time after the debut - the X is just another Android device added to the Verizon line-up. I am not saying the X isn't awesome, and I am not still considering it as my next phone, but 9 of 10 people on the street wouldn't even know what the "X" was, let alone Froyo; so I think the Droid 2 is an automatic success.
hate to rain on your parade or curb your enthusiasm but the X is and will continue to be VZW's flag ship. The Droid 2 (while not trying to hate on that device) has a smaller screen, smaller processor, and no HDMI out. It is an evolutionary improvement on the original Droid.

Now I don't want to imply that it won't be a fine phone. I'm sure it will. Just make no mistake, the X is VZW's bad boy right now.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

same processor,

but after I explained the difference in my office to two coworkers that are upgrading this week.....guess which one they picked.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
same processor,

but after I explained the difference in my office to two coworkers that are upgrading this week.....guess which one they picked.
If they don't mind adapting to an on-screen keyboard, the X (as long as they aren't petite and have hands that can palm a basketball and never wear form fitting clothing).

I don't need an HDMI out... can't imagine I'll be gathering the family around the TV to show them my latest blurry shaky cell-cam video.

If they have the same processor, and I'm gaining an actual keyboard on the D2, and megapixels are a useless measuring stick to predict true picture quality... all I'm really giving up in a minuscule amount of screen going with the D2 compared to the X... I think I'll be more than happy.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

Great. Now that your mind is made up you can stop explaining why you are not get the X in the X forum.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:51 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: verizon

Zaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regularZaphod-Beeblebrox is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
same processor,

Same processor but slower clocked. the D2 is supposed to be clocked at 750 Mhz (D1 was 550 I think). The X is clocked at 1Ghz.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X