PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X > Moto Droid X Themes

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon aka VZW aka BigRed

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad
BiGnAdAd {How To} Manually Deodex Your Froyo Droid X to Allow Custom Themes

You must be rooted & have Froyo 2.2!

This is a guide on manually deodexing, you phone. You will need to perform this if you plan on using developers theme's for Froyo. I have performed this 2 or 3 times on my DX without a problem. If you have questions feel free to ask

Quote:
Deodexed ROMs allow the developer to more easily customize the phone interface.

For example, if you want to change icons or application configuration files. They are not packaged up in a deoxed rom. This allows them to be edited after the ROM is distributed.

There are alot of rom modifications that can only be flashed overtop of a deoxed rom. This is because they need to edit the system files that are packaged in a odex rom. This is where you have to pay attention.

You should not have to do a nandroid backup to flash between odexed and deodexed roms. When you flash a rom you are basically overwriting the system. A nandroid backup is probably overkill, but it will definitely work. The more nand bakups the better.
What you'll need:
A Windows based machine
xUltimate v2.2
Patience

Process:

1. Unzip xUltimate v2.2, and launch "Main.exe"
2. If everything goes well xUlt should recognize the phone and make a connection. You now should see a list of options.
3. Run option 1. After option 1 is done, run option 2.
4. Now these well take a while. Run option 3.
5. IMPORTANT: After you have run option 3, you MUST navigate to the xUltimate folder and find "origi_frame" folder, and delete "guava.odex". It's a bad file, and interferes with deodexing process.
6. Now run option 4, and wait.
7. Exit xUltimate, and put the phone in USB mass storage.
8. Go back into the xUltimate folder and copy "done_frame", and "done_app", and move them to the root of the sdcard.
9. Open a command prompt, and do the following:

Code:
adb shell
su
stop
mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/
cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/
rm /system/app/*.odex
rm /system/framework/*.odex
mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
reboot
Your phone should now be deodexed!

You may notice an increase in speed, and you now have the ability to edit certain files with greater effects. (i.e. services.jar)

Credits Via Alldroid.net:
Rainabba and Mike919: For initially working with me to get a white clock, and later deodex.
toxman: For testing, and being a huge risk taker.
teenfaces: For letting me use his services.jar
And especially Xeudoxus: For letting me a guinea pig, for xUltimate, and answering my questions. And also for the making the xUltimate tool. It defiantly makes thing easier.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Threadstarter

bignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation levelbignadad can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via MSN to bignadad Send a message via Yahoo to bignadad Send a message via Skype™ to bignadad
Re: BiGnAdAd {How To} Manually Deodex Your Froyo Droid X - Allow Custom Themes

reserved....
Old 08-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Verizon

aamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to aamon17
Re: BiGnAdAd {How To} Manually Deodex Your Froyo Droid X to Allow Custom Themes

Thanks Big. I tried it on my rooted Droid X, with the Froyo 2.2 leak installed. And I keep erroring out at step 4 when it tries to deodex framework.odex. See image . . . I've checked the host forum and no solution. I've tried it over and over.

Any thoughts?

---- Former Verizon XV6700
Old 08-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aamon17 View Post
Thanks Big. I tried it on my rooted Droid X, with the Froyo 2.2 leak installed. And I keep erroring out at step 4 when it tries to deodex framework.odex. See image . . . I've checked the host forum and no solution. I've tried it over and over.

Any thoughts?
This is one thing i found. will continue to look into this

OutOfMemoryError

If your Java program is running out of memory, there are several things you can do.
  1. Make unused objects garbage collectable.
  2. Avoid excessive object creation.
  3. Allocate more memory for the heap.
  4. Choose an alternative technique (eg, caching).
First you should understand where things are in memory, and typical reasons for running out of memory. Stack and Heap

Memory is allocated in two regions.
  • The stack is where local variables (declared in methods and constructors) are allocated. Local varables are allocated when a method is entered, and deallocated when the method is exited. Because local variables are small, only primitive types and references, it is very unlikely that the stack will overflow, except in a case of unusually deep or infinite recursion.
  • The heap is where all objects are allocated with new. It is the heap that is more likely to run out of memory. There are several approaches to solving out-of-memory problems in the heap.
Make unused objects garbage collectable

Java's automatic garbage collection recycles an object's memory when there is no active reference to it. When you are finished using a large data structure, make sure there are no references to it. It's easy to leave a reference to unused object around. Assigning null to the reference at the root of the data structure may be sufficient.
I wrote a program which processed source programs in three phases, building a large data structure for the output of each phase. I carelessly kept references to the data structures from the first two phases, even tho I no longer needed them. I was surprised to run out of memory. Simply assigning null to these variables for the unused data structures solved my problem.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

aamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuffaamon17 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to aamon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignadad View Post
This is one thing i found. will continue to look into this
Thank you sir . . .
Old 09-24-2010, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

HellRayzer is a n00b

does debug need to be on, and whatsync mode does the phone need to be in??

thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 07:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

HellRayzer is a n00b

it gets to daemon started successfully.....then nothing. Am i doing some wrong?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRayzer View Post
does debug need to be on, and whatsync mode does the phone need to be in??

thanks
Yes, Need to be in windows media sync
Old 09-25-2010, 04:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2

siff is becoming a great contributor

Alright i have a problem, I've made it thru everything up to the terminal commands. I accidentally deleted the apps before copying them (missed a step) now I have gone to menu-privacy-factory reset. It worked as it reset my phone to stock-ish. I still have the superuser app in the phone. The problem is my contacts do not populate the list when I hit the contacts button on the bottom of my screen. They're in there but do not auto-pop. Any help would be great!
Old 09-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Cotton Pickin' Mod
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siff View Post
Alright i have a problem, I've made it thru everything up to the terminal commands. I accidentally deleted the apps before copying them (missed a step) now I have gone to menu-privacy-factory reset. It worked as it reset my phone to stock-ish. I still have the superuser app in the phone. The problem is my contacts do not populate the list when I hit the contacts button on the bottom of my screen. They're in there but do not auto-pop. Any help would be great!
You should try and perform a SBF

Instructions here

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X > Moto Droid X Themes