PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Moto Droid X (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227)
-   -   locked bootloader? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=127043)

rolandroland 06-28-2010 09:43 PM

locked bootloader?

Anyone know if this will be unlocked like the Droid or locked like the Milestone? Hoping there is an answer before the 15th and I go to a store.

blazingwolf 06-28-2010 11:35 PM

Re: locked bootloader?

Rumor says that the bootloader is locked.

weedahoe 06-29-2010 11:09 AM

Which most are........

rolandroland 06-29-2010 11:27 AM

I might be messing up a my wording. Not locked, but signed. Essentially I am trying to figure out if it'll be like the Milestone or not before I buy it.

lipidfats 07-11-2010 11:17 PM

encrypted bootloader, you won't be able to flash ROMs http://www.androidguys.com/2010/07/1...oms-happening/

Carla 07-12-2010 11:50 PM

Sigh....If I was in the market to upgrade my VZW phone that would stop me.

weedahoe 07-13-2010 06:02 AM

I am in the market for a new device and had my eye on the DX but since this is what it is, I will pass on this device and wait until Nov I guess. I also guess no Moto phones for me, only HTC.

rolandroland 07-13-2010 09:00 AM

Supposedly Moto said this will be the case for all future phones, Droid 2 and the rest. So now I am rethinking. I don't really want a Dinc as it is a good phone, but I see it as a step behind the DX and the coming Fascinate. I don't think I have the patience to wait for Oct/Nov. So maybe it is a DX now and try to sell it later.

weedahoe 07-13-2010 09:20 AM

I can see Moto doing this all the time and causing issues. For me, this is too much and I will not get one.

However with the VZW rumorer to release LTE (4G) on Nov 15th and devices for that on Black Friday, i am more willing to see what they come out with. However, being they are talking about doing tiered data plans like AT&T but yet AT&T getting class action lawsuits for that as well as a few other things, it will be interesting to see how VZW responds to it.

I am very against tiered data plans unless they want to tier them for less that the current unlimited @ $30 a month but still keep that package as an option. AT&Ts 2gb for $25 is ridiculous.

Its like a sales person telling you all about how the Lamborghini can do all these things and go so fast and looks so good but then telling you it is restricted to only a few things and 60mph. What good would that be? Who would want that? See my point?

So to me, the next few months will be interesting.

redd214 07-13-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weedahoe (Post 1863313)
I am very against tiered data plans unless they want to tier them for less that the current unlimited @ $30 a month but still keep that package as an option. AT&Ts 2gb for $25 is ridiculous.

Its like a sales person telling you all about how the Lamborghini can do all these things and go so fast and looks so good but then telling you it is restricted to only a few things and 60mph. What good would that be? Who would want that? See my point?

So to me, the next few months will be interesting.

a key fact you are missing is the fact that the overwhelming majority (90+%) of att customers dont go over 2gb a month that includes all the iphoners. so essentially att just passed monthly savings onto 90+% of their customers. how could that be described as ridiculous? for users like us in the very small minority that does use a ton of data it sucks but it was a very intelligent move on att's part. i currently have 17 lines under my name. the only one that ever goes over 2gb a month is my personal phone however so for me if verizon implemented a similar tiering/pricing structure as att it would save me 100's of dollars a year. it would be difficult adjusting my personal use of data but id be more than willing to do it to save that amount of money. if you were the ceo of vzw or att and had 60 or 70 million customers, wouldnt it be prudent to enable 90% of those people to save a few bucks a month on their bills without having to change their usage habits??? of course not everyone will be pleased but its like that in all walks of life. the positives FAR outweigh the negatives. im not very exicited about the inevitability of the tiered data either but its easy to see why they would do it.

as far as the ot though it does REALLY suck about the lack of custom roms. the x is to good to pass up for me though but i know many of you wont feel the same. even though there wont be any overclocking, removal of vzw crapware etc. i was very pleased with the stock rom on my incredible so its not a dealbreaker for me.